Different Pricing for Husband and Wife on HAL Website?

SilvertoGold

I was just looking at the HAL website and found that the pricing is different for my husband and me. We are both 5 stars.

Yesterday I was using my Mariner number; this morning I used my husband's, no particular reason, just a fluke. The pricing had changed: nothing strange, or so I thought.

BUT this afternoon I tried both numbers one after another on 4 separate cruises: on each one my DH's Mariner number got a lower price.

Anyone experience this? Know anything about this?

Thanks

Wow....... this is incredible.

What in the world is going on? That's nutty.

I usually use my own Mariner number, but once in awhile my DH's. Does HAL track this and give the one who uses the site the least a better deal?

I think I read that airlines do something like this......?

It is true for us on several occasions. DH is 2 star and I am now 3.

We periodically receive private sales. Apparently we are in different demographic groups. Last week, on the same day, I received a private sale mailer and he got a glossy, several page piece on Alaska. Both were "special" pricing. Some were better priced on his, some on mine.

It was really annoying when he received a "whopper deal" after final for a cruise I was booked for solo- and at a much higher rate ( even with the single supplement). My TA couldn't believe it, and HAL declined to change my booking (although I did a nice upgrade).

About 1 1/2 years ago, I checked prices for a cruise we will soon be doing.

I am registered under a different e-mail than my DH.

Yes -- I got different prices.

Mine was actually lower and we used mine to book the cruise.

Thanks, KK.

Same situation, both 5 stars, different emails.

Why on earth should this be?

What does HAL use to make a distinction?

I have never seen this before. Does this mean I have to check both Mariner numbers every cruise I look up? ? What a waste of my time and what a bore! Sheesh!!

It is true for us on several occasions. DH is 2 star and I am now 3.

We periodically receive private sales. Apparently we are in different demographic groups. Last week, on the same day, I received a private sale mailer and he got a glossy, several page piece on Alaska. Both were "special" pricing. Some were better priced on his, some on mine.

It was really annoying when he received a "whopper deal" after final for a cruise I was booked for solo- and at a much higher rate ( even with the single supplement). My TA couldn't believe it, and HAL declined to change my booking (although I did a nice upgrade).

Hmm... "different demographic groups". I wonder...... sounds strange applied to a married couple.

Since you are not at the same star level I guess HAL's computer programs might treat you differently.

Thanks for the imput, very interesting!

I usually use my own Mariner number, but once in awhile my DH's. Does HAL track this and give the one who uses the site the least a better deal?

I think I read that airlines do something like this......?

DH and I are now both three-star. I'll try pricing a cruise using each of our #s.

I got the same pricing for each of our Mariner #s when I tried. Would you share which cruises, and I'll try a couple of them?

Hmm... "different demographic groups". I wonder...... sounds strange applied to a married couple.

Since you are not at the same star level I guess HAL's computer programs might treat you differently.

Thanks for the imput, very interesting!

When the private sale referred to arrived for my husband we were both 2 star with identical days. It may also be that I was booked and he wasn't.... Our ages are different also, spanning a certain threshold.;)

I got the same pricing for each of our Mariner #s when I tried. Would you share which cruises, and I'll try a couple of them?

1.Volendam, April 16, Yokahama to Vancouver, 19 days

2. N. Amsterdam, April 10, Ft L to Vancouver, 20 days

I just look at the insides; these are green pricing.

When the private sale referred to arrived for my husband we were both 2 star with identical days. It may also be that I was booked and he wasn't.... Our ages are different also, spanning a certain threshold.;)

HAL certainly keeps a lot of info at the ready! Your situation is very different from ours, so I can see what happens.

What makes me wonder is that this has never happened before. I know this because my TA always uses my DH's Mariner number to books us; i use my own to research. The pricing has always the same.

It is commonly referred to as dynamic pricing. The commonly held idea of one price for all has not been in practice for years. Dynamic pricing online is especially insidious as the pricing can be based on quite a wide range of factors: your IP address, service provider, browser history, operating system, previous history on the website, portable device....the list just goes on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregpetro/2015/04/17/dynamic-pricing-which-customers-are-worth-the-most-amazon-delta-airlines-and-staples-weigh-in/#7be18053b516

Even more reason why you should really protect the amount of personal information that you share when you visit online sites. It could actually be costing you more $$$.

I've experienced this, too! Numerous times, and the difference can be in the hundreds of dollars. My husband and I have the exact same history (& same Preferences checked, too). But any travel agent can access the rates if alerted. I've also seen the sale price online the day before a sale begins (where HAL reps couldn't see them; was advised to do a Print Screen).

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Wow, that's wild :eek: Do you and your DH have Mariner #s that are close together in sequence?
Your Mariner numbers will appear to be not in sequence unless you ignore the 9th digit. That one is a calculated checksum digit to detect typing errors in the first 8 digits.

Your Mariner numbers will appear to be not in sequence unless you ignore the 9th digit. That one is a calculated checksum digit to detect typing errors in the first 8 digits.

Interesting tidbit, thanks! (DH's number is far removed from mine because I've been a Mariner since 1994, and he's only been once since 2008)

Interesting info.

Here is something else I just noticed:

I never sign in right off the when I go to the HAL website, but do so only when I have a cruise called up and then I log-in and get a green price.

This afternoon I did log-in right off the bat when I when to the site.

Then, I called up the cruise I wanted and lo and behold, no green pricing, but the 'regular" pricing you get if you do not log-in.

Volendam DH $2338.70 Cdn Me $2338.70 Cdn

NA DH $2598.70 Cdn Me $2598.70 Cdn

So he and I are getting the same pricing, which may or may not have ANY resemblance to ANY of the pricing you are seeing ;)

No "green" pricing showing for me.

My DH:

Volendam--2038.40 + tax (green)

N. Amsterdam--1999.40 +tax (green)

Me: a couple of hundred more for both cruises.

Both are green pricing and I do not sign in until I am on the page with the specific cruise (ie: not when I go to the site at first).

Thanks for looking, much appreciated!

It is commonly referred to as dynamic pricing. The commonly held idea of one price for all has not been in practice for years. Dynamic pricing online is especially insidious as the pricing can be based on quite a wide range of factors: your IP address, service provider, browser history, operating system, previous history on the website, portable device....the list just goes on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregpetro/2015/04/17/dynamic-pricing-which-customers-are-worth-the-most-amazon-delta-airlines-and-staples-weigh-in/#7be18053b516

Even more reason why you should really protect the amount of personal information that you share when you visit online sites. It could actually be costing you more $$$.

Very interesting: thanks.

From reading this board I knew that different level Mariners got different pricing (sometimes). So, there are a lot of variables involved.

I wonder why this just today kicked in for us. Maybe it was that latest survey........