Santorini - Hike from Fira to Oia

BostonBoatBoy

Will be on Santorini in late April with the Celebrity Constellation.

Planning on doing the hike from Fira to Oia.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has previously done the hike.

Easy to follow trail? Find starting point? Steepness? Comfort stations along the way? Any side turnoffs not to miss?

Looking for any thoughts from experienced hikers to help make trip the best.

Thanks in advance.

We did the hike two years ago. I downloaded a map as there is a tricky part in the beginning, From then on the trail is pretty straight forward. There is one steep section with some loose rock -- suggest you wear shoes with good tread. The main issue is there is no shade so be sure to wear a wicking shirt with sleeves, sun block and a brimmed hat. And do bring plenty of water. The views are amazing and when you reach Oia you will have earned your nice lunch at a cafe overlooking the water.

We also did the walk in May, 2014. We caught the cable car to the top and after exiting the top station walked out to the Caldera edge where everyone was takng photos. We then made our way uphill following the path with the Caldera on our left till we left the town. (Maybe not "the correct path") Once out of Firosteni the pathway was always fairly obvious ahead. -There are a couple of signs along the way - once out of Fira. Had lunch in Oia - hardest part was finding where to catch the bus back to Fira.

• 1 month later...

Glad you agree wonderful views into the caldera worth the effort.I seem to only recall a couple of sections with some elevation change -- one was more difficult than the other due to the loose gravel surface. But congrats on doing it - hope you treated yourself to a nice lunch.

The only tricky part is finding your way our of Fira -- from there the trail is obvious as it mostly hugs the edge of the cliff.

Ok Thanks - I havent decided yet which way to walk - Fira to Oia or Oia to Fira!

Did you take the bus back to Fira?

Ok Thanks - I havent decided yet which way to walk - Fira to Oia or Oia to Fira!

I'm debating about this as well. Considering taking the boat from the tender dock to Oia, and then hiking back to Fira. Most everything I've read describes walking in the opposite direction. :confused:

The trail will be easier to find coming out of Oia however I I would not do this hike in the mid day or early afternoon -- it was hot enough in the morning. But if your ship does not arrive until late in the day you might be able to do this.

The trail will be easier to find coming out of Oia however I I would not do this hike in the mid day or early afternoon -- it was hot enough in the morning. But if your ship does not arrive until late in the day you might be able to do this.

We arrive at 2pm. Not sure how long it will take us to tender, get the boat to Oia, and look around there, but I figure it will be mid- to late-afternoon by the time we start on the hike. Unfortunately we don't have the option of doing it early in the day.

Anyone else have thoughts on hiking FROM Oia TO Fira? Thanks!

I am following this thread too. We are getting to Santorini at 7am in August. We plan on getting as early a tender as possible, then taking the speedboat to Oia. Well wander around for a while then embark on the the hike back to FIra. If there is a long line, we will walk down with the donkey's. Awaiting comments from others.

I am following this thread too. We are getting to Santorini at 7am in August. We plan on getting as early a tender as possible, then taking the speedboat to Oia. Well wander around for a while then embark on the the hike back to FIra. If there is a long line, we will walk down with the donkey's. Awaiting comments from others.

Just keep in mind that the "speed boat" is privately operated and does not normally run until they have enough passengers (at least 10). If they do not get enough folks, they may not run at all (this happened to us last month). In that case, take the cable car (or donkeys) up to Fira and head to the bus station (about a 15 min walk). Keep in mind that the buses only go once per hour and leave about 10 min before the hour.

Hank

Just keep in mind that the "speed boat" is privately operated and does not normally run until they have enough passengers (at least 10). If they do not get enough folks, they may not run at all (this happened to us last month). In that case, take the cable car (or donkeys) up to Fira and head to the bus station (about a 15 min walk). Keep in mind that the buses only go once per hour and leave about 10 min before the hour.

Hank

Thanks for this info. I have been doing alot of research about doing Santorini on our own. It seems that August is the busy tourist season, perhaps busier than when you were there last month, hopefully we won't have the same issue you had. Our scheduled time in port is from 7AM to 6PM. Do you think this is more than enough time to accomplish touring both Oia and Fira without stressing about missing the ship.

Have you checked to see how many other ships are in port with you?

Yes I checked on the website cruisett.com and they say that the Windstar and Costa Deliziosa in addition to our ship Celebrity Reflection. However I have read in another thread that these websites may not be accurate and to check the port website. The Santorini port website only lists the current month of May.

Just wanted to report back as I am the original OP of this thread.

We were early enough in the season that ours was the only ship in port that day. Took the first tender off the ship and the first cable car of the morning up to Fira. We left Fira at 7:45am and arrived in Oia at 9:45am. So the hike took us 2 hours.

It was a sunny 70 degree morning with a nice sea breeze. The scenery and views are tremendous. You do not get the same views from taking the bus between towns, the bus route is further away from the ocean and the view is often blocked. The walk part of the journey takes you between/through/among some of the beautiful resorts/spas/restaurants. The hike part of the journey takes you along the mountainside and edge of the caldera. There is some change in elevation but nothing strenuous. Footing is not a problem at all. Definitely worth your time. An absolutely beautiful way to see the island.

Oia is a nice place to wonder and enjoy the Greek style. We took the local bus back to Fira for 1.80 euro each. The bus trip took about 25 minutes. Then we explored Fira.

We walked down the donkey path to the tender pier. It took 20 minutes to walk down.

For those asking about hiking from Oia to Fira, speaking only about the hike, there is no difference in my opinion, on which way to enjoy the hike. Just look to your right instead of the left to enjoy the beautiful ocean views.

Hope you all get to enjoy your travel as we did.