Help finding true Chip & pin Credit Card

Actually, the U.S. is ahead of the times and realizes how "compromised" these "Chip & Pin" cards are. Rather than join in with the crowd, we are waiting for a safer alternative:eek: Additionally, we have not had an issue using our non- "C&P" cards in Europe, South America and Africa.

Not sure if your post was sarcastic or not, but generally speaking, the US banking system is couple decades behind the European one (and even some African ones, surprisingly) when it comes to service and security. Even paper cheques are still being used, which is amazing to me!

Also chip and pin cards are infinitely safer than magnetic ones. Of course they are not 100% fraud proof (nothing is), but saying that you prefer to stick to a significantly inferior technology, because the new technology is not perfect, is a very flawed logic.

BTW, there's a cool solution with a new technology called bitcoin, you can have an online wallet that you can charge and it is connected to a debit chip card.

The fees are quite low and you can only store as much money as you are going to use.

Also it's not associated with any bank, which is quite cool.

The name of the company is Xapo.

Edited by SockPuppetPrince

Not sure if your post was sarcastic or not, but generally speaking, the US banking system is couple decades behind the European one (and even some African ones, surprisingly) when it comes to service and security. Even paper cheques are still being used, which is amazing to me!

Also chip and pin cards are infinitely safer than magnetic ones. Of course they are not 100% fraud proof (nothing is), but saying that you prefer to stick to a significantly inferior technology, because the new technology is not perfect, is a very flawed logic.

BTW, there's a cool solution with a new technology called bitcoin, you can have an online wallet that you can charge and it is connected to a debit chip card.

The fees are quite low and you can only store as much money as you are going to use.

Also it's not associated with any bank, which is quite cool.

The name of the company is Xapo.

To add to this excellent post, the biggest problem with the chip and pin cards is the continued inclusion of the magnetic strip which makes the cards easy to "skim" and steal your card information. Once hopefully the US comes into the 21st century with the excellent chip & pin and removes the horrible magnetic strip, our cards while not perfect, will become much more secure as cards in most of the world currently are.

As far as the described Bitcoin/Xapo, IMHO, debit cards are to be avoided at all costs as they don't have the protection of credit cards as well as much prefer to use the bank's money until full payment and credit cards offer the ability to earn hundreds and thousands of dollars as well as free international flights and other perks that debit cards don't.

That being said, ONLY use credit cards for points/miles/rewards if you can and do pay them off every month and NEVER carry a balance!!!!

That being said, ONLY use credit cards for points/miles/rewards if you can and do pay them off every month and NEVER carry a balance!!!!

Good point! We pay off the balance every month so I don't even think about the interest rate but I believe it is near 20%, crazy!!!:eek:

I have a Visa card with chase bank that has a chip and pin #. No foreign transaction fees. Our card earns miles but I am sure that you could get the cash back option.

Either way, have fun on your trip! :D

I may be wrong but I think you should check again with chase. The PIN they provide with their chip cards is for cash withdrawal not a true chip and pin. In a pinch you could use it but would encounter cash charges. I have two cards with chase and they do not offer true chip and pin when I approached them. Like most U S banks their employees said chip and sig worked anywhere. I countered with auto gas stations as well as RR ticket machines and they said well " a few places might not work". Someday U S banks will catch up but their prime reason for not going to C and P is they do not think Americans can remember their pins.

I am fairly new to posting on these boards, I am not sure why in my above post the quote from rallydave is not in a nice "darker box". Sorry if it is confusing. :o

If you hit the little blue lozenge at the lower right hand corner of the post to which you're responding, you'll pull up all the text, but you'll also pull up instructions to the computer to create the darker box. Those instructions include a command to both begin and end the darker text.

The beginning command will start as follows: [quote =

Next will come the name of the poster, the punctuation sign ;

Then comes a number which uniquely identifies the post you're quoting.

Finally, there's a closing square bracket.

I'm typing the complete code with spaces where none really exist, otherwise, the computer thinks I want a dark box in the middle of this post:

The end of the text looks like this (again with extra spaces to trick the computer) [/ QUOTE]

You can see some of that command remaining at the end of your post.

What happened in your case is that you only wanted to quote a fragment of rallydave's post. In the process of deleting the material you didn't want' date=' you deleted the opening command

There's no problem editing down someone else's post so you highlight the section you're responding to if you do it carefully. The problem arises when you delete the necessary commands.

The end command is easy enough to type in manually, assuming you do it accurately. The opening command is somewhat longer so it's best if you check over your work before you begin typing when deleting from the beginning of someone's quote. If you've eliminated that opening code, its easiest to go back to the list of posts, and start over by hitting the blue "quote" lozenge.

Lots of detail I know but this ought to produce the results you want.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thanks wheezedr for the heads up about chase.

I phoned chase today and they said the chip will be read by the European card readers but the pin does not work - you can still use the card but when prompted to enter your pin # - do not - just hit enter and all should be good - they may or may not ask for a signature at that time.

Chase said the pin at this time is only used for withdrawals at an atm and cash advances.

We shall see when we are there in about a month! :D

Thanks Pet Nit Noy for the tutorial - tried to reply showing my new "quoting skills" - still not right - only half was in the "darker box" - hence this edited reply.

Will refer to your posting and try again when have more time!

Edited by deefer
doesn't look right

Someday U S banks will catch up but their prime reason for not going to C and P is they do not think Americans can remember their pins.

And yet they want us to use ATMs as much as possible to keep their organic interface costs down :p

wheezed;

The excuse of Americans not being able to remember their PINs was a tongue in cheek statement made by a news outlet several years ago. Though funny, it isn't true. The reason we Americans don't have true chip and PIN is because of the push back by many retailers, primarily smaller ones. The conversion to chip and PIN technology requires new software and new hardware for the merchants. Chip & PIN upgrades is even more expensive than c&S. Many smaller merchants do not want to expend the funds for a system which yields no increased monetary returns for them. The costs range from just less to $1K to about $1.5K depending upon various circumstances. The government has mandated nothing in this area.

So what we have now is a system where the banks are no longer liable for fraud loss on the system if it is found that problem arose from a merchant on the old mag stripe system. Many retailers in our area have yet to convert over to even chip and Sign, so they are liable for fraud, theft, and loses that arise out of using the older system. However, many of the smaller merchants are saying "Go to Hell" customers, try bleeding this turnip and see how much blood you get, I'm not spending a dime on the new system." The consumers only recourse is to stop doing business with those merchants that refuse to put in the new technologies to safeguard our financial information. This means leaving the merchandise on the counter and walking away from the store.

As more and more of the larger merchants/chains convert over, the authorities expect the hackers to start targeting in more and more on these smaller merchants where the pickings may not be as large, but easier to come by.

wheezed;

The excuse of Americans not being able to remember their PINs was a tongue in cheek statement made by a news outlet several years ago. Though funny, it isn't true. The reason we Americans don't have true chip and PIN is because of the push back by many retailers, primarily smaller ones. The conversion to chip and PIN technology requires new software and new hardware for the merchants. Chip & PIN upgrades is even more expensive than c&S. Many smaller merchants do not want to expend the funds for a system which yields no increased monetary returns for them. The costs range from just less to $1K to about $1.5K depending upon various circumstances. The government has mandated nothing in this area.

So what we have now is a system where the banks are no longer liable for fraud loss on the system if it is found that problem arose from a merchant on the old mag stripe system. Many retailers in our area have yet to convert over to even chip and Sign, so they are liable for fraud, theft, and loses that arise out of using the older system. However, many of the smaller merchants are saying "Go to Hell" customers, try bleeding this turnip and see how much blood you get, I'm not spending a dime on the new system." The consumers only recourse is to stop doing business with those merchants that refuse to put in the new technologies to safeguard our financial information. This means leaving the merchandise on the counter and walking away from the store.

As more and more of the larger merchants/chains convert over, the authorities expect the hackers to start targeting in more and more on these smaller merchants where the pickings may not be as large, but easier to come by.

If this was the only reason then US banks could do what Barclays and other foreign banks do, offer a chip card which can be used either as chip and sig or default to chip and pin as needed. In addition they could offer to there prime customers a true chip and pin alternative for travel. As they do neither of these it is clear that they are not interested in "customer service". At least some credit unions are willing to take this step so it is not impossible to do as banks claim.

We keep the Barclay Arrival+ just for the chip and pin capabilities. It's a pretty good card to use even without this feature, because you get 2 points per dollar that can be redeemed against travel.

The only problem I have with it is that some legitimate travel expenses, like airport parking lot charges are not counted as travel.

If you can get it with the 40K sign-on bonus I would go for it. The first year fee is waived automatically, and I just got this year's fee waived by calling in and asking.

We used it most recently in Amsterdam on a day-long layover. We didn't have to stand in a huge line to buy train tickets into town because we could use the self-service kiosk with the Arrival. We also saved time by using it at the luggage storage lockers.

A few years ago, I in St. Barts for a day, and someone had let me borrow their car. The only gas stations on the island are unattended, and you HAVE to use a Chip and Pin card. I had to cut my day short because of this. Fortunately St. Barts has some really nice wine bars where I could spend the rest of my day.