Baby splash zone on Harmony

I too was wondering this as well, and knew it would as Oasis and Allure both have baby splash zones. I found the renderings for the new "Splash Away Bay" design replacing the old H2O zone, may hint at it.

If you notice in the rendering, the children in the smaller circular pool area are much younger, toddlers. And in the other renderings which show the larger pool area of Splash Away Bay, the children look potty trained age and older. I took this as a hint, as to which zones will be for swim diapers and which will not. But that's just an observation, I'm sure there will be official reviews once it comes out.

splashawaybay_03.jpg

Okay, went back to my copy of the USPH VSP construction manual to double check the regulations. The infant only water facility must be "zero depth", including not being able to form puddles. It is a water spray area only. The water sprays up and when it comes down, it drains away immediately. So, the small round pool you mention will not be the infant splash area. It is also too close to the other pool, as the design of an infant only pool must restrict access from other water facilities.

A couple of other "markers" to identify the infant only area is the required sign, specifically allowing swim diapers, and outlining the rules for use, the provision of a changing table and a supply of swim diapers, and a crew member solely assigned to the splash area.

Okay, went back to my copy of the USPH VSP construction manual to double check the regulations. The infant only water facility must be "zero depth", including not being able to form puddles. It is a water spray area only. The water sprays up and when it comes down, it drains away immediately. So, the small round pool you mention will not be the infant splash area. It is also too close to the other pool, as the design of an infant only pool must restrict access from other water facilities.

A couple of other "markers" to identify the infant only area is the required sign, specifically allowing swim diapers, and outlining the rules for use, the provision of a changing table and a supply of swim diapers, and a crew member solely assigned to the splash area.

The baby splash zones currently on the Allure and Oasis, have standing water as shown in this pic, and are shielded from the remaining h2O zone with a similar railing and proximity as shown in the rendering as in the existing pic on Allure.

Allure9-24171.jpg

The baby splash zones currently on the Allure and Oasis, have standing water as shown in this pic, and are shielded from the remaining h2O zone with a similar railing and proximity as shown in the rendering as in the existing pic on Allure.

Interesting, in that I don't see anything in the VSP Construction Guidelines that would allow this to be an infant-only pool. However, it has passed USPH initial inspection at time of construction, and has obviously passed periodic inspection since. The granting of construction and operation of an infant-only splash area is through the application for and approval of a variance to the VSP, but I have never heard of a variance given for something that does not meet the guidelines as set forth in the VSP.

May be a silly question but the baby splash zone says "diapers only" does that mean a toddler that's potty trained can't use this splash zone or has to wear a swim type diaper :confused:

Interesting, in that I don't see anything in the VSP Construction Guidelines that would allow this to be an infant-only pool. However, it has passed USPH initial inspection at time of construction, and has obviously passed periodic inspection since. The granting of construction and operation of an infant-only splash area is through the application for and approval of a variance to the VSP, but I have never heard of a variance given for something that does not meet the guidelines as set forth in the VSP.

I wonder if since RCI doesn't allow children under 6 months of age, if this pool is not required to meet with an VSP "infant" category.

Ashland - my understanding is that they don't want children of any age going back and forth between the two areas as they don't want cross contamination from the swim diaper pool to the non swim diaper pool.

May be a silly question but the baby splash zone says "diapers only" does that mean a toddler that's potty trained can't use this splash zone or has to wear a swim type diaper :confused:

Actually, its not a silly question. This is why the construction guidelines want a "restriction" of access between the infant pool and the other pools, and why there is a separate water source for the infant pool from any other water facility, so there is no cross-contamination by one person carrying water on their body from one pool to another. But yes, the splash area (or pool obviously on Oasis class), is for those who are not potty-trained, only.

This is another reason I'm surprised that the infant pool on the Oasis class has standing water, since this induces parents to at least dangle their feet in the infant only pool, which can lead to subsequent cross-contamination. The construction guidelines also require that if the infant pool chlorination or UV sterilization systems fail that the system shut down immediately, which would not be the case with a pool with standing water. Very interesting. For my own education, I've contacted the USPH for a clarification about these pools.

Hoping to not disrupt or hijack your thread so sorry RCI cruisers!, but Chief, if you have time could you provide some input on this thread on the DCL board please?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2323948&page=4

This thread forward:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49347610&postcount=75

ex techie

I wonder if since RCI doesn't allow children under 6 months of age, if this pool is not required to meet with an VSP "infant" category.

Ashland - my understanding is that they don't want children of any age going back and forth between the two areas as they don't want cross contamination from the swim diaper pool to the non swim diaper pool.

So if my toddler grandchild who is potty trained (and doesn't wear a diaper) can (feels more comfortable using) use that splash zone if they aren't going back-n-forth?

USPH considers anyone not potty trained to be an "infant", it has nothing to do with age. The water "turn over" rate for these RWF's (recreational water facilities) is greater than other pools, and this is to ensure that the chlorination and UV sterilization systems treat every drop of water more quickly than a normal pool, and this is more easily done when there is no standing water in the pool. While a "turn over" rate is designed to theoretically filter/treat the entire volume of a pool in a given time, because of pool design, bather load, and other problems, there is no actual guarantee that every molecule of water has been through the treatment plant in the given time. The zero-depth feature greatly ensures that all the water is treated in a timely fashion. And I will have to change my wording, since the latest edition of the VSP refers to these as "baby only", no longer "infant only".

Edited by chengkp75

So if my toddler grandchild who is potty trained (and doesn't wear a diaper) can (feels more comfortable using) use that splash zone if they aren't going back-n-forth?

While it is a technical violation of VSP operations guidelines, I don't think anyone would have a complaint, especially if he/she were to be led to the pool deck showers to rinse off between pools.

While it is a technical violation of VSP operations guidelines, I don't think anyone would have a complaint, especially if he/she were to be led to the pool deck showers to rinse off between pools.

But let's face it , that's not going to happen.

People with these infants an toddlers have this "why should I" attitude most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But let's face it , that's not going to happen.

People with these infants an toddlers have this "why should I" attitude most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure Ashland was referring to an infant or toddler in this case, but whatever.

It's not just the parents with infants and toddlers that have a "why should I" attitude. Ever notice the showers near the pool? Those are not just to rinse the chlorine off after going in the pools, they are really there because you are supposed to shower before using the pools and hot tubs, both to reduce the biologic load the chlorination has to deal with (skin and dirt), but also to remove the oily sunscreen which will form an oil slick on the water and block the chlorine from reacting properly to sanitize the water. How many folks do you see using these showers before the pool?

Edited by chengkp75

As an update to this, I received an answer back from the USPH regarding this subject as follows:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

You are right in your interpretation of the guideline and requirement. A baby-only facility must function only with zero depth and no standing water. If you have time, could you be able to share or direct me to those photos? This kind of photos are very useful for training purposes.

Respectfully,

CDR Luis Rodríguez

CDC Vessel Sanitation Program

I forwarded the photo of the Oasis baby area posted above. It will be interesting to see the response.

Response from USPH:

"The issue you brought was interesting enough for me to look more into it. I learned that during some very recent conversations with RCI and one of the yards, they discussed that for safety reasons they needed the 50 mm. The main concerns were babies burning their feet on the hot pad, and slips/falls going from a wet surface to a dry surface. "

"I do not know if you are aware that we are in the process of revising the 2011 Vessel Sanitation Program Operations Manual and the 2011 Construction Guidelines. We will discuss this further in the upcoming months and we may end up accepting the 50 mm."

So, apparently, this the Oasis/Quantum class baby-only splash areas are "provisionally" accepted by the USPH, and may become the norm in the updated guidelines.

• 8 months later...

Swimmie diapers are not the issue. Pools on ships can't filter waste like land based pools can. If a child should have a BM in their swim diaper....while the solids will be contained, the WATER in a POOL will flow through the diaper, just like a teabag....it's not healthy for anyone else in that water. That's why they don't allow it.

A child who is not out of diapers will be quite happy splashing on the splash pad...and getting wet.

You folks are totally overthinking this situation!

Swimmie diapers are not the issue. Pools on ships can't filter waste like land based pools can. If a child should have a BM in their swim diaper....while the solids will be contained, the WATER in a POOL will flow through the diaper, just like a teabag....it's not healthy for anyone else in that water. That's why they don't allow it.

A child who is not out of diapers will be quite happy splashing on the splash pad...and getting wet.

You folks are totally overthinking this situation!

As usual it would help if you read the posts in the thread before posting. :rolleyes:

Nobody in this thread questioned why infants had to have their own splash pool.