Golden Princess New Zealand 11th to 24th February 2016 - Complete Picture Review!

hopestotravelmore

dun7_zpsquchapm5.jpg

Princess offered the Nature’s Wonders and Otago Peninsula tour at $229.95 per adult. This excursion sounded really interesting. You would get to see penguins, seals and also get a ride on an 8-wheel drive Argo. It was for 4 hours. The tour would conclude with a brief city sights tour. Sounds good Hey? But I am sure I could do better and especially at that price. So the search began and this is what we came up with.

Awesome Tours http://awesometours.co.nz/

Shore Excursion~Natures Wonders & Larnach Castle 6HOURS

A 6 hour return trip travelling the low road to Taiaroa Head, stopping for a look at Otakou Marae on the way, while at Natures Wonders you take a 1 hour guided tour experiencing an exhilarating ride in an 8-wheel drive, all terrain Argo vehicle. Here, amidst truly spectacular scenery, are the worlds rarest penguins, Hoiho the ‘Yellow-Eyed’, the little Blue Penguins, the NZ Fur Seals and Cormorants (Shags) all living in their natural environment. After your argo & wild life tour you can sit back and take in the view while enjoying a bit of lunch (own expense).

After lunch you have the unique opportunity to discover Larnach Castle. Spectacular tower views and beautiful gardens complete this enjoyable award winning experience. We return to the city via the high road for the most picturesque scenery towards the Pacific Ocean on one side, the Otago harbour on the other and Dunedin City straight ahead.

In addition to your wildlife tour we take a look at Baldwin St (steepest street in the world), Otago University, and Dunedin Railway Station before returning you to your cruise ship.

The price was $185.00 NZ per person and included the entry price into Larnach Castle and Natures Wonders. Every time I emailed Awesome Tours they were very quick in getting back to me. It was a pleasure to work with Awesome Tours. Mark Dixon from Awesome Tours was our guide and he was wonderful. The whole experience with this company was awesome. Instead of a large coach of 40 people (like we would have had if we had booked through Princess), there was just James, me and Mark. There would have been 8 others but since Princess had changed the day we arrived in port we were on our own with Mark. Awesome Tours were happy to accommodate the change of dates. Thankyou Mark. So for our day in port we had our own private guide and vehicle. How cool was that?

Mark picked us up in front of the tent at the wharf at 9am. Since it was just us two, Mark decided to take us first to the Octagon, Dunedin city centre. Here we were given an hour for a coffee and walk around. Mark dropped us off in front of the Municipal Chambers.

The Octagon centre - so called because of its 8 sides has free Wi-Fi and you will find the I Site visitor centre here along with lots of cafes and shops. The day we visited there was also an arts and crafts market that Mark said always appears when there is a cruise ship in town. The Octagon was planned as the focal point of the city and is a popular gathering place. Mark suggested a coffee shop, and now I have forgotten its name but the coffee/hot chocolate was delicious.

The Maori’s first settled in Dunedin over four centuries ago. Settlers of the Free Church of Scotland discovered Dunedin in 1848, founding a settlement at the head of Otago Harbor. Population: 124,600 of which the student population is 25,000. It is New Zealand’s Oldest City (University city) and is nicknamed “Edinburgh of the south.”

dun10_zpsmjgbsnxc.jpg

The Municipal Chambers completed in 1880 and made of Oamaru stone.

dun10a_zpsbrou7ay1.jpg

St Pauls Cathedral 1910

After our hour in the city centre, we were back on the small van to visit New Zealand’s most photographed building - the Dunedin Train Station.

dun13_zpsicwyf5cb.jpg

This Victorian façade is nicknamed “Gingerbread Gorge” in honour of the designer, architect George Troup. The station was opened in 1906 and has a 37-m (120-ft) high square tower, three huge clock faces and a covered carriageway.

dun16_zps9kiqdfko.jpg

dun12_zpsbazkabsk.jpg

The platform is the arrival and departure point for visitors taking the Taieri Gorge Railway

dun15_zpsixzl7e6e.jpg

dun14_zpsh3af8uhr.jpg

(left) ticket window, Mosaic floor of almost 750,000 Royal Doulton porcelain tiles. Far right) form images of stream trains, rolling stock and the NZ Railway Logo.

Mark sat outside while James and I explored and took photos of the railway station. Being just the two of us, this didn’t take long. Then it was off to another landmark in Dunedin.

The steepest residential street in the world (according to the Guinness Book of World Records) – Baldwin Street.

dun17_zpsjcgsq5o3.jpg

The grade of Baldwin Street is 35 percent (or 19 degrees) at its steepest point.

dun11_zpskgmouiwu.jpg

Baldwinstreet_zpszw8xnsux.jpg

Above picture from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark informed us about a funny charity event that happens in July each year in Baldwin Street - Dunedin’s Jaffa Roll.

Since 2002 and part of the annual Cadbury Chocolate Carnival, around 50,000 Jaffas (orange coated chocolate sweet) are released from the top of Baldwin Street and begin their 15 second fame as they roll down the street. The first to the bottom is the winner. How do they know whose Jaffa is the victor you may ask. Mark said that they number each sweet and you buy a number. More than $410,000 has been raised for local charities.

Can you imagine what it must be like for a child watching all that yummy chocolate rolling past you? Mouth-watering fun I think!.

d18_zpsjmleyb1o.jpg

Photos source above from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffas#/media/File:Jaffas.jpg

http://www.nznewsuk.co.uk/

http://images.dunedinnz.com/photos/jaffa-racing-on-baldwin-st-dunedin.aspx

http://www.stuff.co.nz/

When I returned home, I looked up the Jaffa Roll and found out that there is another major event held in the steepest street in the world – the Baldwin Street Gutbuster - which is a race to the top of Baldwin Street and back down again. Boy! that would be an awful race.

I also found out that in March 2001, a 19-year-old university student was killed when she and another student attempted to travel down the street inside a wheelie bin (rubbish bin) The bin collided with a parked trailer, killing her instantly, and causing serious head injuries for the other student.

Then it was back into Mark’s van for more adventure. As we left the city, Mark told us about his family and what it is like living in a University City. I love hearing about the way others live. This is one of the reasons why I like the idea of booking a tour as you get to learn so much. If we hadn’t taken this tour with Mark we would have not known about the Jaffa Roll.

Our next stop was New Zealand’s only castle – Larnach Castle.

dun20_zps5k2htavj.jpg

Larnach Castle was built between 1871 and 1885 by financier, businessman and politician William J M Larnach for his beloved wife Eliza. Eliza died before it was finished. The castle is 14kms (9miles from Dunedin along the “high” road which was a stunning drive through rolling green treed hills.

Here is a picture of our transport parked in the carpark at the castle.

dun29_zpstydlw9qf.jpg

Once at the castle, Mark took us for a private tour of the main floor. He knew so much about this beautiful private home. In 1967 the Barker family brought the castle which was then derelict and spent many years and money restoring the castle. The rooms of the Castle were almost empty of furniture and Mrs Barker spent years searching for fixtures that would suit her home, even finding some that were a part of the home’s original furniture. The Barkers still use the castle as their private home.

dun21_zpskd0jko6t.jpg

He then let us loose for just over an hour to view the rest of the castle and the gardens. Mark told us to climb to the top of the battlements. He said that the view is worth the climb.

dun23_zpseffhnfon.jpg

Both James and I climbed the narrow steep spiral stone staircase to reach the top of the tower for some gorgeous views of the harbour and Dunedin.

dun18_zps0ui8aiar.jpg

dun17x_zpsl1egebxb.jpg

The Ballroom, separate from the main building was built for Larnach’s daughter Kate. The ballroom today is a perfect setting for weddings and parties. Mark told us that Larnach committed suicide in 1898 when he found out that his latest wife (who was pregnant) and his son from his first marriage where having an affair.

we would have got on like a house on fire i talk a lot too :-) and i love your review so keep it coming i am reminiscing about my cruise and seeing what you did to what i did the afternoon tea i came across one day i only found out the day before about it about 2 days before the end of my cruise

Hi Hawka

Thanks for the kind words. So what did you do in each port? I really enjoyed the afternoon teas and wanted to go again but James didnt like it. Should have left him on the pool deck and gone on my own. Next time I will.

Welcome to Princess Presentation in Wheelhouse i missed i dont know if i got the passport thing you talk of i got a gold pin later on when i found out about it the scottish one was awesome on my cruise too had a huge following by the end and yes standing room every night i got to see him in glimpses as i was always going to a show etc he did a show one night and it was a full house that's for sure the cruise director did a show too that was a full house [Tim Donovan i think his name was ill check my patters later] i saw some of the wine fountain missed the actual pouring of the wine into the glasses i think i had an appointment with a massage , the blue boat in your photo i was on last time i was in NZ 98 you stay the night on it its cool as

Would love to stay on that blue boat in the Sounds. It looks amazing.

[emoji13] it reminds me of one of my favourite kiwi jokes. I think as you guys are farmers and as my dad was a kiwi I can get away with it. It's a bit cheeky but only in that fun Aussie vs Kiwi rivalry sort of way! You will need to read the kiwi part with a suitable kiwi accent in your head!

An Aussie farmer was finishing his NZ holiday and was in a cab on the way to the airport. He passed by a paddock full of sheep and he noticed a Kiwi farmer was on the side of the roads 'getting cosy' with one of the sheep

He winds down the window and shouts out, 'Hey mate, in Australia we SHEAR our sheep!’

To which the Kiwi farmer retorts 'well here in NZ we don't SHARE our sheep, find your own'

Boom, Boom, Tish [emoji9][emoji15][emoji37]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:D:):p very fun. Read it to hubby and he laughed so much

Thanks for the pictures of the sounds. I just have a few quick questions. was it very chilly outside while you were taking them. I didn't know I had to take a jacket. And the other question is that if you miss a port do you go to another one or are you at sea for another day

Hi Bapaleg

Sorry for taking so long to answer your questions. Yes it can be cold at the Sounds as its down the bottom of new zealand. Make sure you take a waterproof and windproof jacket. We really needed ours. It was only chilly for the first couple of hours in the morning.

Unsure about what happens if you miss a port as we never missed any.

Hope this helps

Thanks for a good review... I am looking forward to read more.

We just got back from the cruise following yours (Feb 24 - March 8th) with the same itinerary in reverse.

As for your husband and his undying love for the Horizon Court... I feel your pain.

We were with friends and they loved the buffet when my wife and I preferred the dining room.

While the food in the buffet wasn't bad.... I like to be waited on AND feel like i was at a restaurant and NOT having to pay the bill! :)

Hi Radio boy

How was your cruise? and how was the weather?

I know what you mean. I loved the dining room. Loved the idea of being waited on and being treated like I had paid heaps to eat their. Can not understand why hubby loved the buffet. At least we went every second night to the dining room

Hello Maureen,

I have been enjoying your review and your sense of humor.

If we.met on a cruise, I think we could have some good chats as we seem to have husbands who are very similar.

My hubby also gets up early,prefers the Horizon Court over the MDR ,and I admit to watching episodes of The Love Boat while he snores blissfully on his side of the bed.

I know how life can get busy ( especially after a vacation ) ,but I hope you find the time to continue your review.

I would like to see photos of the New Zealand ports and read about your adventures.

Hi MJSailors

Thankyou for your kinds comments

Damn husbands! :D I didn't think there was anyone like him..hahaha. He just cant sleep in even on vacation.

Sorry I have taken so long to continue this review but I hope to post alot over the weekend. so stay tuned.

So glad that you have resumed posting.

The gardens on the grounds of the castle are lovely.

I also enjoyed the photos of the train station- Royal Doulton tiles on the floor of the terminal- that is something!

Being from NY, I know very little about New Zealand - your posts are giving me an education !

So glad that you have resumed posting.

The gardens on the grounds of the castle are lovely.

I also enjoyed the photos of the train station- Royal Doulton tiles on the floor of the terminal- that is something!

Being from NY, I know very little about New Zealand - your posts are giving me an education !

MJSailors

I would love to do one of those cruises that leave from NY but first I would love to explore your amazing city.

New Zealand is a stunning country