Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Currently at Sydney Airport way too early for my flight to Ayers Rock. Taxi, bag left at luggage storage, checked in and through security in 50 minutes from leaving hotel.

Question for you, bearing in mind the incidents at Brussels airport and environs, how is it each time, and I mean EACH time I boarded Solstice I had to be 'patted down' whereas here nothing, just sailed through?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Currently at Sydney Airport way too early for my flight to Ayers Rock. Taxi, bag left at luggage storage, checked in and through security in 50 minutes from leaving hotel.

Question for you, bearing in mind the incidents at Brussels airport and environs, how is it each time, and I mean EACH time I boarded Solstice I had to be 'patted down' whereas here nothing, just sailed through?

I was never patted down ever on Solstice?

you are flying domestic, within Aus so the security is not as stringent as going thru the scanners for an international flight .

but it should be...

Hey, Linda,

Just wanted to add to the list my appreciation of your blog. I'm a coeliac, so it's been great checking out all your food-related posts! Cruising vicariously with you has been a blast. Best wishes for the rest of your time here in Aus and for your trip home. :)

It could be all your own fault Linda... maybe an attractive lady such as yourself just brings out the desire to "pat you down" in the security man at the Solstice gangway...:)

I wasn't patted down on Solstice, but have been at Sydney domestic terminal!! And scanned for gun powder or whatever they do with that wand thingy!

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It could be all your own fault Linda... maybe an attractive lady such as yourself just brings out the desire to "pat you down" in the security man at the Solstice gangway...:)

Blush

Was always a lady security guard doing the checking....

Am in my room at the Desert Gardens Hotel at the Ayers Rock Resort. I've booked tours and won't tell those of you still reading along until I can post the pics..... I've got the final ones on board to post, then Sydney 3 wonderful days...... but what I'm doing tomorrow is..... a first for me.

The flight here was quite bumpy but I slept most of the way; free transit to the resort from the airport which only has the one baggage carousel. My room was ready on arrival which was nice. It lacked a safe however..... and I've a ground floor room. A safe has been fitted..... room is a good size with a tub in the bathroom and a large terrace. There's a shuttle bus that tours the resort every 15 minutes so one doesn't need to walk between the hotels or the activities. Plenty of free stuff to do and watch.

Have seen Uluru from a distance. Thanks for still being out there..... I will need to read from the beginning when I get back..... so much has happened!!

There are at least two couples here who I know from Solstice and tonight I'm having dinner with a friend met last year on Rhapsody..... she's an American and happens to be here..... mutual friends pointed that out to us!!! So I've been reunited with nearly all those I became close to on that cruise this cruise. How wonderful is that! Fremantle x 2, Sydney x 3 and now Uluru. And then my friend from Oasis. I'm so happy to have such a refined circle of friends!! ;)

There was a choir.

Someone has posted the performance on Youtube. My left arm features a supporting role. They've posted 4 clips and in one I walk by twice..... I have walking by nailed.

I had dinner with Brenda in Murano.... she was off duty but has to wear uniform when in public.

DSCN9989.jpg

A different Amuse Bouche

DSCN9990.jpg

Bisque

DSCN9991.jpg

DSCN9992.jpg

She has something crunchy with hers

DSCN9993.jpg

George preparing Brenda's lobster

DSCN9998.jpg

Had a lovely GF dinner with a friend from the USA made on Rhapsody last year who serendipitously happened to be here. Lots of catching up.

This is what I did this morning. Sorry about the teaser but uploading here is impossible...worse than the Radisson which was faster but as unpredictable as Solstice.

1422400_10156739603700352_8623603708348235406_n.jpg?oh=d6ba009b9996c2bb52854d52d29c6548&oe=57862DDA

This place is definitely a cure for the post cruise blues.

Had a lovely GF dinner with a friend from the USA made on Rhapsody last year who serendipitously happened to be here. Lots of catching up.

This is what I did this morning. Sorry about the teaser but uploading here is impossible...worse than the Radisson which was faster but as unpredictable as Solstice.

1422400_10156739603700352_8623603708348235406_n.jpg?oh=d6ba009b9996c2bb52854d52d29c6548&oe=57862DDA

This place is definitely a cure for the post cruise blues.

No spoilers from me - but I did forget to mention that your chances of decent internet would be out the window! :rolleyes:

No spoilers from me - but I did forget to mention that your chances of decent internet would be out the window! :rolleyes:

I was able to upload one at a time to FB here.

Tomorrow I have a sunrise tour to view Uluru with a cultural component; following Kuranda have opted out of a hike around the base.

In the afternoon and evening I've a sunset view tour of Uluru and Kata Tjuta.

Some differences between Ayers Rock Resort and a cruise ship :

No-one cares what you are wearing or if your clothes are creased.

There are no photographers vying to take that pic of you as you leave your room.

You can camp here and ride a camel.

They do however still have Chinese programmes on the TV.

There are no photographers vying to take that pic of you as you leave your room.

PS You can do your own laundry and have crocodile hot dogs here.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

This is Australia!!!!!!! Chinese and all - they would be one of the biggest groups to visit our Outback I expect! :)

I was able to upload one at a time to FB here.

Tomorrow I have a sunrise tour to view Uluru with a cultural component; following Kuranda have opted out of a hike around the base.

In the afternoon and evening I've a sunset view tour of Uluru and Kata Tjuta.

You don't need to walk the full base. Been 3 times now and never have in any case! Always something else to do.

You don't need to walk the full base. Been 3 times now and never have in any case! Always something else to do.

Highlights of the tour :

• Experience Uluru sunrise
  • Drive around the Uluru base
  • Learn about the Anangu
  • Mutitjulu Walk Aboriginal rock art
  • Uluru - Kata Tjuta Cultural Centre
  • Get up close & touch Uluru

Kata Tjuta & Uluru sunset

• Magical Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
  • Scenic outback drive to Kata Tjuta
  • Walk through Walpa Gorge
  • Learn about the local geology
  • Experience the amazing Uluru sunset
  • Enjoy sparkling wine at sunset

In the evening tomorrow I'm going on an Astro tour with the resident astronomer. Full day. As it's a very early start, and I have breakfast included, they are making me up a packed GF breakfast to go. Pick up for tour 0530.

I saw sunset up at a lookout tonight but the sun was more behind me than Uluru ;)

Edited by NorbertsNiece