NCL Canadian Exchange

hbboers

Just booked a cruise and was offered the D.SC. for 19.77 per day cdn.

That works out to 1.46 to the US dollar.. Based on 13.50 US

Just last week the rate was 1.35 on the Cruise next deposit I purchased and the D.SC was also at this rate

This seems odd since the dollar has gone up .

Just booked a cruise and was offered the D.SC. for 19.77 per day cdn.

That works out to 1.46 to the US dollar.. Based on 13.50 US

Just last week the rate was 1.35 on the Cruise next deposit I purchased and the D.SC was also at this rate

This seems odd since the dollar has gone up .

Don't know about NCL . Princess lowered their rate to 1.35 last week.

There was a post elsewhere on CC/NCL that NCL changes their rate every 3 months and it recently went up to the very high rate.

Now that the actual exchange rate has dropped significantly I wonder if NCL will decide that 3 months is too long a period when the exchange rate is so flexible. I cannot see many people booking anything in CAD with the rate from NCL is as it is now.

That may well be why NCL has the present offer to those paying in CAD; BUT the offer only applies to some cruises (and not ones that appeal to me!!).

Mike

Just received a phone call from NCL. They are offering a deal to Canadians.

1. 1/2 deposit

2. CAD at par with US$

Limited time offer he said. So if interested phone now.

Care of the fishhook; check that you can get any add-ons at a decent rate not 45c on the dollar.

The par offer is probably only for the actual cruise cost. Port fees and taxes will be at the 45c rate I bet. I also bet that OBC; Shorex; Dining and Drink Packages; etc will also be at the 45c rate.

Once you start with CAD you continue with CAD.

Caveat emptor.

Mike

Care of the fishhook; check that you can get any add-ons at a decent rate not 45c on the dollar.

The par offer is probably only for the actual cruise cost. Port fees and taxes will be at the 45c rate I bet. I also bet that OBC; Shorex; Dining and Drink Packages; etc will also be at the 45c rate.

Once you start with CAD you continue with CAD.

Caveat emptor.

Mike

I do stay with Canadian. Right now NCL offers 11% exchange if you book in CAD. You are right to say to question this offer to make sure everything is at par or at least at the 11% they have been offering.

I do stay with Canadian. Right now NCL offers 11% exchange if you book in CAD. You are right to say to question this offer to make sure everything is at par or at least at the 11% they have been offering.

When did you book and get 11 %? That's not the rate I got when I recently booked, it was 33%

When did you book and get 11 %? That's not the rate I got when I recently booked, it was 33%

There is a special (with NO perks) on at the moment for Canadians. It might pay you to talk to your TA to see if you can cancel & rebook. It is only for certain cruises though.

Mike

I booked this morning and priced out the second Canadian promo which is to book at NCL's Cdn rate less a 5% discount and combine with the free at sea offers, plus reduced deposit. The converted Cdn $ amount was at a rate of 1.408. I booked in US this time. That's too high of a rate to lock in and not to take a chance on a lower rate later. I bought US at the bank Friday at 1.367. Absolutely nothing they quoted me was at a rate of 1.11%.

Edited by goodml

There is a special (with NO perks) on at the moment for Canadians. It might pay you to talk to your TA to see if you can cancel & rebook. It is only for certain cruises though.

Mike

I did call my PCC but the Canadian at par deal is not available for my cruise in January on the getaway. I looked briefly online and it looks like it just for cruises out of New York.

I booked back last June. I know cruiselines change their rate periodically and I thought they might change rates in January but they didn't so I guess they changed on March 1st. That's too bad. Once I booked at that rate I could add on OBC at the same rate, pay gratuities, book shore excursions, etc. all at the same rate....whatever I didn't get as a promo.

By booking in US you are locked in to paying everything else you want in US$ but since our CAD is now going up daily maybe that will work out best.

Edited by Paddy41

I booked back last June. I know cruiselines change their rate periodically and I thought they might change rates in January but they didn't so I guess they changed on March 1st. That's too bad. Once I booked at that rate I could add on OBC at the same rate, pay gratuities, book shore excursions, etc. all at the same rate....whatever I didn't get as a promo.

By booking in US you are locked in to paying everything else you want in US$ but since our CAD is now going up daily maybe that will work out best.

Your post is VERY confusing. I understand that you booked last June and got a rate of .11 cents on the dollar. Rates did change at least once if not more after the time you booked (at always a higher rate, I believe) and for certain since prior to March 1st. So I believe you are quoting last year's rates and I don't believe anyone has gotten that rate this year (except for the current promo which says Canadians can pay at par (for some cruises) and that is only for the "Cruise" cost, not the taxes and port charges. Please clarify to help others out.

I am not absolutely sure of the actual figures but our first cruise booked last year was booked at 1.07, movement was then to 1.11; to 1.18; to 1.33 and finally to 1.45 where I think it is situated now. That is not very good for Canadians as the bank is selling at about 1.36 which is why NCL are trying to get business back with their latest offer.

I also believe that, in the past they have moved the rate every 3 months but may need to do it more often as the exchange rate is so flexible.

Mike

Your post is VERY confusing. I understand that you booked last June and got a rate of .11 cents on the dollar. Rates did change at least once if not more after the time you booked (at always a higher rate, I believe) and for certain since prior to March 1st. So I believe you are quoting last year's rates and I don't believe anyone has gotten that rate this year (except for the current promo which says Canadians can pay at par (for some cruises) and that is only for the "Cruise" cost, not the taxes and port charges. Please clarify to help others out.

You are right. My apologies. I was obviously quoting an old rate as I see another posting mentioning how much NCL has put it up. I was unaware of that because I had asked my TA about several other NCL cruises since I booked this one and each time she came back with a CAD price it did not seem that the rate was very different. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it was because her company had the cruises I was asking about as group bookings or whatever the right name is for when a travel agency pre-books a bunch of cabins.

Looking at the cruises NCL is offering Canadians at par they seem to be only ones that are leaving by fall and that this is their way of unloading unsold cabins.

Edited by Paddy41

I booked one year ago yesterday for my cruise in two weeks. My TA mentioned at the time about locking in at such-and-such exchange rate, but I didn't really pay attention. I was just happy to be booking.

Fast forward to this past week and I've been following this thread, and those similar, trying to determine if I should max out on purchased OBC to take advantage of my locked-in rate, or just take the hit on the cc at the end of the trip.

I purchased a "test" $100 OBC certificate to see how much would be charged on my credit card. The checkout process through MyNCL always listed $100 OBC as $100c but since OBC is in USD, I figured there would be a difference by the time my cc was charged.

I checked today...my cc was charged the $100 CAD for the $100 USD OBC. So... I went ahead and maxed out for each of my staterooms. Can't beat PAR for an exchange rate!!!:eek:

I booked one year ago yesterday for my cruise in two weeks. My TA mentioned at the time about locking in at such-and-such exchange rate, but I didn't really pay attention. I was just happy to be booking.

Fast forward to this past week and I've been following this thread, and those similar, trying to determine if I should max out on purchased OBC to take advantage of my locked-in rate, or just take the hit on the cc at the end of the trip.

I purchased a "test" $100 OBC certificate to see how much would be charged on my credit card. The checkout process through MyNCL always listed $100 OBC as $100c but since OBC is in USD, I figured there would be a difference by the time my cc was charged.

I checked today...my cc was charged the $100 CAD for the $100 USD OBC. So... I went ahead and maxed out for each of my staterooms. Can't beat PAR for an exchange rate!!!:eek:

Wonderful. Loved hearing that.