Vegetarian food on Liberty

We are taking our first ever RCCL cruise next week on Liberty. I'm vegetarian and wondering about the food (rest of family is not). I am not vegan, I am ovo-lacto which means no meat (beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood). Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs) are ok. I took a peak at a few menus and the vegetarian options didn't look too promising. I know I'm going to be limited since I'm in the minority, and I'm used to that, but was hoping to have something other than a salad for lunch and pasta for dinner for 7 straight days.

So, for you vegetarians out there, can you fill me in on your experience? If you have any tips for meatless entrees in the MDR or Windjammer I'd appreciate it! What about Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos? Are there any meatless sandwiches or dishes on the menu, or something I could request that might not be on the menu but they could easily make?

I am closer to vegan than the OP, but I do have to make exceptions on a cruise ship, then hustle back to my preferred diet at home. Being vegetarian is easier. Honestly I have found the buffet the best place to find a wide variety of vegetarian foods. If in doubt ask questions of the chefs behind the counters. They don't always understand what you are asking, however.

The biggest hidden risk is in soups which often have a chicken or beef broth base. Always ask if you aren't sure, but sometimes the staff aren't really sure either.

I find the two best places in the Windjammer buffet to be the Asian and Indian selections. Sorrento's, the pizza place, does have vegetarian pizza.

We are taking our first ever RCCL cruise next week on Liberty. I'm vegetarian and wondering about the food (rest of family is not). I am not vegan, I am ovo-lacto which means no meat (beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood). Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs) are ok. I took a peak at a few menus and the vegetarian options didn't look too promising. I know I'm going to be limited since I'm in the minority, and I'm used to that, but was hoping to have something other than a salad for lunch and pasta for dinner for 7 straight days.

So, for you vegetarians out there, can you fill me in on your experience? If you have any tips for meatless entrees in the MDR or Windjammer I'd appreciate it! What about Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos? Are there any meatless sandwiches or dishes on the menu, or something I could request that might not be on the menu but they could easily make?

There are plenty of options.

I love the Indian food. Most of it is vegetarian. Also lots of salad options and hot vegetables on the buffet. I have not cruised RCCL in about 5 years but they used to make me a veggie burger in the Windjammer if I asked. It did take forever to get it though. Park Café usually has at least one veggie sandwich option.

There was always something to eat.

The dinner veggie options are just OK. Not much selection or originality, but you'll feel full. The meals tend toward pasta with lots of cheese, which is nice, but not every night. I have high cholesterol, so I try to avoid super cheesy meals, but sometimes there's not much else to choose from on the dinner menu.

As others have said, the Indian food is quite good. Definitely check the Park Cafe, Solarium Bistro, and Vitality Cafe during the day.

I'm a regular Royal Caribbean cruiser, and I love the ships. However, I recently took a cruise with my sisters on Princess, and the food choices were SO much better there. Princess is far and away better with their selections for vegetarians.

I am a lacto vegetarian. Simply said, nothing that ever had a face including eggs.

We eat primarily at the buffet where I can get many more options than the MDR. In the main dining room the choice is usually pasta and I am not a big fan of pasta. We have tried a week of MDR, I do like Indian food, but not for seven days.

Bless his heart, the last chef that we did a whole week in the MDR, every night the amount of food got bigger and bigger. By the last couple of nights there was at least three completely different Indian meals that were served to me, all at once each night.

They really do try their best to make you happy.

A vegetarian is certainly going to get plenty to eat on a cruise, but for me the buffet wins. I can get rice, put some marinara sauce on it, then add a bunch of vegetables and it is great!

I usually do a walk through and then get my meal while DH gets a table.

Edited by SPacificbound

We tend to request Indian food for MDR nights. The staff so far have been incredibly kind about this request.

If the fake-meat sweet&sour is still on the menu, though, that's really tasty. :)

"I am a lacto vegetarian. Simply said, nothing that ever had a face including eggs."

Seems "nothing that ever had a face plus eggs" would be better to describe your diet, because eggs aren't normally fertilized and therefore they didn't have faces. They tend to keep hens and roosters away from each other, so there's no chance of fertilization. (plus roosters are rather evil and vicious and if you start getting chicks, then the roosters don't differentiate in regards to "those are my daughters" as the females grow up to be hens and that's just gross...anyway, hens lay just fine without ever meeting a rooster...therefore, no faces)

I'm vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and I only cruise Royal because of how good they are with vegetarian food. I'm quite fussy and don't particularly like Indian food yet I still find food that I like most nights. When you board go check out the dining room and if the maitre d is there have a word with them. Tell them your vegetarian and a bit concerned about finding enough to eat and they'll help. Last cruise our normal waiter was absolutely rubbish and after I sent back a dish I didn't like and ordered something else the head waiter stepped in and told me that she would bring me the menu for the next day the night before and if there was nothing I liked on there I could have something made specially. This was a great help. You can even ask if something on the menu that wasn't veggie could be made that way. So one night pasta with a lemon sauce and shrimp was made for me instead with broccoli and so on. Plus you can always order extra veg with your meal. Appetizers are usually great - lots of amazing fruit soups and bisques on the menu (I always double check that they are suitable) - the Brie and Asparagus tart if they do it on your cruise I can't recommend enough - yum. Also had soft shell tortillas with grilled veggies one night which was really good. Also the linguini pomodoro is always on the menu (which is really good - if you like pasta) so that is always my fall back if there is nothing on the menu I like for the first night (it can even be made with a different pasta if you ask).

The MDR opens for lunch on sea days and do take advantage of that! They have a huge salad bar if you like that, a create your own pasta and a set menu that has one or two veggie options. Look out for the vegetable empanadas! They were amazing - the best dish I had the whole cruise! On The Liberty you'll also have Johnny Rockets which does great veggie burgers (the Soy Bocca burgers) and grilled cheese sandwiches and all the fries and onion rings you can eat. They also do a nice apple pie and sundaes. Eating here does incur a fee however, I don't know what the price is now - I'm sure someone can tell you. When I sailed last I believe it was 6.95 or thereabouts.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here (though someone may have said it while I was writing this) is to be careful with desserts. A lot of them contain gelatine. I know some veggies don't care about this but I do so I thought I'd mention it. They do some great sorbets/sherberts in fruit flavours which I loved, they do a good fruit crumble one night (usually) which doesn't contain gelatine and often they do some nice souffles. However, if gelatine is a concern for you ask the waiters or head waiter to find out if a dessert you are considering is made with it. A lot of desserts you wouldn't think would be made with gelatine are so that's just something to watch out for.

I'm sure you'll find lots to eat so don't worry too much and I hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by cloud_nine

My entire family is vegetarian, and we too eat diary.

As others have mentioned, good variety in Windjammer, especially Indian food!

Also they can make vegetarian burgers, you just have to request them with you Head Waiter on the first day in MDR. The following days, they consult with you and ask what you would like, and prepare it. I have also had those special meals served in Windjammer too.

We have requested Mexican, Indian and Italian foods and never been disappointed.

I'm also vegetarian (no meat, no seafood...but I do eat dairy products). I always find food to eat, especially at the Windjammer (buffet). They offer different things (and some same things) each day. I've had pasta, made myself veggie tacos, fajitas, veggie pot pie, etc. At the dining rooms, you can always ask for something that meet your needs...they will do everything to help you out. They are more than helpful! Enjoy!