Security issue with disabled passenger

mercuryfan

Anyone run into this issue? We were on Independence of the Seas and as we were returning to the ship in Jamaica, my wife who has had strokes that affect her balance and speech, thus need for a scooter, got checked by security that was over the top, they questioned why she was unstable both my father in law and I both said because of strokes, they continued searching her, even questioning what was those two boxes were under her scooter(they were the two batteries) wiped her scooter twice and searched her twice, very disrespectful treatment, went to guest relations to complain, on the day it happened, no follow up from them, called Royal Caribbean today to complain about her treatment. I am all for reasonable searches, but this went to far, far more involved than the security check at the airport or as we boarded the ship on Monday.

I received a much more thorough than normal physical pat down a few years ago at a Florida airport. We are both on the Fast Track program. A few days later we learned that there had been a credible threat for that area. If anyone wants t grope me like that again for a decent reason I am fine with it...but I want t pick my groper. ;) Many cruise lines skipped Jamaica for a few years due to crime and your wife's scooter may have picked up something that set off the chemical scanners. I think motor oil from streets can do it at times. Report it if you think it was unprofessionally done as they are only screeners who would then call in the actual police or border patrol people to arrest. But most often I tend to think the ship security people are as thorough as necessary without holding up the line of returnees to the ship.

Recently, on a flight from Somalia, a man in a wheelchair blew himself up. Maybe this caused a more thorough check by TSA?

I am using a cane and wear medical shoes, they always take me aside for a pat, even if I get pre-check from the airline. I am used to it by now, just a few minutes, not a big deal.

I remember in Jamaica, it was Montego Bay, we had to go through security twice, this was unusual. No excessive search, just double security. Don't remember which cruise line.

Regardless of the cruise line, when returning from a Jamaican Port my mobility scooter is always thoroughly checked by the ship's security as well my cane. I also receive a full pat-down by security. Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean that they should be exempt from a thorough Security check and that they're less likely to bring contraband on board the ship. Security was just doing their job despite the fact that the OP did not like how it was all handle.

As a long time disabled person, going on 60 years now, I've had all kinds of security screening. I've learned that you can trust no one as to whether they're law breakers or not, drug runners or terrorists or whatever. If you want to have an even more intrusive screening than the OP's family, try flying out of any Middle Eastern airport. That screening could give you nightmares. My screening at the Dubai airport was something I've never experienced before. And knowing Jamaica's reputation for drug problems, it doesn't surprise me about the search.

Regardless of the cruise line, when returning from a Jamaican Port my mobility scooter is always thoroughly checked by the ship's security as well my cane. I also receive a full pat-down by security. Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean that they should be exempt from a thorough Security check and that they're less likely to bring contraband on board the ship. Security was just doing their job despite the fact that the OP did not like how it was all handle.

Anyone who is disabled is used to being groped by security, however, this man says that these people went above and beyond what is normally done. I don't know if you're disabled or not, but sometimes these people go way beyond what is expected. Somehow I don't think you'd appreciate someone feeling your crotch! It's easy to say it's for security until it's you being groped.

Anyone who is disabled is used to being groped by security, however, this man says that these people went above and beyond what is normally done. I don't know if you're disabled or not, but sometimes these people go way beyond what is expected. Somehow I don't think you'd appreciate someone feeling your crotch! It's easy to say it's for security until it's you being groped.

XXOO is a very trusted contributor to this forum, and is indeed disabled, for many years. Be careful when you question the dedicated people on this forum unless you know the valuable contributions they have made to the disabled traveling public.

I HAVE indeed been touched (I would never say groped) in private areas while going through various security screenings, while sitting on my scooter. As I said, a lot depends on where you're located when this type of screening happens. In areas where drug trafficking is rampant or where terrorist activity is high, you can expect this type of screening, and Jamaica is a huge country for drug smuggling-----and no one is saying the OP's family member was going to smuggle, but in this day and age, you never know. And as another poster said, a wheelchair bound man was allegedly responsible for a bomb on a flight last week. Geeze, and I thought those of us who are disabled are as honest as the day is long------guess not.

Hi,

I don't have any problem about security issues, I am disabled and use a mobility scooter, if security want to thoroughly check me or my scooter then that is OK with me.

Where the security people have fallen down in the incident that has been described by the OP is the intrusive questions they have made of his wife.

Pete

XXOO is a very trusted contributor to this forum, and is indeed disabled, for many years. Be careful when you question the dedicated people on this forum unless you know the valuable contributions they have made to the disabled traveling public.

I HAVE indeed been touched (I would never say groped) in private areas while going through various security screenings, while sitting on my scooter. As I said, a lot depends on where you're located when this type of screening happens. In areas where drug trafficking is rampant or where terrorist activity is high, you can expect this type of screening, and Jamaica is a huge country for drug smuggling-----and no one is saying the OP's family member was going to smuggle, but in this day and age, you never know. And as another poster said, a wheelchair bound man was allegedly responsible for a bomb on a flight last week. Geeze, and I thought those of us who are disabled are as honest as the day is long------guess not.

Maybe all disabled people are as honest as the day is long. Who knows? ;)

But that doesn't mean everyone in a wheelchair is honest. If someone plans to blow up a ship or smuggle a vast quantity of drugs, he isn't going to let a little thing like pretending to need a wheelchair stop him.

I am all for security checks, however the amount of disrespect this Royal Caribbean security member gave to my wife was offensive (Jamaica security just did a once over on my wife no touching, looked over her scooter and said have a nice day maam, and then proceeded to the ship).

My wife had to get off her scooter and walk up the gangplank, with a member of security helping her to the ship. this was because the scooter had to be manually moved onto the gangplank for the wheels to catch, my wife is unstable(LOL)anyway,,:) she staggered up the gangplank which probably caught the attention of the security person, it was stated not once, not twice but six times that the reason for her unstable walking was due to a STROKE, a reasonable search would of then of proceeded, but the woman was rude, plain and simple, far beyond a security check, maybe this crewmember was new, my complaint is not over getting a refund or credit of some sort. it is to have security staff be properly trained, maybe procedures for screening disabled passengers need to be reviewed, further training etc,

As I posted earlier this security was far more than what we received at the airport or getting on the ship as we boarded on the first day, As for getting back on the ship from Jamaica other disabled passengers with scooters passed us with far less attention than did my wife..

Thought the statement "my mobility scooter is always thoroughly checked by the ship's security as well my cane. I also receive a full pat-down by security" in my previous post would have tipped you off to that the fact that yes I am disabled.

Regarding the OP statement about security having gone beyond the normal actually means nothing to me nor should it you as everyone's idea of 'normal" is different. Additionally there are many unknowns that most likely occurred which prompted Security to do a more thorough search. That statement is not intended to imply that there was anything suspicious about the OP's wife that prompted the more thorough search but rather it's directed at the unknown "Port Threat Risk" for that date which drives many of the decisions made by the Ships Security. Reasons that Security do not have to explain to anyone nor perhaps Guest Relations would not even be privy too.

Prior to my disability I traveled internationally 28 weeks out of the year for work. To countries in over 5 continents. Can tell you with 100% certainty that I have gone through far more detailed Security Searches at that time than since becoming disabled. Personally had no problem with the through searches when abled- bodied and still don't have an issue with it now since disabled.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you Darcie and right back at you for all your contributions to the disabled community on this forum.

Maybe all disabled people are as honest as the day is long. Who knows? ;)

But that doesn't mean everyone in a wheelchair is honest. If someone plans to blow up a ship or smuggle a vast quantity of drugs, he isn't going to let a little thing like pretending to need a wheelchair stop him.

And that is exactly what I meant when telling of the man who was in a wheelchair and had the bomb on the African flight. They'll use kids, old women and disabled persons to do whatever they want. No one, regardless of looks, age or disability can cause harm.

I gotta say, I'm sometimes flabergasted at exactly the opposite issue - security checking when I'm in the wheelchair is sometimes so poor I've had to tell them where to look just so I can hope that they'll be a bit more attentive with the next wheelchair jockey in the line.

Examples .......

I have a bag swinging away under the chair for gloves, hand wash, etc. but it also holds a set of allen keys for maintenance which could just as easily be a knife or a gun. Frequency of being asked to take it off for the scanner - about one in three.

When's the last time anyone checked the cushion in your chair? I've never had mine checked for contraband, even when I've offered to stand and let them get access to the chair.

I sympathise with the OP but on balance I'd prefer a bit of hassle just to be a bit safer. In contrast, I always feel like a major league criminal when entering the US because the security is just so crazy compared with any other country I've visited.

As people with disabilities I imagine we are much like the able bodied population in being the full spectrum of behaviors and attitudes. If you notice some of the things the AB folks go through for inspection you will not feel singled out or so offended. In the OPs case, I understand that you feel protective of your wife but try to understand that the security staff dies not know her and has guidelines to follow. The more cooperative you are the better it goes, especially if they are over zealous!

As people with disabilities I imagine we are much like the able bodied population in being the full spectrum of behaviors and attitudes. If you notice some of the things the AB folks go through for inspection you will not feel singled out or so offended. In the OPs case, I understand that you feel protective of your wife but try to understand that the security staff dies not know her and has guidelines to follow. The more cooperative you are the better it goes, especially if they are over zealous!

what occured on coming back onto the ship was not professional, plain and simple. This security guard went over the top was rude, unprofessional period!!, as I stated before I am all for security but when security crosses the line then they need to be held accountable, this is what happened in this case.

Security can be thorough, without being rude, and unprofessional. Only the OP knows if that was the case, if it was he is entitled to express his concerns or what ever feelings it is he has.

I will say the frustration I have is the inconsistency with the cruise line and how they handle these searches. Example, On our cruise a few weeks ago my son who requires a power wheelchair was stopped while trying to get back on ship after being in port. We were pulled out of line and asked to wait for someone to come search and swap his chair. We waited about 5 mins for someone to come, they searched it and wiped it, went in to check the wipe and never came back to tell us we could board. Finally after about 15 mins we asked if we could board. frustrating.

While we waited My DH asked if they did this with all the scooters as well, and was told yes. Well once on board we went up to our balcony and watched as scooter after scooter was allowed back on board without being checked. Like I said search away, just have a set consistent policy.

I just returned from two RCCL Caribbean cruises. I was surprised that before being allowed to reboard the ship in every port, I was required to wait while a security officer was called with his swabs to swab my hands and scooter. And then continue to wait until he had reentered the ship to run his test on the swabs. He then signaled a crew member to assist my drive up the ramp. They want to make sure you don't get too close to other passengers and to assist if the scooter gets hung-up on the ramp.

Once on the ship, every thing I was carrying went through the scanner and I waited for the obligatory pat down. I find this standard on all ships. I finally got smart and used a tote bag to line my scooter basket for ease of sending everything though the scanner.

The new factor was the swabbing of the scooter before being allowed to board. Perhaps this policy was just instituted due to the recent "wheelchair bomber" on the air flight. Perhaps it is due to warnings that ISIS may target cruise ships. It will be interesting to see if other cruise lines follow suit in instituting this policy.

I don't know if all scooters were stopped and tested or not. I do know manual wheelchairs were not tested.

It was a slight inconvenience, but nothing to ruffle my feathers. Just something "extra" that I wasn't expecting. Better to be SAFE than SORRY!

Edited by rascalrider

I was on rc adventure earlier this month....my scooter was swabbed each time I returned but not my hands....took flight to sju and sju to stt and both times my knee set off something....my knee surgery isn't til next month so they were perplexed as to why it would set off...home from stt tomorrow and assuming my knee will require more screening!

Regarding the OP statement about security having gone beyond the normal actually means nothing to me nor should it you as everyone's idea of 'normal" is different.

OOMG MY MOTHER - that is her. SHe has a fake hip and sets off the scanners every single time and of course they pull her aside for a pat down and the entire time she is saying "its a fake hip its a fake hip."

And then after the pat down she is telling anyone and everyone that will listen how security *groped* her

argh

normal is so subjective. I have watched her getting patted down and it is no worse then what has been done to me when travelling with my wheelchair.

Normal for me is sexual harassment to her.