All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Those sneaker pictures actually make me think of Mom!!! Especially traveling...she wears her sneakers with whatever she's wearing for walking around. But we should hear all about that...

I like to coordinate my sneakers more than some of these look to me...I like the red sneaker outfit the best. I think that totally works! Most of my sneakers though...they're prints!! LOL

That one of the greige sweater comes up as a photo, not a link. What size are you using?

I like the red sneakers best, too. I used to have red suede Nike's and I wore them so much, with red lipstick (naturally) and my dancer bun.

Oh my. I can't do sneakers with a dress or skirt. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I'm just admitting that I can't do it.

By the way, I saw the pictures just fine. There wasn't a link.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ok, good! (for the pictures)...

I use that ibb site that you used Margaret. Did you make the free account? You have to upload to the free account, but you want to do that so that your pictures are private, not public.

So make the free account, and then, after you upload, when you have a list of embed codes, there is one that already has the IMG tags before and after the direct html address. You just copy and paste that code. When you do it that way, the preview of the image doesn't show up in immediately in the box where you are writing your text...it only does when you hit the preview post button, so I do usually hit that preview post button, just to be sure that it's working. (If you copy a direct link and go through the process of hitting the icon with the mountain and moon, and then pasting the html address into that pop up box, then you can see the photo immediately in the box where you are writing your post without having to do a preview to see the photo.)

I hope that all makes sense. That's how I am getting photos in my posts these days.

Laurie...as odd as it is...I wouldn't see you in sneakers and a dress or skirt. In my mind's eye, when you do that, you end up looking like you are wearing a retro outfit rather than a current outfit...and that's another reason why I think you push more into the "Classic" Kibbe. I can pretty much only picture you doing that with Keds or some other lower profile sneaker...which is another reason why the whole retro look comes up, I think.

I picture Mom because I literally have pictures of Mom looking just like that. I haven't explored the sneakers with a midi skirt as much...like in these photos...was that in Vogue, Margaret? I'm doing the unlimited Kindle this month on trial and I downloaded some fashion mags, including Vogue, but I did it late last night...haven't looked at them yet.

I try not to guess too far ahead on things such as kibbe or sStyle Statement or Dressing Your Truth... but a pattern is emerging. And with Kibbe, I really can't imagine being anything other than classic, even with as little research as I have done. I think what I wonder about is how certain things that I like fit in, such as my love for necklaces that aren't little pendants. I like them to be a focal point without dominating.

And I really didn't like the pearl necklace with the teal formal dress as much as I would have hoped. Sometimes, I just have a feeling or look that I want to convey. I didn't really listen to my heart on that choice. But that's not to say I didn't like it, because I did.

I saw some nice things when I was in the store but I need to go online because they didn't have my size in some of the work basics I was looking for. Their fine gauge sweaters are fantastic by themselves with a scarf or necklace, or under a suit jacket.

My skirt and one shirt arrived from Soft Surroundings. The skirt is GORGEOUS. I am absolutely thrilled...it was well worth the long wait. It is very summery/spring like to me...so I don't anticipate wearing it much until next year really. I'm pretty excited by that though because I have struggled to have clothing that really feels like spring or summer in Earthy colors. The exception to that will be if I have a fancy to attend during the holidays...I think it would be very appropriate for that with all the sparkle from the appliquéd sequence, and the lighter color won't be so off in that setting.

The shirt is very nice. The fit is pretty good. It is a bit loose in the back, just like I thought it would be, so there are lots of wrinkles back there that look like additional rouching. The front hits surprisingly well though, not too much cleavage at all. The only thing about the ivory color is that the shirt is a bit thin...which is good for where it is doubled up...but this means that it's a bit thin on the single layer...and that isn't quite as wonderful. The ivory is a great CREAM color though...no hint of white. It's a solid warm cream color.

It's a perfect shirt for free the nipple. Margaret, did you see that little blurb in Vogue? I had to look that up...I guess it's a whole movement that I've never heard of before...I don't think that I would really participate in that movement. I did find some product that made me laugh...apparently there are pasties out there with bumps so that you look, well, COLD, I guess, all the time and really have your nips stand out...which I think is absolutely hilarious, because TMI, that's not a product that I need, at all...that's my 24/7 look for whatever reason... Has anyone else ever heard of this? ANYWAY...

The marshmallow color should be delivered tomorrow...

Oh! My! Goodness!!! Since childbirth, I've been trying my best to camouflage that area. I've worn much more padding than I need and I've worn band-aids for extra coverage. To think people are purposefully purchasing the looks, seems hilarious to me. I've read up on the subject now and understand why breast cancer survivors might want them, but honestly, I'm with you, Anita. It's pretty much my 24/7 look. LOL

Glad the skirt met and exceeded expectations.

I love my Missoni Keds with a shift dress and jean jacket. LOVE!

I kind of think it might be more of a magazine article thing - you know, shock value? That, or I live in a conservative area that hasn't caught on. I wear lined bras because I look like that all the time. The joke is, my high beams are on. :o

Which brings me to a topic I have been wanting to bring up. As you know, I'm particular about and style of clothing, and bras are no exception. I have settled on two as of late - Soma and just certain Victoria's Secret bras.

Soma is a great fit, quality bra. Their unlined Enticing Lift bra has the best fit ever, and it does provide for some modesty as the fabric has a bit of weight to it. I can wear the strappy balconet, but the full coverage fits me weird. The other bras have heavily molded cups, and being rather "endowed", I get a very unnatural look. I do love the Enticing Lift a lot though. I want them to add those little concealing petals that Bali bras and the C9 sports bras have. Then I would never need another bra!

VS - I have to be selective. A lot of their bras either have all sorts of padding and push up features, which nature has already given me. They have an unlined bra that feels absolutely wonderful, but there isn't even the slightest bit of modesty to it under clothing. I just purchased a bra that I have not tried on yet, but the cups don't feel as stiff even though they are lined. I'm hoping this is an ideal bra. I'll let you know.

Do any of you have the same issue as me? I really want a good support bra that feels attractive, without feeling molded. Soma is so close with that bra. I do wear them quite a bit, but I have to be careful what I wear them under. My current go to the Embraceable Demi. Like I've been saying, I just want a more natural shape.

Both the Embraceable Demi and Enticing Lift have the nice feature of being able to cross the straps. I love this with the shirts I have where the shoulders come in a bit. I don't have to worry about straps showing, and it's much more comfortable and nicer looking than a strapless.

We do not have a Soft Surroundings in this area that I am aware of. I would love to check out a few of the tops.

My husband needed some new work pants, and JCP had them on sale over he weekend so I placed an order. They had a cute dress on clearance, so I threw that into the order.

Talking about my husband though, he tends to wear one type of thing, and then he is reluctant to try anything else. Just before the cruise, I ordered Dockers for him in the slim fit, because I was able to get them for $25.00 in sale, which I thought was a very good price. I had him try them on, and he seemed to like them but he was hesitant. So when he was packing, and looking for two pair of khakis to bring, I threw them in the suitcase. This way, he had to wear them. :p

Now he wants more of them. He has what I will call baggy butt syndrome. Since losing weight, it is worse. He has continued to lose more weight, where I am leveled off a bit and need to make changes so that I can lose a bit more. I'll get to that in a moment too. But anyway, the slim fit just looks so much neater on him. Because of his build, he looks pulled together. They aren't tight or anything like that, they just look really, really nice.

So I ordered a few more pair because they were on sale again, and found a cute dress that reminds me of the newer gold one I wore on the cruise. I think it's a really nice dress, and the fabric and overall shape is the same. I am really trying to find things in earthy colors. Dresses in particular can be really hit or miss. This is a pretty strong red though. Hopefully, one of the girls will be around tomorrow so I can try on that dress and the other two and post some pictures. Then I can see what you all think.

And about the weight leveling off...I think it is normal to plateau a bit, which we all do. But before my cruise, my doctor told me my thyroid medicine level was too high and he lowered it. I knew after about 3 weeks that wasn't right, but he was on vacation, I was on vacation, then I thought I was going to be in Puerto Rico another week....

When I had my new blood work done, the medicine level was way too low. I gained only two pounds, but it drives me nuts. They have done additional tests and an ultrasound, but no reason for the ups and downs. I avoid soy and grapefruit, two of the known things to interfere with thyroid medicine or thyroid functioning.

Anita, your mom has mentioned a few things before such as raw vegetables, but I haven't found this to make a difference with me.

Anyway, I'm doing a lot more weights with the cardio, and I feel really good about that. But if you have hypothyroidism, you may understand some of the things going on - being really tired, extra dry skin and nails...and a general blah feeling. My dosage has been put back to where it was, so I expect to start feeling better in the next few weeks.

I’m hypothyroid too & now exactly what you mean. My level is so wacky that they’re talking biopsy. Enough already. How much synthroid are you on? I’m at 150mg this week. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Half of my response disappeared.

I’ve tried the Soma bras, they just don’t work for me. I loved VS bras but they no longer carry my size in store. I’ve been most comfortable in Olga front closure. good coverage, low cut but not revealing & easy to put on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love Vanity Fair bras , They fit me well and have a wide back so no bulges show . Beall's usually has sales where they are two for one . I hate spending big bucks for bras .

Laurie when I was losing weight I got to a certain weight and no matter what I did it would not budge so I just accepted that this was my new weight . It has been easy to maintain . I had no interest in getting to a weight I could not maintain without severe restrictions .All your exercising is changing fat to muscle and that weighs more .I don't know why but men can lose weight easier .

Well...because I was the one to bring up the topic...I just want to offer up the following as a sort of public service announcement. The Free the Nipple is not a magazine initiated idea...it is a campaign that officially started in 2012, I think. It's based on a platform that asserts that it is a gender bias for men to be able to have their nipples on display while it is public indecency for women to do the same. You can show the entire breast publicly so long as the nipple is hidden... I believe that part of the motivation for the movement is in support of breastfeeding...but also, it is response to things like a senior high school female student being told that her portrait was indecent and couldn't be included in the year book because too much of her bralette showed under her arm pit while the entire men's swim team was photographed in their speedos. I'm not asserting an opinion one way or the other...not trying to have a political conversation...just want everyone reading to be informed of the goings on.

Ironically, in order to have her posted picture on Facebook not be taken down for indecency, a woman cut out photos of male nipples and adhered them to her own nipples to cover them up...and was otherwise topless...and the photo passed muster. I don't think that the women of the movement are necessarily advocating seeing female nipples any more than you see male nipples...although, apparently, it is legal to go topless in NYC and there is a woman that is supposedly known to take advantage of that city ordinance and go around topless...

While the issue is serious for some...I thought it was amusing to read about the whole make your nipples more prominent accessories out there now...as, it would appear that so many of us, as Laurie said...always have our high beams on...that the need to purchase such accessories is fairly comical.

Debbie, I used to care...but I think Mom and I both decided a while back that for daily life...everyone else just needs to get over it. It's just me and the way I am and if you don't like it, then look up...at my face.

Laurie...I also go for the more natural look...I do not regularly buy bras with any sort of padding at all. First of all...my shape is what I would call low volume...I might fill out the bottom of the padded bra but then it's a bit like a tent offering shade on the upper part...and I really don't need the additional volume. So I go for unlined. I did buy a lightly padded bra for that 40th birthday celebration cruise...I did care about the headlights for formal night...I did want to shine low beams and so I splurged on a bra that I think was a single layer of memory foam or something? I don't exactly recall except that it was more moldable than any such bra I had previously tried and it actually fit me properly.

I spent a bit of time in Kohls shopping the bras during a big sale...I have usually landed on a Bali, I think, but the best fitting bra I have right now is actually a Playtex. The bridge is flat against my chest and it doesn't pinch anywhere...it's pretty fab...I didn't take the tags of one of the two Bali bras I purchased, and I'm thinking that I'm going to exchange it.

I also think that I might have changed sizes in the past month or so...since moving to Winston and getting settled in the new apartment, I've been very strict with what I've been eating, not counting calories or anything like that, but following an eating regime that is prescribed on the basis of a tongue analysis and what Traditional Chinese Medicine would advise to correct some health issues. As per the norm, the first weight to come off is from my upper back area...I do tend to lose from the top down...so...I think the Bali bra fit is a bit off now...I did anticipate that and that's why I kept the tags on it and haven't worn that one.

Laurie...hitting a plateau is, as you said, completely normal. If you aren't doing it already...one way that you can break through that is with the high intensity interval training...commonly written as HIIT. You'd have to find an activity that you enjoyed. Zumba was that activity for me...and it broke Mom through a plateau that she had hit and thought would be her maintaining weight. My understanding is that you don't need to do a lot...no more than twice a week actually, but to do more can have the reverse affect...causing too much stress on your body and encouraging a stress response rather than a trim down response.

If you haven't researched HIIT, the basically of the idea are that you keep your body "on it's toes" so to speak. You don't let it settle into any kind of rhythm with whatever activity you are doing. As you change from low to high to medium to high to low or whatever...and keep changing the demand you place on your body...your body is continually having to respond...it never hits cruise control...it can't ever figure out if there is a system that you won't need to access that it can "put to sleep". The analogy that I always used when teaching my Zumba classes was that HIIT was like city driving, or driving mountain roads. The start, the stop. The slow down, speed up. We all know that such driving isn't fuel efficient, it requires MORE ENERGY than just cruising on the highway. So, if you put your body through paces that mimic city driving, then you will use MORE ENERGY than if you just maintained a steady pace (highway driving) for a cardio workout.

But the real benefit is not the actual energy expenditure that occurred during your HIIT workout. The real benefit is AFTERWARD when your body goes through its process to get back to its "normal". It has to run maintenance through all its systems and make sure that everything is ok. Since very few systems were put to sleep, this can take a while...and that's where you get the really beneficial energy burn because the body will really rely on its stores of energy to fuel that process.

The body is constantly striving to conserve energy...to do things more efficiently. It's why you actually build muscle when you try to. The body responds to the increased demand on the muscles and understands that if you are going to keep doing this, it better make stronger muscles so that you can more efficiently do whatever activity that is. But even as it does that...it's looking for the systems that aren't impacted by the activity so that it can shut down the supply to those systems and not expend as much energy doing whatever you're doing. It's why they say that it is beneficial for you to change up your exercise routine every however many months...and that time period can vary individually...but at some point, most people's bodies will figure out a way to do the same work for less energy.

With HIIT, your body can't find the pattern to figure out how to do that for less energy. At least, that's the idea...and so, as you keep more of your body involved in your work out, the process to homeostasis also continues to be very involved and thus, you can break through a plateau.

And that's my little dissertation on HIIT and its benefits.

I know Mom can really relate to what you are talking about Laurie... That's a very real hurdle and the only thing that I really know about it is that what you eat can make all the difference in the world...of course, I believe that's true regardless of the health challenge. I do hope you are feeling better soon with a change in your dosage.

Just to throw out there...this is the Playtex bra. It's the prettiest bra I've been able to wear in a long long time:

http://www.onehanesplace.com/shop/onehanesplace/bra/bras-brand/playtex-bra/playtex-lift-underwire-bra-us4825?gclid=Cj0KCQjw09zOBRCqARIsAH8XF1anQfzo8J5V78pJXN8we-ShnAywz_LnrT--s7CfhzPyuZxx4OMvvLkaAsZ-EALw_wcB&D1=SEARCHA&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLAs-_-NA-_-NA&country=US&currency=USD&ef_id=WdembwAABX4NPsNn:20171006155403:s

There's a lining in the cup that keeps the lace from being itchy. But it isn't padded at all.

The marshmallow color came today. It's not what I thought it would be. It's an ivory kind of color...not very warm really...just a white kind of color...and not heathered like I thought for some reason. I'm sending it back. I'm debating getting a different color of the same shirt or getting the sleeveless version...

I probably didn't word myself properly. I didn't so much mean that a magazine came up with the idea of free the nipple, just that they may give it more life than it has.

In concept, I understand and agree. It's just not for me though.

I have found that in addition to size, the style of bra can make a different for me when it come to proper fit. I think we have some similarities in bra fit, Anita. That is why I love this one here. I don't like a lot of detail on a bra. (surprise) It has a lace look, but it is essentially tonal. I currently own two, and the majority of my bras are flesh toned. I don't have to think about it when getting dressed - the bra will disappear, whether I'm wearing ivory or brown.

https://www.soma.com/store/product/enticing+lift+strappy+unlined+balconet+bra/570162838?color=6143&catId=cat11369275

And truthfully, as much as I try, I cannot find a bra that fits better, and still has a little bit help with the show through.

I'm much more comfortable in my skin these days, as the saying goes. I don't want to see anything showing through at work, or in my formal night pictures. But otherwise, it's simply part of my body. I'm not 100% comfortable, but way more than I used to be. Work is so different, in that it is ultra conservative. You don't show cleavage at work, you wear a very good coverage bra to prevent show through.

My life outside of work doesn't mind cleavage, and doesn't mind if there is some show through in my Soma bras.

The VS bra had a lot of show through. A lot - very thin but good fabric. It was incredibly comfortable. The support was so-so.

Melody, I'm at 88 with thyroid medicine at the moment. I've tried certain things with diet - avoiding raw veggies and so on, but it has no impact on me.

Anita, I was wondering how the marshmallow shirt was going to work for you. You never know with name colors, but a few times I have seen that as a description of a color, and it had a pinkish tint to it. In your case it was different.

We have HIIT classes at the gym. I don't take classes, mostly because it is hard for me to follow the instructors with my hearing loss. I feel I am probably not that far away from where my body needs to be. It's easy to focus on a size or a weight, but there is so much more to being healthy than that. When I started, I did not have a size or weight in mind at all - I wanted to take better care of myself and lose weight because I needed to.

So I do need to take more weight off, but I don't think a lot. If I'm looking at weight as a number, I think 20 pounds seems right. But I'm going to let my body do the talking. From my past, I know that what Sally is saying it right - if it is hard to maintain when you are eating right and exercising, it's probably because it isn't best for your body.

By the way, I use the app on my phone for notifications. I can receive the notifications, but I can't get to the forum from the app. Is anyone else having this issue? My laptop is fine - I just go to the CC website. The app on my Nook was find the last time I tried it.

I get the forum on my iPad & iPhone.

Anita, I wondered about the marshmallow color...now if it was toasted marshmallow...

I’ve lost 10lbs in past month, not really trying anything other than using a smaller plate& drinking more water. I’m trying for 25 more...we’ll see. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like nice bras with some coverage but is it just me that thinks it is insane the amount they charge for bras ? Guys tee shirts come in packages for a lot less than we pay for one bra .

I went to the movies to see "The Glass Castle " today . I had read the book a few years ago . If you like to read it is a great ,sad story .

I hate how expensive bras are too. I will say that my Soma bras have lasted better than other brand I've tried. I wait for sales to try to get the best deal I can.

Sslly, my husband and I planned a date night for tonight and were planning on a movie. But he worked yesterday from 7 AM to 10 PM and then today from around 9 AM to 6 PM. He was really tired so we went to dinner only. As a matter of fact, he already fell asleep!