Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Our wonderful guide treated us to New Zealand delicacies.

DSCN6003.jpg

Kiwi juice and L&P, a lemonade favoured above cola.

DSCN6004.jpg

New Zealand is now overrun by possum.....

DSCN6005.jpg

Was an absolutely fabulous afternoon.

Back in Auckland I head to an Irish Pub, O'Hagans to meet up with some CC friends for dinner.

DSCN6006.jpg

The food pics are not suitable for posting but here is a non-alcoholic New Zealand favourite..... Lemonade, Lime and Bitters. Was very refreshing.

DSCN6007.jpg

Hi Linda

Was just coming on here to see if you were safe from the earthquake and you've been posting more updates so I'll take that as a yes!!

Safe travels

Carol

An announcement was made at sailaway today about the earthquake..... had not been aware.... not impacted at all up here.....

Never mind! I found you :p:p:p:p

Have a wonderful trip Linda.

New Zealand on the Solstice has been my absolute favorite. You'll love it. :D

Erik, I thought of you today as I downed my 3rd or was it my 4th (decaf) coffee on board!! :D

Am currently in my lovely room on board with the gentle motion of the ocean reminding me just how luck I am to be here. Uploading the pics of today from here was quite tedious but I was able to go walkabout on board and grab a coffee and some GF nibbles at Cafe al Baccio whilst they uploaded.

I was the only one to tip the coach driver for manhandling cases. I know it's not expected. But still.

Check in was not 21st Century at all. Carryon luggage scanned, we were channelled initially at the door by Captain's Club status but the lines converged and we were all in a zig zag lane in a rather dimly light room to go through passport control. Then the medical questionnaire was taken off us then more lines to check in. The CC line had a queue. The regular line had no-one waiting so that's where I went. Was quite smooth and really didn't take long. Enjoyed the welcome glass of champagne and signed up for the 'non-alcohol premium drink package'. Sorted dining GF with the Maitre d', spoke with the groups co-ordinator about some Cruise Critic activities, visited with some CC friends..... toured the ship of course....

Here's today's Celebrity programme.

02-14 - Auckland, New Zealand (Welcome)1.pdf

Here we are from a webcam this morning

webcam.jpg

Baked eggs for breakfast

DSCN6014.jpg

The first sight of my home for the next 5 weeks

DSCN6015.jpg

The Maitre d' shows me the menu for tonight and I choose what I would like.... she said she would arrange a special dessert for me.

DSCN6016.jpg

There are people having lunch here..... not sure who this group were.

DSCN6017.jpg

I head up to the Oceanview Cafe and am delighted to see many GF signs

DSCN6018.jpg

Am currently in my lovely room on board with the gentle motion of the ocean reminding me just how luck I am to be here. Uploading the pics of today from here was quite tedious but I was able to go walkabout on board and grab a coffee and some GF nibbles at Cafe al Baccio whilst they uploaded.

I was the only one to tip the coach driver for manhandling cases. I know it's not expected. But still.

Check in was not 21st Century at all. Carryon luggage scanned, we were channelled initially at the door by Captain's Club status but the lines converged and we were all in a zig zag lane in a rather dimly light room to go through passport control. Then the medical questionnaire was taken off us then more lines to check in. The CC line had a queue. The regular line had no-one waiting so that's where I went. Was quite smooth and really didn't take long. Enjoyed the welcome glass of champagne and signed up for the 'non-alcohol premium drink package'. Sorted dining GF with the Maitre d', spoke with the groups co-ordinator about some Cruise Critic activities, visited with some CC friends..... toured the ship of course....

Here's today's Celebrity programme.

Enjoy the ship.

If you have entertainment by The Aussie Boys, Will Martin and/or Andy Joy I can highly recommend them all.

Enjoy Bay of Islands, so much to see and do, I'll be interested to hear what you have planned.

I'm prone to post pics that answer questions I've seen on the boards.

The safe in my room is large enough for my laptop to fit inside. It has a numeric keypad lock.

DSCN6025.jpg

DSCN6026.jpg

The TV has various ports though don't ask me what all these are..... I'm not sure this is a common setup.

DSCN6027.jpg

There is a DJ playing sounds in the foyer..... really quite good..... there's also been live music played here.

DSCN6029.jpg

Love the real grass on the lawn

DSCN6030.jpg

DSCN6031.jpg

DSCN6032.jpg

Taking down the bunting, please don't flame me but I don't know what the line of flags is called.

DSCN6033.jpg

The sockets in my room

DSCN6034.jpg

Mushroom soup at dinner..... they were not aware I had pre-ordered.

DSCN6035.jpg

Those who have followed my GF exploits over at Royal might recall my various conversations regarding the quality of bread. Don't get all excited. It's dire here too. I really couldn't eat this. They brought an alternative which just crumbled in my hand.

DSCN6036.jpg

All the ladies are given a red rose

DSCN6037.jpg

Sirloin steak..... not as rare as I'd have liked but was ok. Quite a simple dish really.

DSCN6038.jpg

I'm given a dessert menu with no GF symbols. I'm told the Creme Brulee is GF as is the Dulce de Latte neither of which I fancy. I'm given a Pannacotta (I ate the fruit off the top) and some sponge cake.

DSCN6039.jpg

DSCN6040.jpg

I spend some time in the Sky Lounge then venture outside. Having remembered to pack windy weather gear I didn't actually remember to wear it and it was quite chilly and windy out there.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Sailing away

DSCN6041.jpg

DSCN6042.jpg

DSCN6043.jpg

Ooooooh pillow chocolate!!

Sorry it's blurred..... chocolate has that effect on me

DSCN6044.jpg

Late night snack.... GF Macaroon and GF Coconut something or other

DSCN6045.jpg

And then there's this..... if it had clear pockets it would be perfect

DSCN6046.jpg

Thanks for all the pictures of the ship, dinner menu, food, etc. I'm comparing to Royal. I want to try Celebrity sometime.

Other than the disgusting GF bread everything is tweaked up a notch. And it makes a difference.

At Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill right now. Table service. No cooked element though.

Looks like they have three or four tenders running in Bay of Islands this morning. Many announcements regarding New Zealand bio security and bag inspection. Absolutely no consumables to be taken ashore. Bottled water allowed. Had room TV set to the bridge camera channel so not sure if those announcements were made elsewhere. Ah.... Just came on in public areas now lol.

Interesting you got celebrity pillow chocolates. We stayed in Aqua class on the Solstice in January and got what looked like halloween candy.

We had Cadbury Favourites every night on our bed or as part of our towel animal :D

Maybe with the change in Hotel Director (I think Mario has already departed) the chocolate selection has changed :rolleyes:

Other than the disgusting GF bread everything is tweaked up a notch. And it makes a difference.

At Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill right now. Table service. No cooked element though.

Looks like they have three or four tenders running in Bay of Islands this morning. Many announcements regarding New Zealand bio security and bag inspection. Absolutely no consumables to be taken ashore. Bottled water allowed. Had room TV set to the bridge camera channel so not sure if those announcements were made elsewhere. Ah.... Just came on in public areas now lol.

The dogs will board in other ports :D. We had the dogs on board overnight from one port to another in the South Island.

If you have had food of any sort in your bag in the past 24 hours the dog will detect it.

They are even more strict than in Australia :eek:

Here we are from a webcam this morning

webcam.jpg

Baked eggs for breakfast

DSCN6014.jpg

The first sight of my home for the next 5 weeks

DSCN6015.jpg

The Maitre d' shows me the menu for tonight and I choose what I would like.... she said she would arrange a special dessert for me.

DSCN6016.jpg

There are people having lunch here..... not sure who this group were.

DSCN6017.jpg

I head up to the Oceanview Cafe and am delighted to see many GF signs

DSCN6018.jpg

The people in the MDR were probalby Travel Agents on a familiarisation tour. You will find them coming onboard in Aussie ports as well.

Who is the Captain, Cruise Director & Captain's Club Host on this sailing?

Currently sitting in Cafe Al Bacio with a decaf cappuccino and some snacks..... had a super time ashore ..... tendered easily, walked to Waitangi Treaty Grounds, toured there a bit, walked back..... took the shuttle to Paihia, went to the market there, took the ferry over to Russell and walked around there for a while, took the ferry back, the shuttle back, the tender back. Pics uploading. Will get back to you later..... there's a sheet in my room.

The dogs will board in other ports :D. We had the dogs on board overnight from one port to another in the South Island.

If you have had food of any sort in your bag in the past 24 hours the dog will detect it.

They are even more strict than in Australia :eek:

I have a couple of pics of Watchman, the Beagle who has his own FB page..... Huw, if you're following, you'd have loved him!!!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Currently sitting in Cafe Al Bacio with a decaf cappuccino and some snacks..... had a super time ashore ..... tendered easily, walked to Waitangi Treaty Grounds, toured there a bit, walked back..... took the shuttle to Paihia, went to the market there, took the ferry over to Russell and walked around there for a while, took the ferry back, the shuttle back, the tender back. Pics uploading.

I have a couple of pics of Watchman, the Beagle who has his own FB page..... Huw, if you're following, you'd have loved him!!!

Watchman has appeared in a number of NZ Border Security TV programmes and has caught a lot of people smuggling fruit and other food into New Zealand