Upcoming RC Refurb on Rhapsody

Apparently Rhapsody will be getting some enhancements this year. All it says is "coming in December". Anybody have some ideas about what might be happening? Will they change any cruisings because of it? Does "coming in December" mean completed in December or starting in December? With Rhapsody getting a huge dry dock/retrofit in 2012, this is very exciting news! Thanks for your ideas!

827232216_RCCLupcomingenhancements.jpg.7b5e7e9cac09b897c64878a1a7cf5925.jpg

Apparently Rhapsody will be getting some enhancements this year. All it says is "coming in December". Anybody have some ideas about what might be happening? Will they change any cruisings because of it? Does "coming in December" mean completed in December or starting in December? With Rhapsody getting a huge dry dock/retrofit in 2012, this is very exciting news! Thanks for your ideas!

Royal has not publically revealed any plans for Rhapsody's dry dock.

Last October, while on the westbound Allure TA, we booked the westbound Rhapsody TA out of Malaga on Nov 19 2016 and noticed a Rhapsody schedule gap just prior to the TA. I asked the C&A Loyalty Ambassador on Allure to check with RCI's Home Office to find out the reason for the gap.

Her reply from corporate was 'dry docking for Rhapsody has been approved for Oct/Nov 2016 prior to the westbound TA'. The dry docking will be done in Cadiz, Spain ending on Nov 17th and then sailing empty on the 18th to Malaga to pick up passengers for the westbound TA on Nov 19th. No information was provided concerning 'the enhancements'.

Last October, while on the westbound Allure TA, we booked the westbound Rhapsody TA out of Malaga on Nov 19 2016 and noticed a Rhapsody schedule gap just prior to the TA. I asked the C&A Loyalty Ambassador on Allure to check with RCI's Home Office to find out the reason for the gap.

Her reply from corporate was 'dry docking for Rhapsody has been approved for Oct/Nov 2016 prior to the westbound TA'. The dry docking will be done in Cadiz, Spain ending on Nov 17th and then sailing empty on the 18th to Malaga to pick up passengers for the westbound TA on Nov 19th. No information was provided concerning 'the enhancements'.

It could very well be the required 5-year dry dock with no other major changes planned.

I was wondering about that gap too. I am on that TA too. Hope its just a freshen up. RCCL "enhancements" usually mean that passenger areas are being converted into extra cabins or fee charging restaurants. No "enhancement" in my book.

I was on the TA three years ago when her sister ship Grandeur of the Seas dry docked in Cadiz then sailed from Barcelona.. They botched up the new sewage (black water) system which resulted in an appalling stench in the lower decks forward all the way across. Luckily I was on an upper deck aft but gee whiz it was bad. We dubbed her "Odor of the Seas" Same yard. Same class of ship. Hope they've learned.

• 4 weeks later...

Have a Dec 3, 2016 cruise on Rhapsody leaving from Tampa. Was told the dry dock was to take place in Nov 2016. Now it sounds like Dec 2016. So my concern is either RCL cancels the cruise (which they do) or worry that nothing will be done to make the cruise memorable, since it's going into dry dock. Am I over thinking or do I have a moderate concern. People have to plan their vacation (work, family etc).

Have a Dec 3, 2016 cruise on Rhapsody leaving from Tampa. Was told the dry dock was to take place in Nov 2016. Now it sounds like Dec 2016. So my concern is either RCL cancels the cruise (which they do) or worry that nothing will be done to make the cruise memorable, since it's going into dry dock. Am I over thinking or do I have a moderate concern. People have to plan their vacation (work, family etc).

I don't think you are over thinking it, with what has been happening lately. If it was me, I'd try to book an alternative cruise, just in case.

Now y'all have got me scared. My fiance and I are supposed to be taking the TA November 19th for our honeymoon. We have had this scheduled since November of last year and are both really looking forward to it. Is there anyway to find out the odds of them cancelling the November Cruise?

Now y'all have got me scared. My fiance and I are supposed to be taking the TA November 19th for our honeymoon. We have had this scheduled since November of last year and are both really looking forward to it. Is there anyway to find out the odds of them cancelling the November Cruise?

Substituting for Carol:

CrystalBall.jpg

The reason you were able to book that TA is because they cancelled our October 2016 TA, possibly because of the drydock. They also cancelled our April 2017 TA on Rhapsody. No reason given yet.

Lucky for us, we got lots of notice. That isn't always the case. See Empress. Anyway, you're PROBABLY fine. I on the other hand will not likely try and book another TA on her. :rolleyes:

Edited by John&LaLa

I am on the Nov 19 TA as well, flight booked in first class cabin not through Choice Air, non refundable. If Royal cancels this one at anytime $200 "we are sorry" credit wont cut it.

Now you got me worried!

I am on the Nov 19 TA as well, flight booked in first class cabin not through Choice Air, non refundable. If Royal cancels this one at anytime $200 "we are sorry" credit wont cut it.

Now you got me worried!

Well, if it ever says Sold Out, you're in trouble. ;)

As of when they posted the updated Trans Atlantic (The one you are booked on), drydock was scheduled in Freeport right after your Trans Atlantic. (That is why you are cruising to Miami instead of to Tampa). It will drydock before the Tampa season.

The original TA Was changed when they announced the ship would be going to Tampa instead of Port Canaveral (And then they backed up the dates and added the drydock)

Edited by Firefighterhoop
Corrected Info

As of now, drydock is scheduled in Freeport right after your Trans Atlantic. (That is why you are cruising to Miami instead of to Tampa). It will drydock before the Tampa season.

The original TA Was changed when they announced the ship would be going to Tampa instead of Port Canaveral (And then they backed up the dates and added the drydock)

Oh okay, I miss-read the thread. Thanks that's a relief

Oh okay, I miss-read the thread. Thanks that's a relief

After looking at what another poster had said about it drydocking in Cadiz before the TA, it does look like that is what it is doing now. They have added 2 cruises (weeks) Out of Tampa from when the schedule was first released, and the ship is sailing empty from Miami to Tampa after the TA...

I was booked on what WAS the first Tampa cruise, the week before Christmas and now it is the 3rd Tampa Cruise.

I would still be extremely surprised if they would cancel that TA because the ship does need to be back in FL for Tampa cruises the weekend it gets back. However, keep in mind you will be on a ship the first cruise out of drydock..... so things may be still under construction the first few days of the trip (Depending on how major the cosmetic part of the drydock is)

Edited by Firefighterhoop

This is the correct drydock info. The Freeport drydock was changed to Cadiz prior to the crossing.

I agree with Marion Mom. Vision Class are small ships. No way they are getting a flow rider (just engineering where to put them would be cost prohibitive). And I would be highly surprised to see a Bionic Bar.

The drydock is only 2 weeks long, so other than maybe a few small surprises I'm assuming it will be a lot on the "marine" side not so much the hotel side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same concern so I emailed RC. The ship comes out of dry dock the end of November before the transatlantic.

• 5 months later...