All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie...that's a pretty bra...I really like the adjustable straps to make it racer back compatible. I just ordered more of that one bra though...so probably will wait to try it out until I feel like my size has changed again. A key element for me is for the bridge to be more on the wide side...I need space in between ;p

Congrats Melody. The easy weight loss is the best. Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing which is if you eat properly then your body takes the initiative to go back into balance...carrying less excess weight being what it takes to go more into balance between the ability to move and burn energy (muscle weight) and the stored energy to fuel movement (fat weight). Feeding well means that your body is comfortable losing the storage.

I'll check out that book Sally. DS just saw the opera based on the book, Cold Mountain. He was able to meet the composer of the opera as well...it's all a part of the school he is going to now. I never read that book...and was thinking about checking that one out.

So today was our day to go see the Russian Grand Ballet perform Swan Lake. It was amazing. It was an interesting performance in that I've never not had live music. It makes sense for the traveling company to use a prerecorded performance of the music, but that was different to have the music being pumped into the theater through the speaker system. The real bonus of that though was that there was no orchestra pit...so it felt very intimate with the dancers. It was lovely.

And I was finally able to wear my lovely dress from Chicos...

IMG_1847.jpg

The flash didn't show the true coloring of the dress well...so sorry about the focus...it's a very muted tone on tone blue...which I think is pretty warm. Mom...that periwinkle colored polish you picked up for me from Kiko matches the lightest blue in the dress perfectly...I didn't get a close up of that though...oh well...

IMG_1848.jpg

This post does a good job of representing the color of the dress:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-129-Chicos-Indigo-Cold-Shoulder-Hanky-Hem-Keyhole-Neck-Dress-Plus-Size-1-5/253180882641?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D1e1e1c9d26bb498799caab6d16ee5ac2%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D253192424780&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

My photos were taken at the end of the night when we came back home...I do wish that I had a daylight photo because I was really happy with my makeup tonight, which is something that I struggle with...anyway...

I have more dress up nights coming...we're going to see Joyeux Noel at the indie theater, which is the movie that the opera Silent Night was inspired by...and then we're going to see Silent Night the following weekend...an evening performance, not a matinee! I'm in a debate over seeing a ballet called Dracula...which is the same weekend at Silent Night...so that feels a bit like a lot on one weekend but I would love to see a modern ballet, especially after seeing such a strongly classic ballet as today's performance. And there's another modern opera the first weekend in November...

Anita, you look beautiful! That dress is perfect for you, and you look very much at home in it. I word myself that way because it looks meant for you.

We don't have many opportunities for fine arts here. I think we are a sports city. Last year, we went to The Nutcracker and we loved it. We all wore our red dresses and my husband matched us with his red tie. It was December so it was very, very cold. It was nice that they had a coat check though.

I was able to convince my doctor to let me try contacts but they had to order my prescription trial pair. My daughter has been given me eye makeup pointers. I wear a light coat of fohndation, a little blush and some mascsra. She has been showing some other things as well, such as highlighter and so on.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Winston calls itself "The City of Arts and Innovation" so it has a focus there...and we've been enjoying that. I was so happy to finally wear that dress. I think it would be a good cruise dress too. Very light weight...I'm just not sure of the wrinkle factor.

I think it would be great on a cruise also. I had a lot of reservations about bringing the brown dress because I was worried about wrinkles but I didn't have the slightest issue.

Now my hi low dress was a nightmare to pack. But it ended up just fine.

I would try a dry cleaner bag and just accordion gold it in three sections.

And the app works again on my phone, so I can now get some pics of the dresses to share. The lighting in my room is never good, but I'll post this for now and then when I try them on, I'll be I. The kitchen.

3ea2789d9b05ae624a7f55b9f5923986.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

The brown is a beautiful chocolate brown.

The ivy is a very dark olive, and the satin/matte gold finish on the rivets at the neckline is great.

The red is fire, I think. It is bright but not as glowy as it looks here. If you can zoom in to the neckline, it is really pretty. .

Here's a link for the dress. Great deal too. I got another 20% off the clearance price so if I decide to keep it, there won't be much guilt.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/worthington-sleeveless-trapeze-dress/ppr5007186292?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&urlState=/g/misses-size-sleeveless-womens-dresses-red/N-bwo3xD1nnujcZ135Z134Z1c2Z1mu&page=5&sizeRange=misses%20size

Anita, when I saw your dress, I remembered one I was considering at JC Penney.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/nicole-by-nicole-miller-short-sleeve-a-line-dress/ppr5007217551?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=22280480067&selectedLotId=2228048&fromBag=true&quantity=1&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=retargeting&utm_content=Womens-Apparel&cid=display|criteo|Womens-Apparel|retargeting

I was thinking about style differences, and why I decided against it.

I think it is probably fire, but sometimes you have to see a color in person.

Then I thought it needed some tapering for my tastes. Then I saw the fabric up close. Then I was trying to figure the hemlinw, as I think it may be a shirt tail type?

Long story short, I love it, but I know it isn't for me.

That is what I love about learning about our styles and so forth. Instead of buying based on what simply appeals to me, I buy based on what I would really wear.

There will always be exceptions. But it really helps me to not be impulsive when shopping.

Love that teal dress Laurie! Think I’ll order it! Hope the Sox keep charging! Retina appt this morning, I’ll be back on tomorrow. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

fyree39...I couldn't read it either, I had to google it to find it:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/83/b6/27/83b627aa8c1825e34de25a2daacdc67a--minimal-classic-dramatic-classic-kibbe-style.jpg

The link will take you to a new screen and then you have to click on the image to get it to zoom in to the 100% view. The first view is the "fit on screen view".

I was just trying to find when Margaret is cruising...she must be leaving soon...

And Melody, you leave in November?

We just booked a cruise yesterday!!! SO excited. The short story is that because of potential summer study, I was looking at Alaska cruises and I found what I thought was a pretty good deal considering the timing for booking...in a very good stateroom to accommodate our party of 3...and so yes, now it's booked.

At first, we were just going to let that go and then do a wait and see a bit because there are some things on the horizon that might affect our plans...but then, we were thinking that if we never make the plan and just work toward it, we'll never go. And next summer is the summer before DS' senior year...so it's the best time to really plan a trip that is the most appealing to DH and myself...not that DS is uninterested...just not sure it would be his FIRST choice...

So we took a look at airfare...were pretty shocked at how affordable it was to fly to Vancouver. Looked at DH's miles...then looked at getting home from Anchorage and were again, somewhat shocked to see that we basically had enough miles to cover 5/6 tickets... So we booked them!! OMG...

And because of DH's status, we were able to select the exit row on all our flights! I'll share this little thing...if you are ever paying for a trip with miles...your party will only be on one reservation if you use the same payment method for all tickets. So rather than paying for two outbound tickets with miles and one OOP, we did the whole miles and cash combo so that we could be one single reservation. It changes the options for if you have to cancel your trip...BUT...the total cost was something we could swing easily and so we just went ahead and did it while the pickings were good...

And we figured out we'll be able to use DH's Marriott points in Vancouver for the two nights we'll be there prior to boarding.

So now, I'll just have to figure out 4 nights post cruise...

And of course, all the excursions for 4 ports!

Has anyone else cruised Alaska? Or visited there?

First, thank you, Anita for fixing that picture I was posting. I did not realize at the time when I copied and pasted it that it was so blurry.

Alaska!!! I have never been, but it is near the top of my bucket list. The only reason we haven't booked it yet is because I wanted to spend a certain amount of time on this particular cruise, as well as my husband. We were looking at a cruise tour possibly, or simply giving ourselves an extra day before the cruise as well as a few at the end. We generally work with 7 day cruises right now so we were thinking this has to be like the first thing we do when we retire, or simply a good 5-10 years from now. At least, I'm hoping our work schedules would allow it 5-10 years from now.

So you leave from Vancouver, and then fly back from Alaska? What line are you on?

My husband often says he would go part time after a certain age, because he can't imagine just retiring. For me, my job has been a rough one, especially the last few years. I see myself retiring between 62 and 67, possibly.

But anyway, I'm so excited for you!!! I want to say that Margaret has been to Alaska? I could be wrong. I know that someone over on the Fire thread has been on a cruise tour, I think.

You did a great job using miles and points. You are saving yourself a lot of cash!

I agree that Margaret should be leaving very soon, and that Melody was going in November. My next one is April. We are also talking about going back to Boston in June again, although that isn't a cruise. That was so much fun!

Anita , I have been to Alaska . It was one of our favorite trips . We did the round trip inside passage going from Vancouver and returning to Seattle . The inside passage is so interesting . I had a map of it so I could follow where we were .There is also a naturalist on board who gives talks on what you will see .Alaska is gorgeous and I think you are smart going now .The glaciers are melting and some are much smaller than they were . We took a trip into the Yukon that was very interesting and we went whale watching .Vancouver is a beautiful city . They have a hop on hop off bus that covers all the sites .I packed layers.Alaska cruises are very casual even on dress up night you will see a lot of jeans . A rain jacket , a fleece ,some long sleeved t shirts, jeans and sneakers plus gloves and you are set .I did pack a few dressier things for dinners but nothing fancy. Make time to go to the Red Dog Saloon .Its a hoot .

I think Margaret cruises before I do. We leave day after Thanksgiving for Miami, 2 Days in South Beach then the 14 night cruise. I’ve been to Alaska when I was working, but I really didn’t get time to enjoy it. Les has no interest in Alaska. Vancouver is a fun city! When we did our Hawaii/Vancouver cruise the ticket from Vancouver was so ridiculously priced that we rented a car, drove to Seattle & spent the night in Seattle for less than half what we would’ve spent flying from Vancouver.

Sally is right, layers are your friend. Waterproof a pair of sneakers or hiking shoes & you’ll be fine. What an exciting thing to look forward to. Melody

We're on Celebrity Millennium. It's a Northern Glacier Cruise:

Day 1 Vancouver

Day 2 Inside Passage cruising

Day 3 Ketchikan, AK

Day 4 Icy Strait Point, AK

Day 5 Juneau, AK

Day 6 Skagway, AK

Day 7 Hubbard Glacier cruising

Day 8 Seward, AK

We got a super special OV cabin that basically includes what is normally balcony square footage into the cabin square footage. This is the kind of cabin that we had on Enchantment, and it worked out VERY well for us, so I'm excited about that. It can be challenging to find a happy compromise between price and space for a party of 3...and this completely fit the bill, so very exciting.

DH and I have talked about going to Alaska since we first met...back then it was all about backpacking and climbing and hiking and being in the outdoors. And while that is still something we aim to do, cruising there was always high on the bucket list.

I'm not worried about having the appropriate clothing...being an outdoor enthusiast, I have everything already; it will just be a matter of selecting what is needed/most appropriate for the trip. And that won't truly be known until we figure out the shore excursions.

Melody...I could have played that game with flying into and out of Seattle and then doing some other form of transportation to get to Vancouver, but the price was at a point that I was pretty happy and willing to pay to avoid such a transportation hassle on the end of a cross country flight. But it is interesting to note...Mom was warning me to be careful that I paid attention to the Marriott hotel location because it's very easy to end up booking in Washington!

Mom booked today on the same cruise so I am doubly excited about our plans. (She may be bemoaning the fact that my plans are very last minute compared to the way she normally does her plans so her stateroom selection was challenging!) Regardless, I know Dad has been thinking this would be a great family cruise and so I'm so thrilled to find one that will work out.

I've looked several times over the years and there just hasn't been that magic combo of timing, itinerary, stateroom availability, and price...until now. It is pretty comical that Mom and Dad will be on the Millennium three times in less than one year...one three different itineraries!! She says the captain is awesome...which you MAY finally hear about if she ever can start talking about her recent Transpacific cruise.

It's a great motivator for the whole health and fitness aspect of life as well...as any plans on the horizon can be.

I wanted to say, Laurie...all those aspects of the Kibbe Classic contribute to why I think you will fall into that style. One of the hallmarks of the Classic is symmetry and we already talked about how symmetrical you are in relation to the whole Type 4. Figuring out which way your Classic leans is the challenge to my mind.

Because Classic is the balanced one...it can lean in any of the directions of the other four...Dramatic, Natural, Romantic, Gamine. As a Classic, you would expect that your features would be a mix...that's what makes you Classic in addition to the symmetry. It's figuring out where the scale tips...

Anita , That looks like a great iternary .Your Son will love that cruise . There were plenty of options to hike in the various ports . I got most of my excursion ideas here on Cruise Critic .We did all private excursions .I also bought a guide book to help me narrow down what I wanted to see .I did do the fly into Seattle and then we took an express bus to Vancover .It was a pain but at that time flying into Vancover was ultra expensive .What month are you cruising ?

I am not cruising until Feb ,but next month I am taking my daughter ,SIL and grandsons to Disney World . That should be fun .

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Anita, sounds like a great cruise! How fun to be with your Mom & Dad & your family. What great memories you’ll make. Pan Pacific is a great hotel if you can’t locate a Marriott property. I like the Millenium class ships, very easy to maneuver around. Will you have Elite status for laundry?

I think I’m likely Gamin Classic with a touch of Dramatic.

Laurie, we had a great season with our Sox, just not the outcome we hoped for. Melody

I will not have Elite status. Mom and Dad do, I think...and they don't really use the laundry services so if really necessary, I could use that, but IDK...I've never had to do laundry on a trip before. What are you thinking?

Sally...the research on Alaska has begun in earnest. I've just started focusing on the after cruise ideas now...trying to figure out what we really want to see/do on land. There's so much...it will be very difficult to choose...but some talk with DH today...we're on the same page in that we need to figure out what experience will really make us feel like we've experienced something special in Alaska. Like...not trying to do too much at a shallow level, but focus in on something and really experience that. And hope that we can go back to Alaska again.

We cruise at the end of June. June 22-29. All of our air dates were picked based on the best fare. Fortunately, the fare from Raleigh to Vancouver was best two days before embarkation, so we fly in Wednesday...arrive just after 12 noon and get on the ship on Friday. After the cruise, we start to contend with Independence Day travel, but prices on July 3 were excellent...so we are off the ship on Friday and then fly home the following Tuesday, I think. So a nice long weekend at the end.

Our travel day home is going to be quite the ordeal...if you want to think of it that way. Mom was like, Honey, WHY? Anyway, we leave at 5:40 am and arrive in Raleigh at 11:54 PM. We have two transfers. Over 14 hours of lapsed travel time. The fastest travel was still over 9 hours. So many were 11-12 hours. And almost every other travel option was over 100,000 miles. The fastest option was 120 or 130 hundred. But we booked our travel for 60,000!! So you do what you need to do to be able to do what you want to do.

The good news...for us anyway...is that the first layover is a long 4 hours. That could be a nightmare for some, but I"m anticipating that it will be a welcome break after a 5:40 am departure. Moving around and having a good meal...maybe a shower? will be a great break, I think. We then have a 2 hour layover in Atlanta before a short hop home. Again...I think a break for a decent meal and the opportunity to stretch will be a very good thing.

Then we'll sleep in on July 4...stay up for whatever fireworks...and have a nice anniversary dinner on July 5.

It's going to be great.

WDW is fun. We've always enjoyed our vacations there. I wouldn't mind going back but I would want to go during an off time...if that was possible to still find. But I do like the parks. I think I was looking at them because Margaret was talking about going there? And I was reading all about how much has changed since we last went...would be fun to go back.

How tall are you Melody?

Anita, melody has a good point. You know how I am with laundry. But if you want to pack light, jeans and all those layers take up more weight and space do it's good to have a backup plan if you need it.

I recall Kibbe and some things about height. I'm wondering about everyone here. I have to go back to the section on height.

Me, I'm 5' 4 1/2".

Don't forget that half inch, lol.