Summit Dry Dock 2016 Questions and Comments

farmerslou

Is it true they are doing away with Bistro on 5? If so, what are they replacing it with and will it be charging a similar relatively nominal fee?

We are sailing on the 18th and can't wait. I am looking forward to the change to Tuscan Grille as our daughter is able to dine there and enjoys it. I'm hoping that if they remove Bistro on 5 it's for something that is also good and not ridiculously priced.

Reports are that the Bistro on 5 is becoming The Sushi on 5, that was done on the sister ship renovated in the fall

Reports are that the Bistro on 5 is becoming The Sushi on 5, that was done on the sister ship renovated in the fall

I too would love to see an S class ship doing the Bermuda run. I am curious what Celebrity will be doing with Bermuda in the future. In 2017, they are sending Summit north to New England and Canada in the middle of the summer. We are looking seriously at a 10 day at the end of June that does an overnight in Boston on the 4th of July. Is this an experiment, perhaps testing out what the sales might look out. If so will they continue with Summit or put an S class ship there after the Edge ships come out.

I too would love to see an S class ship doing the Bermuda run. I am curious what Celebrity will be doing with Bermuda in the future. In 2017, they are sending Summit north to New England and Canada in the middle of the summer. We are looking seriously at a 10 day at the end of June that does an overnight in Boston on the 4th of July. Is this an experiment, perhaps testing out what the sales might look out. If so will they continue with Summit or put an S class ship there after the Edge ships come out.

Yea, the year I can't go because I am going to Ireland/Iceland, they finally give me what I have been asking for, for decades. New England/Canada in the summer. You cannot make this stuff up.

I guess if my DH would just hit the damn lottery I could quit work and do both. sign...........

Yea, the year I can't go because I am going to Ireland/Iceland, they finally give me what I have been asking for, for decades. New England/Canada in the summer. You cannot make this stuff up.

I guess if my DH would just hit the damn lottery I could quit work and do both. sign...........

I think the plan is to wait for the new ships to arrive in 2017 ,and then rearrange the fleet/ Canada in the summer for 7 days or alternating 8 and 6 or 9 and 5 days would be a winner. I would like to try an S class ship to Bermuda, would be the perfect size ship ,and a change

Summit did NE/Canada last summer too (I believe it's doing the same this summer too)...but I could be wrong and I'm too lazy (not feeling well) to go double check and see if I'm correct

Edited by oroszdb

Summit did NE/Canada last summer too (I believe it's doing the same this summer too)...but I could be wrong and I'm too lazy (not feeling well) to go double check and see if I'm correct

Summit only did three 14 night New England/Canada cruises, starting September 6th. So why technically still Summer they are marketed as fall foliage cruises. Would love to sail there in July or August. Actually one year, can't remember which, Celebrity did alternate 7 night Bermuda cruises with 7 night Canada New England cruises. I guess they did not sell well and they just went back to only doing Bermuda cruises from May through August.

Thought about the June 2017 cruise but too expensive when you include air fare. Plus did away with Murano with the Italian Steakhouse. Don,t need steak 3 night and the branzino is not that good. Can't hold a candle to black grouper(although they tried to pass it off) On the last cruise on the Connie ate at the ocean liners 3 times. Best service and food of any cruise; Guess we have to stick to Florida departures. Anyway that is my thoughts Anne Maria. From Larry oaf Larry and Karen

Thought about the June 2017 cruise but too expensive when you include air fare. Plus did away with Murano with the Italian Steakhouse. Don,t need steak 3 night and the branzino is not that good. Can't hold a candle to black grouper(although they tried to pass it off) On the last cruise on the Connie ate at the ocean liners 3 times. Best service and food of any cruise; Guess we have to stick to Florida departures. Anyway that is my thoughts Anne Maria. From Larry oaf Larry and Karen

Actually the Tuscan Grill is an Italian steak house. You can enjoy many italian specialties including steak and seafood. The ship also has Qsine which is a really fun restaurant. However, I am not thrilled with Bistro on Five having sushi in lieu of the great salads, soups and crepes.

I am sailing in August on the Summit and the rates have dropped significantly for the sailing- we rebooked and were able to save!

Edited by Cruise a holic

This link gives some information as to what will be done during dry dock...scroll down a bit until you see Summit. DH and I are looking forward to sailing on the Summit in May for the first time. :)

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/767-cruise-ship-refurbishment-dry-dock-schedule

Edited by cruz4evr

This link gives some information as to what will be done during dry dock...scroll down a bit until you see Summit. DH and I are looking forward to sailing on the Summit in May for the first time. :)

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/767-cruise-ship-refurbishment-dry-dock-schedule

That is really good information. Thank you. I wonder how soon we will be able to hear from folks from the chartered cruise when she gets out of drydock. We can't wait to go on the 19th!

From Captain Kate's Instagram:

lynnelarosa@captainkatemccue - is the Bistro on Five converting to Sushi with this dry dock?

captainkatemccueHi @lynnelarosa ! Great question! Bistro on 5 will remain so until further notice.

From Captain Kate's Instagram:

lynnelarosa@captainkatemccue - is the Bistro on Five converting to Sushi with this dry dock?

captainkatemccueHi @lynnelarosa ! Great question! Bistro on 5 will remain so until further notice.

That was my question! (I'm lynnelarosa.) I think it's kind of fun that she actually replied to me. :)

Edited by llarosa

I haven't been on Celebrity since I was a kid roughly 20 years ago and it was only the once. I mostly remember the food being fantastic.

I always seem to lean back and forth between Royal and Norwegian, however with more thought I'm thinking it's time to try Celebrity again(I know they are part of RCCL). Although I love the other ships activities and attractions and like to try whats "new", it would be nice to try a different type of cruise that has a more relaxed "upper class" vibe for a change. Seeing that Summit is completing a drydock has definitely captured my attention. Especially being an older ship. This drydock is leading me to possibly book a 9night in either August or September.

The addition of a movie screen is a big winner for me. I love watching movies at night on the top decks + with daily trivia and some nightly entertainment, I'll be golden for activities.

Random question, but curious.....does Summit have any water features on board? I love water features. Does the Waterfall cafe have a "real" waterfall feature? :o

Edited by freezincruiser

We enjoy the Summit ans typically stay in a celebrity or sky suites. Both really needed makeovers. The furniture last year in our celebrity suite needed a new sleeper sofa and the furniture was badly chipped. The sky suites also needed major renovation I do not understand why all suites and cabins aren't upgraded with these enhancements.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We enjoy the Summit ans typically stay in a celebrity or sky suites. Both really needed makeovers. The furniture last year in our celebrity suite needed a new sleeper sofa and the furniture was badly chipped. The sky suites also needed major renovation I do not understand why all suites and cabins aren't upgraded with these enhancements.
If they don't , it would be bad business decision. There are a lo of new ships out there, and people ,despite loyalty to a cruise line , do not like paying top rates for worn out rooms. That is what stopped us from going on another Century cruise. Worn out appearing ship. If they are going to Solticize the ships do it right

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Kate is in Freeport Grand Bahamas now with Summit in dry dock. She is posting pictures of the dry dock on her Instagram account: captainkatemccue if anyone is interested.

Thanks, just looked at them. I wish I could see the finished product. Sailing on her 4/2.

Looks like they learned from Infinity where the terrace used fabrics for shade and privacy in the cabana like area in the back that it was too windy for fabric. It also looks like they added some wood panels on the side to block wind. Smart move.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled