Port of Tampa Closed AGAIN!!

johnny75

Looks like Paradise will be late .

Time to move port out of Tampa.

Too many delays.

I'm hoping that was sarcastic. The Port isn't going anywhere. Much of Channelside and the Port area are about to undergo major changes

Unfortunately due to the Sunshine Skyway, the current fleet will be the largest ships to fit under the bridge. Any ideas about constructong a Port north or south of the Bay would be immediately shot down by environmentalisits.

I'm hoping that was sarcastic. The Port isn't going anywhere. Much of Channelside and the Port area are about to undergo major changes

Unfortunately due to the Sunshine Skyway, the current fleet will be the largest ships to fit under the bridge. Any ideas about constructong a Port north or south of the Bay would be immediately shot down by environmentalisits.

There has been talk about putting a port outside the skyway down in Manatee county.

Galveston seems to have a lot of issues with that as well. For that simple reason I will never cruise from there. It's too bad, but I can't be stressing about if I'm gong to be able to board the ship on time, or be able to get back home. I'm nowhere near driving distance and can't take the chance of getting stranded. Even if I book my flight late in the day, that's no guarantee either.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Galveston seems to have a lot of issues with that as well. For that simple reason I will never cruise from there. It's too bad, but I can't be stressing about if I'm gong to be able to board the ship on time, or be able to get back home. I'm nowhere near driving distance and can't take the chance of getting stranded. Even if I book my flight late in the day, that's no guarantee either.

Totally agree! We plan to stick with the East coast of Florida for departures. Even New Orleans can have issues with the Mississippi closing during hurricane season and other flooding times.

Port of NY never closes, has 100 times more traffic.

It also has bridges.

They must use their radar in fog to navigate.

Port of NY can and does have long delays in winter sailings when there's ice chunks flowing throughout the Hudson though.

Only during certain parts of the year. To say you will never cruise form a port because of possible fog issues is just silly. :rolleyes:

34 cruises out of Galveston,major fog problem once, some 2-4 hour delays on several. There is no guarantee of missed flights ANYWHERE. Will not look for you in Galveston, New Orleans, or Tampa. Wishing you smooth-problem free sailing. Tom

Edited by texast518

34 cruises out of Galveston,major fog problem once, some 2-4 hour delays on several. There is no guarantee of missed flights ANYWHERE. Will not look for you in Galveston, New Orleans, or Tampa. Wishing you smooth-problem free sailing. Tom

Did New Orleans on our very first cruise - Conquest 2003. It was OK but I don't see me going back there again.

It seems like the people who get super testy whenever fog delays are brought up are more than likely the ones that frequent the problem ports. Like they are afraid that if enough people complain, Carnival will remove ships from there. I don't think they actually would since they keep putting more there, but you never know. If it keeps up and it ends up being more of a monetary and PR/CS nightmare I guess it could happen.

But you are right, don't look for me leaving from those ports at all. I am obviously not the only one that feels this way, and plenty of people don't mind the potential headaches. Good for them. I am not looking to stress even more about my vacation.

One of the rumors the last few years is that Tampa would trade the Port to St Pete in exchange for the Rays. It would take a few years to all work out but I liked that idea both as a cruiser and as I guy who enjoys an occasional baseball game

Unfortunately, the Port of Tampa remains closed to all ship traffic due to fog. Consequently, due to the uncertainty of when the port will re-open and given the time it takes to disembark guests from the previous cruise, at this point, we are forced to cancel today's embarkation.

I'm very sorry to say, this means your 4-day cruise to Cozumel will now be shortened to a 3-day Cruise to Nowhere embarking tomorrow. Don't worry, we have lots of fun in store for you.

We realize this is an unexpected change in your travel plans and apologize for this disruption to your cruise. Guests who sail with us tomorrow will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks) and a 50% discount on a future 2 to 4 day Carnival cruise*. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

However, should you wish to cancel (and we hope you don't), please contact 1800 CARNIVAL to request a refund of your cruise fare.

We're sorry but refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers or other incidental costs resulting from this weather delay.

Once the ship is able to start making her way towards the terminal, we will confirm your check-in times for tomorrow. We will provide you with another update this evening after 6:00 PM (EST).

In the meantime, to stay in touch, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates.

I understand this issue at Tampa is only during certain months of the year? If so, I don't see why Carnival just does not re-locate the ship during that time period? It's not like there are 14 other ports in Florida for people to sail from.

Its only during certain times of the year and its only really a problem for a few weeks when the weather starts to change from cold to warm. It happened last year around this time too

Edited by William234