Over the door organzier

JABrown104

• 3 weeks later...

A totally useless piece of junk in my opinion. We have never had any problems storing the stuff that we bring. We have friends who routinely do long (>90 day) cruises and they do not use one. If they don't need one, nobody needs one on a 7 - 14 day cruise.

DON

Also do not forget magnetic chip "like" clips for all those invitations or excursion tickets that can be posted on the wall and off the table tops. Best thing ever since the walls are metal under that wall paper.

Also, two strong magnets with hooks and a length of light rope to use as a clothesline to dry bathing suits. Works great!

Also, two strong magnets with hooks and a length of light rope to use as a clothesline to dry bathing suits. Works great!

Although that sounds like a neat idea, isn't the clothesline with which the cabin is already equipped sufficient?

Not all ships have a clothesline in every room.

Oh, wow, really? I haven't yet seen a cabin that didn't have one. Do you know, is it a cruise line or a cabin thing? So, does Princess, for example, not have clotheslines in their cabins, or do interiors (again, just as an example), across several cruise lines not have them?

It's not a big deal, I guess, but since I've always had them, I kinda take them for granted. I would want to be prepared (and maybe employ Teacup317's idea:)) for the lack of a clothesline, as I hop from one cruise line to the next.:o

Oh, wow, really? I haven't yet seen a cabin that didn't have one. Do you know, is it a cruise line or a cabin thing? So, does Princess, for example, not have clotheslines in their cabins, or do interiors (again, just as an example), across several cruise lines not have them?

I think it just depends on the ship. I've been on three different Royal ships and some had them and some didn't. (It's been over a decade since I was on Celebrity and Princess, so I don't recall on those.)

I would never depend on it being there and always plan accordingly -- hooks and string don't take up much room at all in your suitcase! I would use the Command Strip hooks though, instead of magnets -- wet bathing suits can be HEAVY and not all magnets are strong enough. Command Strips come off easily without damaging the wall, and the bigger ones can hold 5 pounds each (ten pounds with two hooks and some string).

I think it just depends on the ship. I've been on three different Royal ships and some had them and some didn't. (It's been over a decade since I was on Celebrity and Princess, so I don't recall on those.)

I would never depend on it being there and always plan accordingly -- hooks and string don't take up much room at all in your suitcase! I would use the Command Strip hooks though, instead of magnets -- wet bathing suits can be HEAVY and not all magnets are strong enough. Command Strips come off easily without damaging the wall, and the bigger ones can hold 5 pounds each (ten pounds with two hooks and some string).

Thanks, this is good to know. I'll be sure to bring my own clothesline rig for any new-to-me ship / cabin from now on.

Thanks, Teacup and Brillohead!:)

I just read last night on Carnivals site that the over the door organizers need to be fire retardant. I'm going to take a guess and say the cheap one I just got at Wal-Mart isn't. ???

I just read last night on Carnivals site that the over the door organizers need to be fire retardant. I'm going to take a guess and say the cheap one I just got at Wal-Mart isn't. ???

That sounds silly.... towels aren't fire retardant, clothing isn't fire retardent, why would anything else that a passenger brings need to be?

Heard of "fire rated" doors? Why condone anything that threatens their effectiveness?

A shoe organizer isn't going to affect a door any more than a bathrobe or towel hanging on the pegs provided for that purpose. :rolleyes:

Agree and use mine. Got it at the goodwill with deep pockets and hang it on the back of bathroom door with those removable hooks that do no damage. It keeps toiletries off the counter and at your fingertips. Works great for us. Different strokes for different folks!

Yes, must agree that we all march to our own drummers.

DH and I used one on our last cruise and really liked having everything visible and within easy reach. While there is probably enough storage space in the cabinets, it was so much easier for us to have pockets for our stuff.

And we liked having a pop-up hamper for dirty clothes. Also took a solid air freshener for the bathroom, and magnetic hooks for hanging papers, tickets, etc. on the wall. All of those things will be in my suitcase for upcoming cruises. :)

We took some plastic clothes pins and wire clothes hangers. We put the clothes pins on the hanger and hung the hanger in the shower or on the back of a chair on the balcony (while we were there to keep an eye on things). Much easier than trying to run a clothes line when there was nothing to connect the line to.

Have one and love it. We always sail three to a cabin, with a 21 Yr old son with electronics and cords, Chargers, and a zillion others things, including medical equipment, it keeps me from hearing... Have you seen my... Make life so much easier. I agree, don't understand why people on here get so snippy and bent out of shape about people using one. I'm sure if I came to your cabin you would probably have something that I would never bring, need or use on a vacation, but I would never tell you it's worthless or your stupid for bringing it. Goodness get over yourselves.

We took some plastic clothes pins and wire clothes hangers. We put the clothes pins on the hanger and hung the hanger in the shower or on the back of a chair on the balcony (while we were there to keep an eye on things). Much easier than trying to run a clothes line when there was nothing to connect the line to.

I had to read if I wrote this. I bring wire clothes hangers too with clothes pins. Like minds!

Have one and love it. We always sail three to a cabin, with a 21 Yr old son with electronics and cords, Chargers, and a zillion others things, including medical equipment, it keeps me from hearing... Have you seen my... Make life so much easier. I agree, don't understand why people on here get so snippy and bent out of shape about people using one. I'm sure if I came to your cabin you would probably have something that I would never bring, need or use on a vacation, but I would never tell you it's worthless or your stupid for bringing it. Goodness get over yourselves.

Laura....I am so with you with your statement! Hate stuff just sitting around or all over the counters. Small spaces need organization!

I had to read if I wrote this. I bring wire clothes hangers too with clothes pins. Like minds!

I must admit that I read many "Helpful hints" on cruise critic message boards before my last cruise. I found many of them to be truly helpful, including use of magnetic hooks, over the door shoe bag, hangers with clothes pins and large clips for towels on lounge chairs. Added a few of my own including sticky notes or a magnetic whiteboard/message board for leaving messages on our family members' cabin doors, and pop up hampers for dirty laundry.

Do you have any other tips to share? I am always interested in learning from other cruisers.

Laura....I am so with you with your statement! Hate stuff just sitting around or all over the counters. Small spaces need organization!

Agree. We hang ours in the closet if there's enough room, or on the bathroom door if the closet cannot accommodate it.

We use it for all kinds of "stuff" like pens, sticky notes, shoe horns, cough drops, daily programs, assorted papers like reservation cards for on board activities or restaurants, etc. We hate clutter on the few flat surfaces in the cabin because stuff eventually winds up in the drawers which makes it a challenge to find. Ours has several pockets of varying sizes so it makes it easy to find anything.

But the major benefit of the organizer is that when it's time to pack up, it's a breeze to simply fold up and pack the organizer.

Oh, and one other plus. When the door to the balcony is opened, "stuff" stored on flat surfaces doesn't blow around.