passport vs birth certificate

Crus4US

As long as you are starting and leaving from the same U.S. port and your kids were born in the U.S., a birth certificate is perfectly fine. Some people may post all the reasons why THEY like to have passports, but that doesn't mean you need one. Many children and adults cruise with birth certificates, and children under age 16 don't need photo ID. No worries. :)

As long as you are starting and leaving from the same U.S. port and your kids were born in the U.S., a birth certificate is perfectly fine. Some people may post all the reasons why THEY like to have passports, but that doesn't mean you need one. Many children and adults cruise with birth certificates, and children under age 16 don't need photo ID. No worries. :)

This exactly. I cruised last month with my 10 & 6 year old. I booked too last minute to have a chance at getting them passports. I used their birth certificates no problem. No photo ID needed. We checked in & got through customs easily.

I have a passport now used for my last 2 cruises. The 4 prior to that I used my birth certificate & driver's license with no problems.

"No worries?" Please remember that pretty much every premium and luxury cruise requires that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries produce a passport at embarkation.

"No worries?" Please remember that pretty much every premium and luxury cruise requires that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries produce a passport at embarkation.

But the OP is posting on the Carnival board. And from their signature, will be embarking on a Carnival ship on an itinerary that I assume is closed loop. So "no worries" would be accurate in this case. It is a valid way to cruise. The OP wasn't asking if it's the best way. Just if it's possible.

Edited by Drose716

Currently passport processing times are 6 weeks for routine and 3 weeks for expedited. Renewals take a little less by maybe a week or 2. depending on when you sent them in for renewal and I see in your signature you have a cruise in March on the Glory? When in March? When did you mail in the renewals? If your cruise is later in March then you might get them just before you leave. But if not then like others have said you will be fine with birth certificates and it even says on carnivals site kids 16 years and younger only need a birth certificate. But it also wouldn't hurt to at your kids ages to just go down to the local DMV and get state issued I.D.'s. I government issued picture ID can make things much smoother if ever questioned about your kids.

Just an FYI

The Department of Homeland Security has announced the beginning of enforcement regarding the Real ID Act and all air travel in 2016. What exactly does this mean, you ask. Essentially, all travelers carrying a driver’s license from one of 9 states currently refusing to comply with the 2005 Real ID Act will be forced to produce a second form of identification for all air travel. Now I bet you’re probably wondering if you live in one of those 9 U.S. states.

The nine states effected by this Department of Homeland Security mandate are Alaska, California, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina, Washington state, as well as the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. So if you currently carry a driver’s license/photo ID from one of those nine states or three island nations, you better start traveling with a passport, regardless of where you’re heading. The reason so many of these states have refused to comply with the Real ID Act mainly has to do with privacy. However, with 2016 now upon us, it would appear the states may no longer have the luxury of just saying NO.

Having said all of this, you still don’t have to bust out your passport quite yet. Although a deadline currently looms just a week away, the Department of Homeland Security continues to be vague on how the law will actually be implemented. First off, the public will have at least 120 days notice before the change truly goes into effect. Second, it remains to be seen how strictly the secondary ID rule for those states will be enforced. Either way, keep your eyes and ears open on this story as further details continue to come out.

Just an FYI

The Department of Homeland Security has announced the beginning of enforcement regarding the Real ID Act and all air travel in 2016. What exactly does this mean, you ask. Essentially, all travelers carrying a driver’s license from one of 9 states currently refusing to comply with the 2005 Real ID Act will be forced to produce a second form of identification for all air travel. Now I bet you’re probably wondering if you live in one of those 9 U.S. states.

The nine states effected by this Department of Homeland Security mandate are Alaska, California, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina, Washington state, as well as the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. So if you currently carry a driver’s license/photo ID from one of those nine states or three island nations, you better start traveling with a passport, regardless of where you’re heading. The reason so many of these states have refused to comply with the Real ID Act mainly has to do with privacy. However, with 2016 now upon us, it would appear the states may no longer have the luxury of just saying NO.

Having said all of this, you still don’t have to bust out your passport quite yet. Although a deadline currently looms just a week away, the Department of Homeland Security continues to be vague on how the law will actually be implemented. First off, the public will have at least 120 days notice before the change truly goes into effect. Second, it remains to be seen how strictly the secondary ID rule for those states will be enforced. Either way, keep your eyes and ears open on this story as further details continue to come out.

In this day in age, the day is coming that everyone will need a passport to travel outside of the US, including closed loop cruises.

I'm happy the OP mentions they have passports. I think everyone needs to get them soon to beat the rush later

Edited by LuckyZ

Real ID Act is not being implemented until 2018

Effective January 22, 2018, air travelers with a driver’s license or identification card issued by a state that does not meet the requirements of the REAL ID Act (unless that state has been granted an extension to comply with the Act) must present an alternative form of identification acceptable to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in order to board a commercial domestic flight.

Full Link:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/01/08/statement-secretary-jeh-c-johnson-final-phase-real-id-act-implementation

Edited by fuddrules

Just an FYI

Phase 4 of this act has been extended to 2018.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

In this day in age, the day is coming that everyone will need a passport to travel outside of the US, including closed loop cruises.

I'm happy the OP mentions they have passports. I think everyone needs to get them soon to beat the rush later

People have been saying that for fifteen years. I have a passport, but I don't think anyone needs to rush out and get one. If it is required someday for closed loop cruises, you will have plenty of warning, but so far it seems that cruiseline lobbyists have succeeded in warding off passport requirements.

I highly doubt that the closed loop regulations are going to change- when they were enacted DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presented a very low risk to the national security, which is the point behind the passport requirements in the first place. Given the amount of time it took to implement the changes the last time I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a passport on a "what if".

I am renewing my children's passports, but if they don't arrive in time will a birth certificate copy suffice? I am kicking myself for waiting so long.

Thx. They are ages 14 and 12.

CCL will accept a photocopy of a birth certificate provided that it is legible.