How does "gratuities included" impact the staff?

Kruzin Karen

Don't be so concerned about the tip pool and how it is allocated.

If you enjoyed your cruise and received great service from specific crew members - be sure to give them some extra CASH

These people are away from home and are working extremely hard to ensure that we have a great vacation. The $20 bill that you won't miss will help to improve their lives.

The big difference is that when you go out to a restaurant at home you usually eat there for one night and never see the server again.

On a cruise ship we usually have the same server for the 10,15, 20 or more days and see him or her multiple times a day and develop somewhat of a personal relationship with them so we actually CARE that they get to keep their tips.

I have never asked a waiter in a land-based restaurant about their family or their future plans but it's a common conversation (at least for us) on a ship.

Amen! As someone who at least tries to be a conscientious traveler, I do actually really care what the crew goes through.

Don't be so concerned about the tip pool and how it is allocated.

If you enjoyed your cruise and received great service from specific crew members - be sure to give them some extra CASH

These people are away from home and are working extremely hard to ensure that we have a great vacation. The $20 bill that you won't miss will help to improve their lives.

Our military people are ALSO AWAY FROM HOME AND ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES to see that we have a great life.

I share equal concerns about their welfare along with the cruise crew. that doesn't mean that I need to stick my head in the sand and not care if they are being treated fairly.

If this subject bothers you so much, I suggest skipping this thread and open something you like. Some of us find the subject worth discussing.

Yep if you don't like the topic, ignore it and move on, not really that hard.

Our military people are ALSO AWAY FROM HOME AND ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES to see that we have a great life.

I share equal concerns about their welfare along with the cruise crew. that doesn't mean that I need to stick my head in the sand and not care if they are being treated fairly.

Wow, we have a clear winner of the False Equivalence Award.

Next time I cruise, in addition to looking after my waiter and Stewart, I'll make sure to send a tip to General Nicholson in Afghanistan. Happy now?

The big difference is that when you go out to a restaurant at home you usually eat there for one night and never see the server again.

On a cruise ship we usually have the same server for the 10,15, 20 or more days and see him or her multiple times a day and develop somewhat of a personal relationship with them so we actually CARE that they get to keep their tips.

The one thing you can be sure of is that if the crew personnel are not happy with their compensation (salary plus tipping pool share) they would not be working on the cruise ship.

The one thing you can be sure of is that if the crew personnel are not happy with their compensation (salary plus tipping pool share) they would not be working on the cruise ship.

For many of the crew though anything on the ship is way better than they can get at home.

Back on topic, I suspect that they will of course still recieve the gratuities it's just that you purchased this special instead of a special that was say $75 less but you paid gratuities. I think it all comes out in the wash.

Wow, we have a clear winner of the False Equivalence Award.

Next time I cruise, in addition to looking after my waiter and Stewart, I'll make sure to send a tip to General Nicholson in Afghanistan. Happy now?

Do you have anything to contribute to this discussion beside misplaced sarcasm ??