Touring the Queen Mary

I recently read that Carnival passengers can tour the Queen Mary for free before leaving on a cruise out of Long Beach. True? And if so, how do you go about it? Can I check in then leave to go see her? Can I board my ship, put my bags in our room, leave the ship to go tour as long as we make it back before sail away? How did you do it and what did you think?

Thanks for your help :)

We are sailing on the Imagination on Mar 20 and staying on the Queen Mary the night before. I can scope out your questions if you like and post answers when I'm back if that helps :) (I'm going to try to disconnect on the ship lol)

It's a hotel. We just walked on and walked the ship. We never took a tour.

But it was a while ago, even pre 9/11.

Those days are OVER. It should cost about $15 a head to walk on board. Not sure about any Carnival freebie deal. That $15 can be credited to any meals you take on board and, perhaps any tours you take. Check on the QM web site for details.

The days of seeing QM for free are long gone.

Otherwise, worth every penny to visit this classic ocean liner. Even better to stay on her as I have done. :)

Edited by loubetti

After this post first popped up I had flash backs to staying there a couple of times many years ago.

I pulled up the QM www site and WOW there are some really cool events going on over the next few months.

I am seriously considering the magic weekend in April or the scotch tasting event.

Here's a link to the info from Carnival on touring the Queen Mary:

http://www.queenmary.com/stay-aboard/nearby-attractions/long-beach-carnival-cruise-terminal/

The free tour includes the audio self-guided tour (which I have done and which is really good) and the historic exhibits. It does not include any special exhibits such as the current one on Princess Diana. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the 4-D Theatre or the Ghosts and Legends Tour. The free audio tour should take you about 2 hours to complete.

I toured the QM last year with my daughter (not in connection with a Carnival cruise) and we had a great day. We did the audio tour first and then went to the Princess Diana exhibit, the ghost tour and ended the day with an early dinner. Fun, fun, fun! We're sailing the Imagination in August and plan to do the free tour (even though we've done it before) upon the completion of the cruise.

While we didn't visit the Queen Mary as a part of a cruise, we did the audio tour and really enjoyed it. It took us about 2.5 hours to complete the whole tour. So much to see. We were in a bit of a rush, but if we had the time, we could have gone slower to catch all of the things to see and read along the way. Highly recommend.

I visited the Queen Mary in Dec 2015 while on a Princess Coastal cruise. I walked over early and arrived about 9:30am before the tour booth was open. Had no issues getting onboard up into the tour lobby area. When I saw a girl setting up in the ticket area I asked about options. She suggested no need to buy anything just wander around. (bet her boss loves that!) I did and saw quite a bit of the ship. Most of the areas I could not get into were closed only because they were shooting some sort of TV show aboard that day.

The engine room area was officially closed for some renovations in a nearby area but I followed another couple in and no one stopped us. Saw most of it with no problem. It was interesting to wander around, last time I had been there was 20+ years ago (Spruce Goose was there) and it was before I started cruising. It sure is different from modern cruise ships and I can sure see why some areas are considered haunted.

DougH,

We will be taking the Princess Coastal Cruise in April and are interested in touring the Queen Mary when we are in Long Beach.

Do we need to show any cruise passenger ID to see the Queen Mary without purchasing a tour ticket?

The free tour is for Carnival pax. Something to do before or after the cruise. Other cruise line pax would need to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The free tour is for Carnival pax. Something to do beforxe or after the cruise. Other cruise line pax would need to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It must have changed. Several years ago on a Princess coastal, we could do the do-it-yourself tour for free. Since we had taken the Mary many years ago on a TA, it was fun to see the first class facilities.

I recently read that Carnival passengers can tour the Queen Mary for free before leaving on a cruise out of Long Beach. True? And if so, how do you go about it? Can I check in then leave to go see her? Can I board my ship, put my bags in our room, leave the ship to go tour as long as we make it back before sail away? How did you do it and what did you think?

Thanks for your help :)

To be safe, why don't you call the Queen Mary and ask them the question? They should be able to give you the info you need.:)