San Juan Feb 2017

maeormaenot

Looking at a Feb 2017 cruise out of San Juan on the Fascination. Very port heavy includes:

St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

After our latest experience on the Dream, a review I am in the process of writing, I need a positive experience to keep my husband cruising.

If you have never been to those ports they are probably my most fav. They are all a little different.

We have sailed from SJ twice and port stopped there once. Old SJ is awesome. You must go in a few days early and stay in OSJ. Go over to the Bacardi factory for the "tour" and walk around the forts.

We stayed in OSJ at the El Convento and it was very cool. However, that was many years ago so unless it's been updated I don't think I would try it again.

Looking at a Feb 2017 cruise out of San Juan on the Fascination. Very port heavy includes:

After our latest experience on the Dream, a review I am in the process of writing, I need a positive experience to keep my husband cruising.

If your husband didn't like the Dream, he may not like an older, smaller ship.

You didn't say why he didn't like the Dream and you didn't mention the itinerary you previously sailed on, but the Fascination is a definite downgrade from the Dream. Celebrity Summit also sails out of San Juan on a southern itinerary, maybe that line would fit your husband better?

I've stayed on all these islands for at least a week, and most about a month all together, and can find beauty in each one.

Edited by evandbob

Awesome ports, we looked at that cruise but we did not want to sail on the Fascination. My husband and Son wanted a ship with slides and a ropes course so we are on the Magic in Feb of 2017 doing the Western route.

The last 3 years we have sailed out of San Juan, it is one of my favorite ports. So much to see and do, I love all of the colors, the forts, the cobblestone streets, it is just a great port in my opinion. We have stayed twice at La Concha and LOVED it.. We just stayed at the Intercontinental about a month ago, it was nice but would most likely pick La Concha again.. We like the area that La Concha is in much better and they have a wonderful market in the park next to the hotel on Sunday's with food, plants, jewerly and much more.

In St Thomas I would head over to St Johns. It is another favorite of ours. We love Trunk Bay, so beautiful.

Edited by ILUVCRUIZN

This was my favorite itinerary yet. I had often wondered why people would want to repeat the same exact itinerary but this is one of those for me. Each port had so much to do that I'd like to go back to experience different things.

San Juan is a port in itself. Do a pre- or post-cruise stay to enjoy it.

Although, I had visited two of the ports before, I can't wait for the opportunity to do this one again.

If you cruise for the ports and excursions, you will love it! Very port intensive, I wished the sea day was towards the end instead of the beginning.

Hubbs didn't like the Dream because of the long lines and crowding. It seemed like we were always waiting in line for everything.

I'm thinking this may be a perk of the Fascination because it carries less people. We aren't water slide, ropes course people. Me, I'm a lay in the sun and relax type of girl. Hubbs is a see stuff, explorer type of guy. Opposites attract!

We have only done Western Caribbean. We love Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan. Belize and Jamaica...they were OK.

We want to venture outside of the Western Carribean, but cruise in February so Bahamas are out, too big of a chance of cooler weather.

Thank y'all for all the input!

Hubbs didn't like the Dream because of the long lines and crowding. It seemed like we were always waiting in line for everything

This might be indicative of the time of year you sailed. My husband and I were on the Dream the last week of October, and we never experienced long lines, and the only place it ever felt crowded was in the area where they take portraits on elegant night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

This might be indicative of the time of year you sailed. My husband and I were on the Dream the last week of October, and we never experienced long lines, and the only place it ever felt crowded was in the area where they take portraits on elegant night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Could be. We have only cruised in Feb as a family, I have done girl trip in July. Never have felt crowded before this cruise, but maybe it was the time of year.

I've done the southern route from San Juan twice already. I think it's sad to have the Fascination doing this route, quite a downgrade from Liberty, but in a way I do understand because it is so very port intensive, I felt like we barely had time to take in all that Liberty had to offer. Since you have only 1 sea day there just isn't as much time spent on the ship as there would be on other itineraries. I love love love these islands! I have reviews from both trips in my signature if you want to take a look :)

We are doing this itinerary on the Fascination in May. I too would have preferred a different ship but as said above, we only have one sea day. I have only been on two other cruises, one on a smaller, older ship and one on the Breeze, a larger newer ship. Our feelings about the Breeze were about the same as your husband. Although it was a beautiful ship and well, its a vacation so whats to complain about!! Our first cruise on the NCL Dawn was totally different and much more relaxing.

Im not a reviewing type person but would certainly entertain any questions you may have either before I go to find an answer or after we return!

I have done this itinerary twice already and have my third go-'round booked for October of this year. Both were different trips for different reasons. Some things on the second trip I did differently than the first, others I repeated (Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia!!). I live in Puerto Rico and have tons of things to do and see here and we have similar weather and landscape. But seeing, interacting and enjoying so many different cultures so close to home is a big plus for me. There are some awesome, recent reviews of the itinerary, pghsteelerfan, Dirkgun, djshagadelic, Valentine1, Trippingpara come to mind off the top of my head, and of course, my two reviews on my signature below. Read them, share with your hubby and convince him!!

I was reluctant about the Fascination after two cruises on Conquest-class ships but in the end, it's gonna be about the ports and not that much about the ship. A downgrade from the Brezee? Maybe.... but you get an upgraded itinerary.

Upcoming Sunshine cruise, 1st port is San Juan on a Sunday from 3 to 11pm. What is there to do in this time frame. I think the rum factory closes at 4PM. Might not be able to make this due to time constraints. Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks.

We love San Juan! We always stay an extra couple of days to explore. We have stayed at LaConcha on the beach and had a fantastic experience there. This last time we stayed at the Villa Herencia right in Old San Juan and had one of our favorite cruising experiences just enjoying the old city and visiting the forts. On Friday night we walked in the evening and took in local dances in the plaza's around town. It was a magical time in a beautiful city!

The convincing has begun!!!

Y'all are great. I'm really excited about this. Crossing my fingers he gives me an ok! The price of the cruise is good, even with an aft balcony. The airfare is my other concern. We live in Louisiana and its too far out to get accurate costs. But, gonna get him convinced to go then worry bout the air fare!!!

Dw and I have done this cruise 3 times. love it!

We have booked for the Feb.19th cruise. when are you going?

I have contacts in all the islands on this run.

so planning will be sooo easy this time. lol

started a roll call for it :D

Our cruising buddies are wanting the Feb 12, but DS bday is the 15th and he isn't going to be happy getting left at home and not cruising, much less mom and dad being gone on his bday. So I am looking at the 19th!

That's awesome that you have been 3 times, let's me know its a GOOD one!

We have done this itinerary, twice, within the past few years. First on Valor in May 2013 and we just did it again on Liberty in September 2015. Even though it's very port heavy, it is, by far, our favorite itinerary and I can't wait until we do it again.

Just my opinion, but I think it's the most scenic of the Caribbean itineraries that Carnival offers and also for the fact that there is so much to see and do in each of the ports that it never gets old. There is something for practically every interest (historic sights to just enjoying the beach or snorkeling) in every port. Even though the Fascination seems to be a downgrade from the previous ships doing the itinerary, the ship isn't the "star" of this cruise, the itinerary is. Our very first cruise was on Carnival's Festivale (no longer in service), a ship that was much smaller than Fascination, was on a very similar itinerary out of San Juan. Instead of St. Lucia & St. Kitts, we had stops in Dominica and Martiniuqe, while all others were the same. Believe it or not, out of all of our cruises, these were our favorites.

I also did reviews of our Valor and Liberty cruises from this itinerary and the links are in my signature.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Ok...everyone cross y'alls fingers. I now NEED to go on this itinerary!!!

I mean our 20th wedding anniversary is this summer...so...it would be a good thing to go on an amazing trip...no kids...mmmmhmmm...I've got a lot of convincing to do! ;)

I will be writing a review after my May 1st cruise

Upcoming Sunshine cruise, 1st port is San Juan on a Sunday from 3 to 11pm. What is there to do in this time frame. I think the rum factory closes at 4PM. Might not be able to make this due to time constraints. Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks.

You might want to try a BioBay kayak. Really a cool thing to do - seeing the bioluminescence on the water. There are two tours and you could probably catch the 5:30 one. Or you might want to check your ship - it might have an excursion.

http://www.ecoadventurespr.com/bio-bay-tour.html

maeormaenot - another huge vote for this itin. San Juan is awesome. And show hubbs this video for St. Maarten and Maho Beach. 'nuff said. :D

Ok...everyone cross y'alls fingers. I now NEED to go on this itinerary!!!

I mean our 20th wedding anniversary is this summer...so...it would be a good thing to go on an amazing trip...no kids...mmmmhmmm...I've got a lot of convincing to do! ;)

this is what you can tell someone is in store for you..

3 of the top 10 best rated beach's, @ St. Thomas/St. Marteen

DW and I have toured/snorkeled/parasailed, etc. at both.These are truly FUN islands, and why this will be our zillionth time back!

Snorkeling w turtles and above shipwrecks, off of a catamaran in crystal clear water, in Barbados.

If you can handle it, climbing the Gros Piton and Petit Piton Mountains in St. Lucia. The view is insane!.

St Kitts is a nice small quiet Island. Very nice people, and a good place to sit and rest on the beach, and recharge.

costs on all the islands (excursions/food/trinkets) are very cheap, and will not disappoint. oh yeah..LOTS of rum...warning you now..lol:D