All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

First, I just have to say that I admire the fact that you can always pose in front of your stove! I really couldn't. My stove is such a mess...I am not a very clean cook to begin with so the stove itself...ugh...and I always seem to have pots and pans that are waiting to be cleaned. I have complained more than once about how the kitchen fairies lost my address (It happens when you move a lot)...and sadly, the kitchen is just rarely clean :')

And I think you have posed nice Laurie! Why apologize?

The red dress looks really good! The color may be slightly cool...but I think you pull it off well, even if it is. I'm not sure if that neckline is one that is as suited to the necklaces you are so fond of wearing...it seems like more of an earring or bracelet kind of dress to me..OR, you'd have to find that perfect necklace that would just lay right there on the top part of the dress...one with a statement front and maybe a chain across the back?

I don't love the ivory color on you as much as the red...but they still look nice. I agree with your daughters and think that you just need proper undergarments for the second dress; I don't think it's too small. I've been staring at the necklines, and I honestly can't decide if I like the first ivory dress neckline. It's so much wider than the red dress neckline...and I can't decide if that's a nice balance to have it be wider or not. Do you like the built in necklace of the other dress? Can you can it out? I've seen dresses like that with a flat gold type, kind of Egyptian inspired built in necklace... That could be fun to be able to change that out... I like the band around the ribs on the second dress too... Whatever you like, I think the overall fit of both is very flattering.

Yes, I love that outfit. The tank top, the skirt...even the scarf, I am usually attracted to scarves...sometimes, I think they are really annoying...and they seem a bit silly when I'm just at home doing things around the house...but I do like the look. Besides the price of the skirt, though, I think it might be something of a bear to care for. I love the IDEA of it though. I bought so much fabric about a year ago or so when Hancock Fabrics was closing it's stores. So sad... I bought so much, I literally need to revisit it to see what I have again. I've been thinking that I should just have some fun with it...get inspired by things and give different things a try...and not get too worried about how perfect the project comes out. I'll have to see if I have anything that I could use to make my own version of that skirt.

I think you look Mah-va-lous, Laurie, so I'll preface my comment by saying it first because I'm afraid I'm going to be Debbie Downer. I can confidently speak only about the last dress because I have trouble with a high band myself. When the girls are DoubleDang sized, the dress bust area can be extra full. It makes the dress band rise just a tiny bit north of the bra band and I become self-conscious that others think my dress is too small. When you mentioned that you thought is was too small, I studied it and realized this might be why your mind went there. Any time that I've talked myself into keeping a dress or top that I loved other than that one small flaw, it proved fatal. I might wear it once or twice, but ultimately felt I didn't get my money's worth because I hate feeling self-conscious and hate even more tugging on my clothing the entire time I'm wearing it. Your mileage may vary, of course, and you agree with everyone else, but i wanted to play devil's advocate today, I guess. I mean only to help give another point of view. Like I said to begin with--I think you look Mah-va-lous. In all three dresses.

So. What do ya'll think of Sarouel Skirts? Seems like a wind proof skirt to me... I was thinking about sewing one, not buying one.

With your nice waist definition, it would look great on you, Anita. I like the idea of them and the look is extremely comfy and certainly wind-proof but a skirt I can admire from afar on another. Any bottom with a gathered full skirt just makes me feel my waist is wider than my hips and cutting me off between the knee and ankle makes my legs look stumpy. Not a good look for Debbie. At. All.

I've always liked wrap-around skirts and what we called gauchos in the 60-70s--no gathers at the waistband--a full A-line split-skirt ending just below the knee and worn with knee-boots. Maybe that's why I like skorts so much now. It's a shorter version, but still has that clean look. Yep, I'm a Yang Classic with a Natural overlay.

I hadn't thought about using Goodwill as a textile store. Good call, Anita! For almost no cash, you can craft something to suit your taste. I'd really like to see any project you complete.

Please tell Pam hello for me. I miss her voice on our threads. I miss Linda too and wonder how they both are doing.

How's your knee feeling these days? You mentioned fitness, so did it heal well?

Debbie! I just figured out why I love my skorts! Thanks so much. I loved my gauchos (& have noticed some in the catalogs recently [emoji6]). I own 4 skirts, all are wraparound [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So...seeing as how it's been 3 years since you saw me...waist definition?:'):'):')

I have finally figured out my first sewing project! And what is so funny is how similar it seems to what you described! Anyway...this is the inspiration:

il_340x270.982483386_5zd6.jpg

I have a lovely aqua colored cotton gauze. These are basically wide legged pants with a curve on the bottom that is more reminiscent of a skirt and the fun over swinging over layer in the front that IS very skirt like...so, kind of swings and acts like a skirt but without any potential chaffing;p So...kinda like a skort...but not really trying to hide the pants part. The only thing that I am debating is whether or not the gauze is the best fabric for this...wondering if a knit would be better...

I have a base pattern that I think will work for the pants part...and I think I can make my own over layer...and I'll have to design the waist band or see if the waist from a different pattern will work. I do like the scoop waist band a lot. The back of the one pictured has a wide elastic band across the back. Pockets will be key...and I'm definitely on board with those.

I like wrap around skirts too...My problem with most RTW ones are the thin waist band...then it poofs out over the tummy in an unattractive way...I do prefer a wide waist band and/or a yoke on a skirt, similar to the wide band on typical yoga pants.

Funny about the necklines on all the dresses - none really lend themselves to necklaces, except the first one. And as you've said, Anita, it would have to be a certain kind of necklace. For me, the hunt is part of the fun. But I really like the idea of strong earrings and a bracelet.

I misstated the pricing of these earlier. The garnet dress was $28.00. Each of the lace dresses was $48.00.

I like the garnet one, and I'm pretty sure I will keep it. It's quite comfortable, and there is a certain styling near the waist that this has that suits me well. It's hard to explain, but the dress is shaped in a way to give a little bit of an hourglass shape. As you can see, I don't have that kind of figure. But this dress does accentuate my waist more than most dresses do, and it makes me feel good. My purple ruched dress does that too. It doesn't fuss at the waist or anything, so you eye continues from the top of the dress to the bottom, but that waist seam is still there to provide definition.

The second lace dress has more fabric going across the shoulder area overall, so I don't think it flatters as much. The fit is comfortable though.

The last dress has a great neckline, and I really like the styling. I don't love the fit, and wonder if I got a bigger size, that band would land down farther. Of course the rest of the dress would fit differently, so I'd have to decide if I want a bunch of adjustments. If the underarm seam drops, forget even the alterations.

And those light colors reflect so much light, I feel like every flaw stands out.

If I could get that last dress in a wonderful earthy color - olive, rust, adobe, caramel, gold....I'd pay whatever I needed to pay to alter the dress so it's just right. I really do love it, but the ivory color, not so much.

I'll have to think about the last two and make some sort of decision. I think the reason I love the long ivory Ralph Lauren lace dress I have is that it is a deeper color, in that it almost looks like it was tea stained. It makes a big difference.

Thank you all for your feedback! I know for sure dress #2 is going back, and probably the last one two.

I had my physical today. I'm down 3 pounds since my visit 4 months ago, and he said I need to lose a little bit more. But I am healthier than I have been in years, so I'm very happy about that. It would be so great to "spot reduce". Y'all know where I want to lose the excess baggage, right??? :'):')

Anita, I like that skirt you posted a picture of. That is really neat.

Anita I really like that skirt especially the wide waist band . I would think a knit would be more suited to that type of skirt .

Well I am getting ready to start seriously getting all my clothes together for my trip . It is 21 days and packing for myself is okay but I have to also pack for Gary . He would pack his on suitcase but who knows what would be in it so I pack and gather the clothes .On Wednesday I went to Beall's which is the Florida department store . Everything is geared towards Florida living and they have great sales . It was 50% off and then if you bought over $50 it was an additional 20% off and I had a $10 coupon so I really scoured for Gary . I also have $30 in Beall's bucks to spend next week . I am just trying to wrap my head around the different clothes needed for the ship and then all the land excursions . Just when I have it all figured out I think of one more thing .I know I will get everything ready and then do some eliminations this is what I always do .Whatever does not fit in one bag stays home.

Sally, what ship are you on for the TA? I have all my clothes ready to pack & ironed Les's dress shirts & aloha shirts today, he's ready to go (27 days from today, who's counting [emoji849]). I loved Bealls when we lived in FL or when we visit. That's one store I miss. Melody

We don't have a Beall's around here. I should look online.

I showed my husband the pictures of the dresses since he's been working g some overtime. His reply was that he liked the red one the best. So I'm going to keep that. I think k I'll be taking the other two back. JC Penney seems to have a ton of things online right now, so I might take another look.

So, Melody and Sally, refresh my memory on your upcoming trips again!!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I am sailing the Freedom of the Seas to Portugal and Spain then spending 5 days in Barcelona before flying home .Melody you are way ahead of me. I have clothes in piles but none are ironed yet . I guess I should start to tackle that next week . I also have to get some euros .

We're on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston on a b2b; week 1 is Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica; week 2 is Belize, Honduras & Cozumel. So I get grilled grouper twice at Nachi Cocum! Yum!!

Sally, I only ironed cause I was stuck inside with a blizzard yesterday. 78 last Monday & 12" of heavy wet snow yesterday, today snow is gone & I just came home from a high school track meet & high 50s. Strange weather, but I'll take the moisture to put out the wildfires. Melody

Hey all. I forgot to post this yesterday. I was in Macy's Saturday and came across a suit I already had that was too big. It was on sale, so I bought it again in a different size. I really like it because it works for all seasons. It may look a bit cooler here than it is. It is more of a soft autumn but warms up great if you put a warm shirt with it.

a75b99daa40559660e6a46fe50778d8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I enjoy the itineraries out of Galveston, but it is a pain to get there. Houston has two airports IAH (Bush) & Hobby. Hobby is much smaller, but 30 minutes closer to the port on the southern side of Houston. Houston traffic is miserable. I've driven in Boston (as a police paramedic), NYC, LA, Tokyo, Manila. Houston is just awful, 6 lanes everyone going 85 (in 55mph) or more. Les refuses to drive there. Also, no rental car companies are open on Sundays (so you can't do a drop off/pick up on cruise day. Oh & Uber isn't allowed on the island, the taxis are pretty high. There are a couple of shuttles that go from both airports that are reliable. It is a port I wouldn't consider traveling into day of cruise & id book the return flight after 2 pm (at earliest), customs is notoriously slow in Galveston Most of the Galveston hotels have a two night minimum stay (but that's ok, Galveston itself is a neat town). That being said, this is our third time in 3 years sailing out of Galveston, once you're on the ship life is good [emoji6]. Melody

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-messenger-bag/135807?productid=10472321

I just bought this bag for travelling in Europe . I was going to use it for this trip and then sell it on ebay but I like it so much I will keep it . It has side compartments for carrying water and it is just a great size for a travel bag .Next year we are going to Cuba so it will be a great bag for there ..

Houston traffic is miserable.
:')

Can you believe that DH spent over 2 years commuting 60 miles each way from the far NW side to the far SE side?

That said...I do miss Houston highways...it can take me 30 minutes just to get to highway out here in the backwoods of suburban Atlanta...:(

Nice bag Sally! It's similar to a bag I have with the pocket arrangement and style...mine isn't an anti-theft class of bag but for the utility of the bag...best travel bag...I love mine.

Sally, love that bag. I have a similar Travelon one that I got at Tuesday Morning, it's a burgundy animal print.

Anita, Les would've found either another job or house. Seriously, he flat refused to drive (& it was Thanksgiving morning). Didn't bother me too much, but the traffic was ridiculous. Melody

I like that bag too. I was thinking of looking for one, and I am pretty sure that our local AAA travel agency has them their too. Maybe I can find one in brown or olive? Those colors would be great. I find those cross body straps to be great when out and about. It distributes the weight nicely.

It sounds like it is quite a chore to get to Galveston! We have flown to Orlando a number of times and then driven or used transfers to get to port Canaveral. It is such an easy drive though, with hardly no traffic.

Next up for me is the Boston Red Sox game in June. it's going to be a great weekend for us. Quite a bit of the time will be spent driving. I am thinking now about traffic, based on our current conversation here. We thought about flying down, but I don't think the airfare is worth it.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn, and I understand it is very close to public transportation to and from the game. Melody, any insight? We are driving down Friday, the game is Saturday, and then we leave to come home early Sunday. I'd love to know what we should check out while we are there that's easy to get to. We tend to be a bit laid back on our trips, and try not to over plan. We love finding fun places to eat, museums and so forth.

And I have my September cruise to work on too! The itinerary is almost completely new to us. We sail out of San Juan and go to St. Thomas, Curacao, St. Kitts and Aruba. We have no idea what to do in each stop. I am thinking there won't be anything like Nachi Cocom in any of the ports, but you never know!

What experience do the rest of you have with these stops?

I was thinking the other day that I never posted one of my favorite pictures from Key West. My husband took it, and it's kind of funny. but you know, I think part of what I enjoy about cruising is just having fun.

I'll post it shortly, as soon as I find it!

Laurie , I have spent a lot of time in Boston so I would recommend going a day or two earlier so you could do a tour of Boston . Boston is a great city with a lot to see . I would do the Hop on hop off tour . I would also check out Fanueil Hall and of course Cheer's. Eat at a legal Sea foods and maybe do a duck tour or walk the freedom trail.