Assigned check in...you got to be kidding me

caymancouple

All passengers booked on a cruise from a terminal that have this type of check-in has received e-mails on the new process, and TA's have as well so they can make sure their clients know. Sorry but if you don't read your emails then that is not Carnivals fault.

Again, you don't board 3,000+ passengers onto a plane, and you don't see 3,000+ guests checking into hotels at the same time. Again moot point.

Sure I like to get on the ship as soon as I can as well, but if I can not board until 1:00, then that gives me time to look around the port city and see things I would not have the opportunity to see. All of you sound like a little kid when their mom tells them no to the toy or candy bar in the store.

There were multiple reports of emails that looked like junk mail with no clear information or directions, and multiple reports from guests who did not see an email. Also, no great push to inform guests of such a significant change. How many people read these threads and STILL think that check-in times won't be enforced because they weren't last year?

I don't need to board before everyone else. I just preferred to have non-priority guests go through security, get their S&S cards, and board the ship in the order in which they arrived at the terminal. I'm not sure why the people who prefer to stand in line whenever they arrive and wait patiently are labeled the ones too anxious to wait and compared to a kid denied candy. :confused:

Two examples:

(1) I cruised from NOLA on the Elation last year. We arrived at 11:30 a.m. We walked straight through security, got our S&S card, and boarded. Quick and easy. No one grumbling. Why mess with that?

(2) When we cruised from Galveston, we got bad information on cruise critic about drive times and arrived more than an hour earlier than we expected. We walked straight through security, got our S&S card, and happily waited for boarding to start. Why force us to stand outside (or circle the port) for an hour?

There are certainly more than 3,000 people arriving at various theme parks; yet, I don't know of any that have guests pick arrival times based on how early they bought their tickets and force them to stand around outside the gates until their particular time, thereby getting fewer hours in the park. That just slows down the ticket-taking process and makes people mad. :confused:

I worry that the lack of customer-service awareness and the "you'll follow the rules or don't sail Carnival" attitude is indicative of greater trend within Carnival's business model.

We are doing a cruise on Carnival out of Galveston this Coming Sunday....6 rooms...we all have different check in times.... so how are we supposed to coordinate picking up family members from hotels...flights....others driving in..... We are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond Plus on Royal...earned both....not real impressed with Carnival so far....:mad:

We too are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCL. Of course when you are at these levels you have priority embarkation and disembarkation. Once you reach the higher level on Carnival you will have the same as they do the same as other lines. Your e-ticket will read PRIORITY.

I wish all the lines would do the same. Staggering the arrivals is very smart. I have seen the terminal absolutely packed in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Then you have everyone complaining about the wait.

Edited by SUSIEK

Not just carnival... Had a MESS boarding RCCL last month and NCL last year! Besides, at Miami, nobody respects the boarding times and the port personnel lets everyone in anyway (you just get a later boarding group)... I was just visiting the Splendor last week for the day, and it was a mess with standing room only (embarkation was delayed until 12:35 )... I would not sweat it too much..

You do know the staggered check in times aren't in effect in Miami yet, right?

In effect don't know... enforced? No!

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

That's the confusion. All the major cruise lines have had recommended check-in times that were not enforced. Now, Carnival is changing one port at a time to a new system, where guests can pick a check-in window and cannot arrive before their window. All reports say that Carnival is enforcing that, making guests who arrive early wait outside the terminal building. When people say not to worry because the times are not being enforced, that's based on info from before a port changed to the new system and is misleading.

The enforced staggered check in for Carnival starts in Miami on March 5th I believe. Just an fyi in case you are sailing from there at a later date that you will need to check in online before your cruise to pick a time to arrive.

On Sunday (Feb 17) in Miami for embarcation on the Splendor it was not being enforced. . That's all I'm saying. Can't verify for other ports as I was not there.

One thing this will hopefully solve in Galveston (I board next Thursday, snagged a 10:30am arrival time - that was still available last week) is the "storm the Bastille" mentality when boarding actually begins. I am on a scooter and have had to maneuver through hoards of folks with late zone assignments who get up and rush the line as soon as they announce wedding parties boarding - less of those folks waiting will make things run more smoothly.

I saw the check in thing but we're Platinum so I will wing it...

Carnival still wants everyone.. Diamond/Platinum/Suite Passengers and FTTF passengers to choose a check in time... Yes, you will be allowed to enter the terminal anytime you want, but please choose a check in time....

We are doing a cruise on Carnival out of Galveston this Coming Sunday....6 rooms...we all have different check in times.... so how are we supposed to coordinate picking up family members from hotels...flights....others driving in..... We are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond Plus on Royal...earned both....not real impressed with Carnival so far....:mad:

What you are on Celebrity or Royal doesn't matter in the slightest on Carnival (nor should it, completely separate companies). I would pick the last check in time and everyone go together then. would have been easier if everyone had picked the same check in time.

Might want to reconsider, sounds like they are sticking to the rules and if you show up before your check in time they will now turn you away. But if you want to live the rebel life, so be it ;)

I have ignored these procedures like most other nonsensical procedures on events with hordes of humans. It has worked out so far.

Might want to reconsider, sounds like they are sticking to the rules and if you show up before your check in time they will now turn you away. But if you want to live the rebel life, so be it ;)

Hasn't been a issue, much like the disembarking process. Next cruise go down whenever you feel like it and see if they let you off the ship.

Hasn't been a issue, much like the disembarking process. Next cruise go down whenever you feel like it and see if they let you off the ship.

Funny... last cruise I saw about 300+ (or was it 500+) lined up in the hallway on Empress as the nice people with the Plat guests (and FTTF - there were no Diamonds onboard) checked each person's SS card and allowed us to board a elevator to the BOTTOM of the ship and off without going thru the winding gangway from Empress down to ground floor. This was PAST all the people who "wandered" down whenever they felt like it to get off. There was about 80 of us and about 40 handicap and we were told that no one would be allowed off til all came thru the elevators. Plat/handicap first, then FTTF... best disembark by Carnival at Charleston I've been in. They were calling numbers and from the way it went with us I bet you best have the number that was called or you would be turned back.

I saw the check in thing but we're Platinum so I will wing it...

You must select a boarding time even if you are platinum or diamond. We've cruised twice since the new system went in effect in Galveston and both times we're required to pick one. The most recent cruise was on Feb 7 aboard the Magic.

According to Guest Services and the Customer Service people from Carnival they are working on not requiring us to select a time.

What we've encountered both times so far this year is a crowd of people arriving early and a line stretching 1/3 to 1/2 way down the outside of the terminal. That was the same experience from Terminal 1 an Terminal 2 in Galveston.

I understand those with flights and rides to the port arrive when they can, but someone that purchased FTTF might not fully understand there is no need to wait in the line on the right side. Priority boarding had a line cue with zero people. Once we got past the biggest crowd it was smooth sailing to the check in desk.

The second biggest challenge, again for those not familiar is people stand in the passage way area at the boarding cue. I'll bet I said "excuse me" to a dozen or so as we worked our way up for boarding.

Just an observation with an N of two cruises so far under the new system. In the past Carnival sent out an email or text asking people to stagger arrival at the port. That was only a suggestion, and if you arrived between 11am and 1pm it was a crowed mess. Arrival after 2pm meant walk on for everyone. We were late one cruise last summer on the Magic and arrived at 2:30pm to an empty terminal.

I'm no expert, these are just my observations so far.

Edited by BallFour4

At the risk of being (insinuated) called names again (dont ask, happened earlier in the thread ) my point is, if you are priority and did not choose a boarding time, would you be denied priority boarding? If not, what is the need for priority to choose?