Book accessible cabin when mobility disability is only sometimes?

Krypti

Thank you. :D

He's only been out of the Air Force for a couple of years now, so adjusting to civilian life has been difficult on its own, without having to concede that he's on the other side of forty and maybe needs some help. I was so proud of him for just getting his parking tag!

Has he been rated as service connected for his spinal stenosis problems by the VA? Has he registered for VA healthcare? He is entitled to this, even if not service connected. DME coverage is included, so with a VA doctor's prescription the VA may purchase him a manual wheelchair or scooter.

A wheelchair is a tool that lets you do what you want to do in spite of your disability. People who say that using such a tool are "giving in" to the disability, or allowing the disability to "win" are limiting their lives. We don't say people are giving into the nail if we use a hammer to pound it in instead of driving it into the wood with our hands.

So what I'm wondering is, did I do the wrong thing by booking an accessible cabin?

nope. I am in the 'sometimes' category myself. far better to have it just in case than to not have it and be miserable.

we only have problems with people who book one SOLELY because they want a bigger cabin. and not due to any need, temporary or intermittent or otherwise.

Has he been rated as service connected for his spinal stenosis problems by the VA? Has he registered for VA healthcare? He is entitled to this, even if not service connected. DME coverage is included, so with a VA doctor's prescription the VA may purchase him a manual wheelchair or scooter.

A wheelchair is a tool that lets you do what you want to do in spite of your disability. People who say that using such a tool are "giving in" to the disability, or allowing the disability to "win" are limiting their lives. We don't say people are giving into the nail if we use a hammer to pound it in instead of driving it into the wood with our hands.

He's been going round and round with the VA for the last two years. He got his regular doctor at the MTF to write whatever was required for him to get his parking placard.

But I didn't realize that he could get a prescription for a wheelchair or scooter. That might be what he needs to consider.

We did look into a prescription for my service dog to get reimbursed through Tricare, but they don't cover it. :(

Splinter fully agree ! As my doctor once said using any mobility aid is not giving into the disability. Rather it's a form of energy management to continue doing the things that you like and bring joy to to one's life.

My husband and I are booked on a cruise for next March. Trying to project his health status a year out was tough, and we had to book immediately (the booking is for a convention I'm attending). I had no time to do research beyond "Does this cruise suck?"

We booked an accessible balcony cabin through the convention -- we couldn't book through the cruise line, due to how the convention organizers had organized their block of rooms. Originally the convention organizers had a limited number of accessible cabins in their block, and the accessible balcony room was taken, but they arranged to swap out another accessible room so we could get this one.

But then, I found Cruise Critic and became more aware of just how really rare those accessible staterooms are. So here's my problem:

My husband's mobility disability is a "sometimes" thing. He can walk, but the more he walks, the worse he gets, and "worse" can last for days or even weeks. At his worst, he has to take heavy-duty painkillers in order to get out of bed and can't stand for more than a few minutes. At his best, though, he seems fine.

However, I suspect there's a lot of walking on cruise ships, even if all you want to do is get out of the stateroom to get food. So while he might be fine on day 1, he's probably going to be in bad shape by day 2 and a wreck by day 3.

I've talked to him about renting a wheelchair or scooter. That's a possibility in the future, especially because they just found an irregularity in his spinal MRI that may require surgery. For now, though, he said, "If it's that bad, I'll stay in bed and order room service."

Stubbornness aside, he will likely need and use the bench in the shower, because again, he can't always stand for long periods -- even more than a few minutes. (Basically, he'll use an aid that's already present. If the ship had wheelchairs or scooters already available, this would be a whole different story.)

So what I'm wondering is, did I do the wrong thing by booking an accessible cabin?

You did the right thing booking an accessible cabin. My husband has limited mobility and needs to use the shower bench so we try to book an accessible cabin if it's available. We have a rollator walker that we bring with us and I always try to book a cabin that's close to elevators and dining rooms. We do use the embarkation/debarkation assistance that the cruise lines offer. We will be cruising on the NCL Breakaway next January and will rent a scooter since that ship is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

You totally did the right thing on taking a HC room. Prior to my DH having cervical and lumbar surgery two years ago, and we had a HC room and we still need one now. The cruise is for relaxing and enjoyment...having anything that helps hubby achieve that is total necessity. We would rent a scooter, which gave him total freedom to come and go as he wanted w/o me hanging around him always. We have a two week cruise coming up this November, however this time we'll be bringing his own scooter. Having the freedom and independence is priceless, and a HC room gives him that. Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by neverthought

I'm about in the same category as your husband. Those are extremely LONG hallways! We always stay right by the elevators but it's still a LONG walk. I rent a wheelchair. My grown Daughter and Cruising Companion pushes me to where I want to go, then we ditch the chair and I can walk from the door to my seat in the dinning-room, shops, or where ever I want to go. Again, I repeat those hallways are LONG! I think after the first evening your husband would be in bed the rest of the cruise. PLEASE think long and hard about renting him a wheelchair or scooter. I simply could NOT cruise without something!

Have a WONDERFUL cruise and let us know how it works for you both!

Edited by Honeybear
Adding on.

I would keep on him about renting a scooter. There is a LOT of walking on a cruise ship. I also have chronic pain and spinal stenosis. On my last cruise, I thought I could do it without a scooter. I ended up making my pain worse, and missing out on a lot of the fun the first few days. Then, one of the members of our group gave me a scooter she wasn't using. It literally transformed my cruise experience. I no longer had to contemplate every move: "I want to go here, but it's going to hurt...it's too far...etc." I could just jump on the scooter and go. That said, I do recommend the accessible cabins with a scooter. It is somewhat difficult to get in and out of regular cabins with them, and they take up most of the room. Also, that fold down seat in the shower is key.

You did the right thing booking an accessible cabin. You can always switch from an accessible cabin to a non-accessible cabin, but cannot always switch the other way around.

Edited by payitforward

• 2 weeks later...

Please book your husband a scooter if you don't have one by then. They leave it in your cabin, and when you are at the end of your cruise, you leave it in your cabin and can use the wheelchair disembarkation team to get off the ship. If you use a service dog, you would not have hands free to push him in a chair, and it's a hard push over acres of carpet. I took my Mom on a cruise and urged her to rent a scooter or let me do it for her. She refused, said she'd be fine with her walker. Luckily I had booked an accessible cabin for the bathroom features and cabin location. (I, too, use a scooter). We, luckily had a cabin right next to the elevator that went to our dining room so she could get there. That was the only place she went! The ship was so big, and she got so exhausted just going to the dining room that we spent the rest of the time on the ship in our cabin. I wish I had just rented the scooter and not said anything about it! When we got home, she bought a scooter that week!

Your husband will have more fun if he's not in pain, and can go and participate in whatever he'd like to do!

Hi,

If you want your husband to use a mobility scooter or wheelchair emphasise the benefits like having enough energy to be able to enjoy the cruise, don't nag him into it as if he is anything like me i would dig my heels in (no pun intended) get him to see it as little victories.

When I realised that I needed a scooter I was on a Baltic cruise using my walking stick and I wasn't able to keep up with my wife when we were off the ship, it had an impact on her enjoyment and mine. Now I can keep up with her and chat as we go along. I see that as a victory for me.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

My last cruise without a scooter was a Carnival TA (15 days), several years ago. The walk from the MDR at the back of the ship to the theatre at the front was so long I had to stop several times and rest resulting in arriving late with standing room only. :mad:

I noticed several passengers with scooters on board and asked them about them, some were rented, but most were owned. I later found out the pay back for owning a scooter was about 3-4 rentals, so decided to buy one prior to our next cruise. What a joy. The other benefit by owning one was the use in the airport. I was able to take the shorter TSA line for the disabled and ride all the way to the gate and down the tarmac to the plane's doorway, just a few steps to my seat. The baggage handlers took it from there to under the plan for stowage and returned it to the same place after landing. If you plan to cruise often like we do, consider purchasing a scooter, otherwise rent one the first time to see how it works for you.

Enjoy your cruise !

I've only had an HC accessible cabin on the Emerald Princess, so don't know what it's like on other lines - but after the first day, I quickly learned that putting a towel down on the fold-down seat prevented me from getting marks on the back of my legs from the slats in the seat - and made it much more comfortable, even if it does get soaking wet.

• 3 weeks later...

i myself am 100 % chair bound.however, my parents had the same thought as you did.. they usually will get a regular cabin room.. and she folds the wheelchair as walking from the door to inside the room is very doable.and the step out the balcony,and into the shower,for her this is also doable. They can get a bench in the shower( you can ask most cruise lines for this and they will have it in the shower of even a regular cabin.

As others have said the ships can be quite long, she does use a manual chair when out and about on the floors and halls. i would think no matter what cabin you get, you might want to consider having at least a manual chair with you in case he needs it..

we just came back from 7 days cruise w/carnival. I rented a scooter from special needs, Miami. they went on ship & put scooter in my room at the end they came and took it out. it was $185 for 7 days. and the best money ive spent. our room was in the middle of the ship. just walking half the length at nite to go to dinner was a burden. but not w/the scooter. I made sure mine folded up small and was light weight. I wanted to be able to use it by myself and not be a burden on my family. even though the ship says if you need a tender you cant use the scooter. go to the disembark station anyway. they had baby stollers (with the kids in it) and 2 wheelchairs. so why cant I use the scooter. best money spent.

even though the ship says if you need a tender you cant use the scooter. go to the disembark station anyway. they had baby stollers (with the kids in it) and 2 wheelchairs. so why cant I use the scooter. best money spent.

you cant tender with scooter.. its the batteries and the weight. some tenders will allow manual wheel chairs and strollers..

'CANT' is a word that people use and its not true. 2 children in a tandum stroller weighed more than my scooter. folded the scooter weighed maybe 50 lbs. and the batter was no more weight than a book probably lighter. so don't can can't. the rules are not update probably to the folding size and weight of the newer scooters. that I would believe. but I know what I had.

My scooter weighs about 125 lbs. and is carried aboard tenders all the time unless the sea is too rough. All up to the disembarkation officer at the loading platform. I take a cane and walk aboard just like everyone else and the crew lift my scooter onboard, no problem.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

'CANT' is a word that people use and its not true. 2 children in a tandum stroller weighed more than my scooter. folded the scooter weighed maybe 50 lbs. and the batter was no more weight than a book probably lighter. so don't can can't. the rules are not update probably to the folding size and weight of the newer scooters. that I would believe. but I know what I had.

ok when saying can't im not saying YOUR not capable.... i meant THEIR rules will say it is not allowed.. however different cruise lines have different restrictions..

i had 2 weight lifters with me.. lol we certainly COULD have lifted me and a chair.. heck they can even carry it up flights of stairs and do( with me in it even)..but the cruise ship/line does not allow it. though you can always try as the last choice is up to capt. i bet if we tried to break the rules that were written he would have allowed at after seeing the people i was with were more then capable.. but to us it certainly wasn't worth going through that.

I know if I would have pushed the issue I could have used the scooter. I just wasn't in the mood to argue. I don't know that its up to the captain as it is up to the captain of the tender. next time i'll be ready. with each cruise I get a little smarter. as we all do!