Just off the Vision - the good and the bad

Arrived in Tampa 2 days pre-cruise and stayed at the Marriott Waterside and Marina. The hotel was good - not great, but expensive. I chose it mainly for proximity to The dock and Univ of Tampa. Rooms were ok, but really dislike hearing toilets being flushed in other rooms.

1st night I had a great time with an old friend I had not seen in over 20 years. Because of the horrible weather we ate at the hotel. The food was good but not a huge food selection. Because it was so empty, we were allowed to stay and just chat.

On Friday I walked to the Florida Aquarium (very short distance away) and really enjoyed the time there. Staff was very informative. That night I spent time with my great-niece that attends the Univ of Tampa. We went to eat, then I got a tour of her school. Was very impressed with the campus.

A little about myself -- I'm in my late (ok, very late) 50's and have been on about 13 cruises. This was my 4th cruise in a year (3rd with RCCL and one with NCL). It was also my 3rd solo cruise.

Being that it was Gaspirilla (spelling?) weekend I left the hotel at 10:30 and a short (very short) taxi ride later I was at the dock. FYI - if you don't have a lot of luggage it would be an easy walk from hotel to dock.

Boarding was the quickest I have ever seen. Walked right in, no line, had picture taken and waited maybe 15 minutes and was allowed to board. I was onboard by 11:00!!

The windjammer opened at 11:30 or 12:00. Rooms were ready right at 1:00.

SHIP

For an older ship it was in great shape and very very clean. RCCL seems to take great pride in their ships. After just being on the Oasis in November, I thought I would be under-whelmed with the Vision, but not so. It does not have all of the bells and whistles, but didn't miss them at all.

I had an outside room on the 2nd deck. I did miss my usual balcony room just a little, but it would have been way too expensive on this ship. The room and storage was plenty big for one or two, think 3 would be really pushing it. My stateroom attendant was not the best. Always seemed to have to ask for things and then he'd forget. He did get better as the cruise went on.

The theater was very nice and had good viewing from just about everywhere.

Only one outside pool that became quite crowded but it was fine. The chair hogs were around but didn't see any saved chairs at 6 AM LOL!!

FOOD

I really was not impressed with the Windjammer for breakfast. The eggs were horrible - I actually liked them on previous cruises. I always found something to eat but again was not thrilled with offerings

Lunch in the Windjammer was such a better experience. Loved the stir-fry section - yup, had it every day. The hot items were good as were the salads. BUT, the best was my bread pudding. I couldn't wait to have some and had it every day it was offered.

I did not have dinner in the Windjammer nor did I eat breakfast or lunch in dining room.

I ate at the Park Cafe 2 mornings. Very small selections but good.

DINING ROOM AND MY TIME DINING

I booked all of my dining ahead of time for the same time each night and was glad I did. I saw long long lines for people without reservations and stories of having only later slots for dining.

My waiters, Tony and Valentin, were amazing. They went above and beyond to make sure the dining experience was great. After the 1st night, I requested their table for the week as did many of the table around me. Tables are very,very close together but I had wonderful people next to me so conversations flowed.

The food was very very good. I've read such horror stories on the boards that I was not expecting much, so was pleasantly surprised. Tony was very good at bringing you extras or something different to try.

The only place I see RCCL lacking is their desserts. SAD!

I ate at one speciality restaurant, Izumi. Enjoyed the food but thought it was a bit overpriced for a cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT

Oh my, where do I begin. OK, out with it -- most nights were HORRIBLE! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!! The production numbers were amateurish and something I rarely do, but I walked out twice! The 1st comedian and the impersonator were amazing. Totally loved them. One night was a group of 3 men, can't remember the name of the group, and although they had wonderful voices, it just was not my type of music - others however raved about them.

Game shows were fun. Especially liked the Battle of the Sexes. Probably would have enjoyed The Quest if I didn't have obnoxious people around me.

DISEMBARKING

I heard horror stories from friends that were on the Vision the beginning of January. They told me getting a taxi was a nightmare. I had such a different experience. My time to get off was 8:30 so arrived at meeting spot about 7:45 (dining room). Plenty of places to sit but communication between staff and passengers was a little lacking. At 8:30 we were told we could disembark. It was a very orderly process. Found my suitcase and a porter right away and was through customs in a very short time. The porter took me right up to a waiting taxi and I was off to the airport. At the airport by 9:30 for a 12:00 flight to Philly.

PART II FOR PORT REVIEWS LATER!

Thanks for that, we are on her in September

I don't do deserts:D and we didn't do any shows when on The Allure last year, so what you have written is more than comforting to me as I was a little worried about going from The Allure to the Vison:eek:

We got off the ship the day you got on:D and it was one of the easiest disembarkations ever. I wish I could say the same about embarkation but they were having problems with the computers so that slowed things way down. It took about an hour from the time we got into a long, long line to go through security and actually walked on the ship.

We thought the food in the MDR was pretty good, also. The rolls were absolutely delicious! Desserts were ok. Our wait staff, Eduardo & Ying, were one of the best ever! WJ food was typical WJ food. We did not lose any weight!:D

I kind of agree with you about the entertainment. The first production show was ok but the second one seemed a little weak. We liked the trio of male singers you mentioned, as well as a singer, Lou Gazarra ?, who was very entertaining.

We had a great cruise, weather good have been better but we still had fun!

Sherri:)

Sorry for those that asked but I did not use the Wifi nor do I have the Compasses.

KEY WEST

Docked at the Naval pier so had to take shuttle into town. Make sure you have your sea pass and photo ID because it will be checked on the return trip.

Town was very very crowded due to streets being blocked off for an art festival. It was also very hot that day. I had planned on spending the day walking around but due to the crowds and heat returned to ship within a hour. I've always loved Key West but just not into the heat that day.

SEA DAY

Had a beautiful day at sea. Yes, the chair hogs were out but I was able to find a chair when I went out about 9:30 on the top deck - which is where I prefer to be. It was hot but with periodic dips in the pool it was a fun day.

BELIZE

I did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour through the ship - long, about 6 hours. The bus ride to the ruins was long but was kept entertained by our tour guide, Marlena (think that was her name). She was very informative and kept it fun. Once at the ruins we were turned over to Almalia (?) who again went out of her way to give you information. There are not a lot of ruins but they were amazing and I enjoyed my time there. Back on the bus to a little restaurant - meal not included in price of tour - for about 45 minutes. I did not eat anything there - had my protein bar and peanut butter crackers. We were loaded onto the boat to travel the river. It was beautiful. Saw a few small crocodiles, monkeys, bats and at the end of the tour some manatees. Because it was such a hot day, I was so glad we did the river at the end - refreshing!!

I can't say enough about this tour group - they really went out of their way to provide information and just to make sure you are having a good time.

In Belize, you must tender in and it takes about 20 - 30 minutes.

COSTA MAYA

I was really looking forward to this port. I had reservations at Maya Chan - I had read so many great reviews that I couldn't wait to get there. Unfortunately, due to high winds we were unable to dock so it was just a sea day. The crew did their best to keep everyone entertained. Sat around on the deck most of the day hopping in and out of the pool to cool down. Ok, and getting just a little burnt!!

COZUMEL

I did the dolphin and manatee encounter through the ship. Early morning - meeting time was 7:15. A short taxi ride to the park, we were given lockers and a brief orientation of what was in the park. Got our life vests and headed to the dolphin pen. The Dolphins were a lot of fun but was not thrilled with the trainer. Just seemed to have no personality. We got pulled through the water by holding the Dolphins fins, pushed by our feet through the water, kissed and some hand/fin shaking. Then off to the manatees. They are hungry little (big) buggers. We just stood on a platform and fed them lettuce. All they wanted to do was eat. I felt that more information could have been given about them but not a whole lot was given.

I wandered off then to check out the rest of the park. Went down to the beach and swam in the water a little then off to the sea lion show. Torrential downpour! I was actually shivering from the cold. I didn't mind getting went since I still had my bathingsuit and coverup on, but I felt miserable. Finally found some cover. Downpour didn't last long but by then the sea lion show was over so I decided to go back to the ship. The guide,Miguel, that accompanied us was great.

SEA DAY

Oh my, wind and large waves. 10th deck was roped off, pools drained and covered. It was actually chilly. They had sea sick bags available on all of the stair railings. So much for more sun. Went back to cabin to pack and then lunch in windjammer. They showed Frozen in the theater, so I watched that.

OASIS VS VISION

I really though I would be bored on the Vision but happy to saw I had a great time. If you are looking for great entertainment only then the Oasis is for you. If you are looking to relax and have a good time, meet people etc. then the Vision was great. I gave to say that on the Oasis, I never ran into the same person twice. On the Vision, always saw people again which for me makes it fun. I love to hear where others are from, what their prior cruise experience has been and what their future cruise plans are.

I do think this was an older crowd on the ship - I think they said only 40 children, but never saw that many. Have to give a thumbs up to the parents - no children running all around knocking people over and being rude. These kids were so much fun - loved seeing them have a great time.

I really did prefer this ship over the Oasis. I liked the fact that from just about everywhere there were water views, not so on the Oasis.

NEXT CRUISE

Next cruise will be on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan and going to St Thomas, St Kitts, Curaçao and Aruba in November. My first junior suite and aft cabin.

WiFi on the Vision is OK. I have a tablet that I use in my cabin for checking emails and FB. Downloading videos is very slow though.

Thanks for this! I'll have to check e-mail and reply using iMessage (send/receive texts). Think it'll work? I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks again to the OP for your review. Very helpful!

Thanks for this! I'll have to check e-mail and reply using iMessage (send/receive texts). Think it'll work? I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks again to the OP for your review. Very helpful!

iMessage works on the Vision WiFi.

We were on the Vision end of March 2015. I enjoyed the egg bar every morning in the Windjammer - what's better than having your eggs prepared the exact way you want them and hot on your plate! If you're going to do the MTD in the MDR, I would suggest making reservations as the lines for no reservations were very long.

The only problem we had was the 1,000 drunk obnoxious college kids. They made such a mess at the pool the pool deck had to be hosed off in the evening it was so sticky you couldn't even walk. I don't know if they were banned from the pool area after the 2nd day or not but after that they ended up on the deck with the walking track and would hardly let anyone by when we tried to get exercise by walking/running the track. Again, at the end of each day it was so sticky with spilled drinks the crew had to hose it down. And the trash they left behind was ridiculous - they couldn't even bother to throw their garbage away.

They had little kids crying on the tender back from Belize because they were so drunk and screaming their fight song (Tennessee Vols) at the top of their lungs and wouldn't stop even after the parents and tender crew asked them to stop. Just kept shouting curse words at everyone who tried to get them to quiet down because of these little kids. It was the worst behavior I had ever seen. They bragged that they'd all bought the unlimited drink packages and were going to get their money's worth.