Cheers Program Enhanced :)

kimnicki

Was recently on two other cruiselines (Celebrity and NCL). Both of those lines basically allow all beverages in their programs (water, coffees, etc...) The kicker is that their non-program prices for drinks has gone sky high. A basic cocktail is now $11.95. Apparently they are moving in this direction to try and get everyone on the drink programs, ie.... if you have 4 drinks a day, then you save money by being on the program. The cruiselines are making a fortune on alcohol, so it is a big winner for them. If anyone of us drinks 15 drinks per day, Carnival probably has only about $10 to $15 of cost in total, but charges us $50. It seems like a great deal to us who drink a lot, but in reality Carnival is making a load of money. Expect the non-package drink prices on Carnival to go up soon, which will entice more people to buy Cheers.
Celebrity has been rolling their "classic" drink package into their cruise pricing in almost all their OV and above cruises . However they do it in a real smart/sneaky way . It only includes beer up to $6 , drinks to $8 and wine up to $9 a glass . The choice at these levels is very limited so many pay the extra $10 + tip PP to upgrade to the premium package . No you don't have to upgrade but it is engineered so that you will especially as the base program was "free" .

In short , except for problem drinkers (no 15 alcohol drink limit) , I believe Carnival's program is more inclusive .

Edited by richstowe

If they would only "enhance" the package to do a "staggered" liquor package like they've done in the ports with check-ins, I would consider cheers. I don't drink heavily enough to make the package as it is worth it. Set a $20 package with 5 alcoholic drinks a day... or better yet a total of 5 per day times the number of days you are on your cruise.

Example: $20 per day for a 5 day cruise would give you a total of 25 drinks to consume for the cruise... only 3 drinks on a port day? Have 7 on a sea day! Have all 25 drinks your first three days? Pay for the rest of the drinks you want the last two days... Almost too simple to make sense, right?

Never happen. While most of the discussion is about the 15 drink limit the reality is most never make it to that point. What Carnival advertises as the maximum and the actual pricing they base of true consumption are different things. I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing is based on what averages out to be 7-8 drinks per day per paying customer.

Never happen. While most of the discussion is about the 15 drink limit the reality is most never make it to that point. What Carnival advertises as the maximum and the actual pricing they base of true consumption are different things. I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing is based on what averages out to be 7-8 drinks per day per paying customer.
When all drinks are included , the total can really add up . When we booked Celebrity we didn't think we would drink that much . Mostly we didn't but adding in sodas , waters , juices and coffees to alcohol drinks, really pushes up the total . I have no doubt the same would occur on Carnival , perhaps even more so as the drink package is actually paid for instead of a perk.

Celebrity has been rolling their "classic" drink package into their cruise pricing in almost all their OV and above cruises . However they do it in a real smart/sneaky way . It only includes beer up to $6 , drinks to $8 and wine up to $9 a glass . The choice at these levels is very limited so many pay the extra $10 + tip PP to upgrade to the premium package . No you don't have to upgrade but it is engineered so that you will especially as the base program was "free" .

In short , except for problem drinkers (no 15 alcohol drink limit) , I believe Carnival's program is more inclusive .

Just to be clear, To upgrade to the premium package where I assume top shelf and all beers are included is 10/day/person?

Just to be clear, To upgrade to the premium package where I assume top shelf and all beers are included is 10/day/person?
It is still not unlimited but yes all beers ,wines up to $13 and top shelf drinks for an extra $10 plus tip .

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-beverage-packages?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages_overview#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

Just to add I think there are some fancy extra-special beers which are not included

Edited by richstowe

Don't forget the price of the program before the upgrade is included in the price of your cruise so you need to compare apples to apples. Same itinerary and same type of cabin. Once you do that add the additional $10 per day for the premium package and tell me if Carnival is still more expensive. If they are maybe it's time to change cruise lines

Just looking at Celebrity's web site and the regular price for the premium drink package is $65 per day. Doesn't really matter I just don't understand all the negative comments about just about everything Carnival.

Exactly. If you browse around the other cruise lines pages you'll see the same griping and complaining about many of the same things you see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly. If you browse around the other cruise lines pages you'll see the same griping and complaining about many of the same things you see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah I guess you are right but I don't understand why. We are going on our first cruise next February. We are Canadian and our dollar is only worth about 75 cents US plus we have to fly over 3000 miles to get to Orlando probably the cost of another cruise for two people but we are so excited and thrilled to be cruising with Carnival. We will be buying the Cheers package and personally we think it's worth it.

I, too, would love to know that. I suspect what some others have conjectured will most likely come to be: drink prices will be increased across the board, ala NCL and RCI, making purchasing Cheers! more attractive.

What I'd really love to see is an up-to-date, comprehensive wine list, specifically for Pride. I'd love to know what, if any, high end pinot noirs are available by the glass. But I probably won't be so lucky to get that specific information before I board.:o

When do you board?

These are all questions that I have too and you are looking for the same wine that I will be too. If you board before me please try to get as much info as you can and post it. If I board before you I will do the same.

When do you board?

These are all questions that I have too and you are looking for the same wine that I will be too. If you board before me please try to get as much info as you can and post it. If I board before you I will do the same.

I board on September 25th, so unfortunately, I won't be back before you board.:o Hopefully, others will have reported and answered our questions by then.:)

If you haven't already, you might want to subscribe to this thread;):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326932

ETA: I just realized that you have subscribed to that thread. But I'll leave the link here for others.:)

Edited by ShakyBeef

I board on September 25th, so unfortunately, I won't be back before you board.:o Hopefully, others will have reported and answered our questions by then.:)

If you haven't already, you might want to subscribe to this thread;):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326932

ETA: I just realized that you have subscribed to that thread. But I'll leave the link here for others.:)

Well I guess we will both be waiting for others to help. I have been subscribing to every thread I can that is on the subject, I even started one. I am very hopeful that people begin reporting that these new enhancements benefit them more. If so I will certainly purchase the program.

You can always go to Carnival's web site periodically and check the menus for price changes but I wouldn't worry about it too much now unless you are really close to your sailing date

Not worried, just over-researching and -preparing like I always do. It's a good outlet for my cruise anticipation.:o I already bought Cheers! for DH and myself yesterday, so whatever they have is what I'll have to choose from. But it would just be nice to know beforehand, what my options will be. For one thing, it will help me decide what specific wines I will be bringing as my 2 carry-on bottles.:)

I just noticed that Carnival has updated the "beverages included in Cheers! list" to include milkshakes. Does anyone know where one can get a milkshake onboard (specifically on Pride)?

The following beverages are now available within the enhanced CHEERS! program:

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
  • Milkshakes
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for all beverage classes and seminars

I just noticed that Carnival has updated the "beverages included in Cheers! list" to include milkshakes. Does anyone know where one can get a milkshake onboard (specifically on Pride)?

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
  • Milkshakes
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants

Can't say for the Pride, but on the Sunshine you can get them at the Shake Spot. My kids got one a day! Maybe at the specialty coffee shops?

Would be nice if they added them to bottomless bubbles. Then I would get it for my kids. Alot of kids, like mine, don't drink soda. Plus they serve it from warm cans. Yuck. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

• Milkshakes

Deck 2 Starboard, Piazaa cafe

• Milkshakes

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/shake-spot-menu.ashx

0a5817c7a14acbff8fb231c45674d001.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk