First Time Crusier......last minute questions

esdoorn

KBCruiseLover, What do you mean by, "find the ship's coins"? I am not familiar with this. What have I been missing? :confused:

Quote from Carnival Funville- "The ship was blessed for safe travels for all crew and guests that will sail with her; a champagne bottle was broken and the ship was gifted with a very special coin. According to the shipyard staff there is a centuries old tradition that calls for every ship to carry a lucky coin. The coin is welded to the hull of the ship and has to happen before the ship can touch water."

There is a box on every ship that is accessible for the public to see.... welded to a wall or radar mast or somewhere on one of the upper decks. I didn't know about them during our early cruising but now that I know, I make sure I find them. Location is different depending on the class of ship.

Edited by KBCruiseLover
spell correct

My wife and I are taking our very first cruise ever on Carnival in two weeks. Our cruise leaves Miami and sails to Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau.

We have a couple of last minute questions that we are hoping someone could answer:

1) Do you pack your own beach towels or use Carnival towels on excursions. We have a Cabana booked at Margaritaville in Grand Turk and also on Half Moon Cay. We will also be spending the day at the Bristish Colonial Hilton in Nassau (but they provide towels).

No ,use your carnival towel, they will replace it each night

2) Is it worth packing a little medical kit like bandaids, advil, Imodium etc?

Yes, just in case. Medical stuff can be purchased but it is costly.

3) We have FTTF sailing out of Miami. We have our check-in time of 10:00am and I was wondering if there is a special place we go in the terminal or are terminal staff good in making sure you get to the right location?

I would show up at 11:30 and skip the waiting, since you have FTTF you dont have to worry about lining up. The staff will guide you, but it is important to make sure your porter knows that you have priority luggage. Your room will be made up so drop your carry on first.

(go to cucina de capitano for lunch, no one will be there)

4) Any tips or suggestions for first time cruisers?

Thank you!

1) Do you pack your own beach towels or use Carnival towels on excursions.

Use Carnivals. Not worth the hassle of washing your own beach towels. Also, you can exchange your Beach Towels when you return. They will either have a station when you return to exchange your towels, or go up to the Lido deck to that beach towel station. It keeps sand and unwanted critters out of your cabin.

Yes. keep it small. You also have what you want when you want it. Don't forget a bottle of sunburn lotion, just in case.

3) We have FTTF sailing out of Miami. We have our check-in time of 10:00am and I was wondering if there is a special place we go in the terminal or are terminal staff good in making sure you get to the right location?

Nope. There was a door to security at one end of the building, and another in the middle. For my cruise, the door in the middle were for the "priority" people. After Security, everyone goes to the same line, where there is a Carnival person directing you to the right check-in line.

Bring a stack of $1's, and a bunch of $5's. for tips and small purchases. Then you don't have to worry about exchanging currency (don't sweat the change for a $1 bill).

I have a credit card that does not tack on a Foreign Transaction Fee. Those are the best for larger purchases. You get a horrible exchange rate with Cash. In Cozumel, the store converted at 16 pesos to the USD whereas the spot exchange rate was 17.8 (17.62 after the 1% exchange rate fee that everyone charges). The worst credit cards charge a 3% fee, for a total of 4%, but that is still better than the 10% exchange rate the store offers.

Most of the events on the Fun times are really info-mercials. Learn to spot those. Go if you are interested.

I tipped the Cabin Steward $20 the first day, and gave him a written list of stuff I wanted (nothing unusual, just made sure he knew what was important to us). He was awesome, so I tipped him again when we left.

Take cab/transfers/etc., but don't drive yourself to the port. The port can be confusing (lack of obvious signage) for the first time cruiser.

We loved the Mixology Class at the Alchemy Bar. It is not an advertised event. If your ship has one, it is the best place for mixed drinks. You have to ask about the class. It tends to be on the last sea-day, and they tell their best customers about it. If you know about it, ask, and they will let you sign up. Ask about it 2 days before the last sea-day.

Although there are a lot of food options, don't go out of your way for any of it. I am a foodie. I made it a point to try everything that was free. Just eat what you like, but don't fee like you have to try Guy's Burgers, or anything. At the MDR, order two of everything. The portions are on the small side. Also, if you don't like something, you have an alternative. For the Dinner, I tended to order the Indian Vegetarian dish along with another entree. I did make it a point to order something I would not normally order: Frog Leggs, Ox Tongue, Rabbit, etc.

Edited by richmke

I always pack a mini first aid kit (ours is about the size of a wallet) for any trip. I pack OTC medicine too. The ship will have ibuprofen and some of the basics, but they are not cheap. And I am. So I bring my own.

Definitely remember your sunscreen, and I'd also bring something to soothe sunburn. It happens, and it's painful. Couldn't find any in the shops on the Valor when we were on there, so I just had to suffer.

I also brought Sea Bands on our cruise. I wasn't sure if either of us would get seasick, and a lot of people told me Sea Bands (kind of like sweat bands for your wrists with a little rock in them that use pressure points to calm sea sickness, rather than medication) would help. We didn't end up needing them, but for $10, I was glad I have them. Got them at Walgreens. They came in very handy a few months later when I was dealing with morning sickness.

Have a great time!

Pack a nightlight for the bathroom. I agree about the small bills, sunscreen, and first aid kit. I also pack a small sewing kit. Downy Wrinkle Releaser, and make sure to take extra eyeglasses. A summer weight sweater is nice. I also take small snacks for time on excursions -stuff like nuts or Luna Bars.

One thing we did that was great was a behind the scenes ship tour. You get to see where the crew eats and parties, the engine room, the bridge and much more. It's a little pricey but worth it. If you want to do this book it on the first day, it sells out.

Here are some of my tips:

--If your stateroom has a mini-fridge, you can ask the cabin Stewart to empty if you brought your own 12 pack of sodas onboard.

BRING A COUPLE MAGNETIC CLIPS! Most cabin walls are METAL and you can put these clips on the walls to organize all the "paper" you will accumulate during the cruise, yesterdays fun times, shore VIP cards, flyers, all that paper adds up and I like a easy way to organize it and get it out of my way.

--I love my over-the-door shoe organizer that I put over the bathroom door to hold all those odds and ends and keep things organized, underwater camera, pills, aloe, pre-workout, sunglasses, etc.

--I also got a hanging closet organizer as they never have enough "shelf" space for me.

--if you want "less" shelf space, the shelves in the closet are on hinges and will fold up and reveal another hanging rack.

--I don't like carnivals hangers so I bought a bunch of the thin ones covered in fuzzy stuff from the dollar store and take them with me.

--If you like "floating" in water then when you do HMC you should bring your own float and save the $15 charge (although if you rent a cabana I think they throw that in for free)

--Bring air freshener, it can get stuffy in the cabin unless you are in a balcony

--I bring a pop up hamper for dirty clothes, and halfway through I send my boxer briefs and workout clothes to the laundry - you will find a bag in the drawer that you can stuff full and get laundered for a flat fee of $15. TIP: if you roll your clothes you can fit a lot more in there. My last trip I got 9 boxer briefs, 9 pair of socks, 7 t shirts, 4 pairs of workout shorts and a pair of jeans. Might not sound like a lot, but these are SMALL bags and made of paper so they rip easily. when they retuned the clothes they were in TWO bags lol. But I only got charged $15. You still have to fill out the itemized list. THEY WASH IN HOT WATER AND DRY ON HIGH so don't send anything delicate. Many will tell you to use the washer/dryer on the ship. Ummm, no, I did not pay all this money to do laundry on vacation. The only reason I use the laundry anyway is that I work out every day and end up with sweaty clothes, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it at all. But if you do need clean clothes, pay and have the ship do it. This is your vacation.

--YES, stuff on board is expensive, that is why they charge so little to get you on the ship. It's kinda like paying $5 for popcorn at the movie theater. They have to make their money somehow. My advice is don't get too stressed about what they are charging for certain things. Relax! This is your vacation. if you want it, just get it, even if it's more than on land.

--In Grand Turk, you MUST walk up the beach to "Jack's Shack" to have their Jerk Chicken. I don't even like Jerk Chicken and this stuff is wonderful. They have free wifi there. They take credit cards. When we were there recently, the cruise director and his "Fun Squad" team were all there ... so when the CREW goes someplace, you KNOW its the best place to be. Food much cheaper than Margaritaville. Just get off the ship, go to the beach and turn LEFT and walk like 300 yards and you will see Jacks. They have a volleyball net, you can't miss it.

--If you want to do an excursion in Nassau, check out www viator dot com - they have great excursions and are cheaper than Carnival - check out other cruise excursion vendors too. We did a 3-stop snorkeling trip through "Stuarts Cove" and it was GREAT. you can book direct through Stuarts Cove too. They have several different types of excursions.

--Make sure you have lunch at the "Fish Fry" in Nassau - it's this strip of restaurants with conch fritters and "cracked lobster" and other stuff - we went to Oh Andros! and it was phenomenal. service at ALL of the restaurants is kinda slow, they are on island time, so expect that, but cracked lobster (friend lobster chunks) is awesome as are the conch fritters. I did research and downloaded menus and decided on Oh Andros! ...plus the shuttle driver said it was were the locals ate. I've also heard that Twin Brothers and Goldie's were good too - so look at the menus and pick one. YOU CAN WALK BACK, no need to take a cab. It's on a main road (perfectly safe) and you will pass a beach with great vistas of palm trees and the cruise ships in the distance (great photo op). Walking back will bring you to "Bay Street" which is the main shopping drag in Nassau. Make sure you check out the shirts in Piranha Joe's. They have a great line of shirts with stores in a lot of ports and they are VERY HIGH Quality - I have one that I got 10 years ago and I still have it! They have cool designs too. I get one every where I go.

--If you do drink soda you can bring back 12 cans (each) from Nassau or any port.

--You can get your passport stamped in Nassau right next to the cruise port, in the yellow building. Just tell the guard in the little building you want your passport stamped and he will tell you which room to go to. It's optional but cool to do.

--HMC is beautiful - best beach I've ever been to.

--Get a free deck of cards from Guest Services on the ship.

--Book your next cruise while on this one and you will get bonus OBC on the next cruise.

--If you like to shop, buy the $25 coupon book from the "ship Shopping Expert". Lots of free stuff !! These sell out so be sure to get it at the "port shopping talk"

--If you miss any of the talks they re-run them on tv in your room

--Sign up for facebook and get FB messanger and then both of you get the social media package and you can text back and forth if you are not together on the ship. You can also use messanger to text people from home. . . right from the middle of the ocean! I also did a video call too. What a bargain!

--You will never see these people again so act foolish and volunteer to go up on stage and do the hairy chest comp, take the thriller dance class, get to know your dinner companions, its all part of the cruise experience.

--Watch for the "QUEST" adult scavenger hunt, and if they do that, GO. It's fun and it's funny. TIP: get in a team with at least 4 people and two girls. Bring a couple extra bras and a condom with you. It will be an experience you remember forever. trust me. :)

--When deciding if you want early or late seating dinner, look and see what time you leave each port and use that as a guide. If you don't like your time, your table location, your table mates, see the Matre D and he will change it for you.

--Order multiple apps and entrees in the MDR. No one will bat and eyelash, trust me.

--Three words: Melting Chocolate Cake.

--Speaking of dessert .... the MCC is the only thing on the menu EVERY night, every other dessert changes. so I order the MCC every night, and then at least one or two of the others to try them. you will only see them ONCE.

--Do not under any circumstances, take the elevator, unless you have mobility issues. otherwise, take the stairs. Did I mention the Melting Chocolate Cake?

Wow, I gave you more than I thought. Those are just my tips. cruising is a "lifestyle" -- be frugal but not CHEAP. Do things you would not do at home, like snorkel with sharks or swim with Dolphins or sing karaoke or learn the dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Even if you don't want to learn the Thriller dance, go and watch other people learn it. Trust me, the Fun Squad will make it just as funny to WATCH as it is FUN to learn. :) ...above all else RELAX and HAVE FUN. If you are anything like me, you will get bitten by the cruise bug and you will start cruising often. I have 4 cruises booked between now and September 2017 ... and I just got off the Carnival Pride 3 weeks ago.

Hope some or all of this helped! You will find everyone on here has opinions of what 'tips' are "BEST" ... my advice is try them all and keep the ones that you think work for you. Again, cruising is a lifestyle and an "attitude"

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Pack a nightlight for the bathroom. I agree about the small bills, sunscreen, and first aid kit. I also pack a small sewing kit. Downy Wrinkle Releaser, and make sure to take extra eyeglasses. A summer weight sweater is nice. I also take small snacks for time on excursions -stuff like nuts or Luna Bars.

One thing we did that was great was a behind the scenes ship tour. You get to see where the crew eats and parties, the engine room, the bridge and much more. It's a little pricey but worth it. If you want to do this book it on the first day, it sells out.

We used to bring a nightlight, but someone suggested the tea lights that look like candles but are battery operated. I am going to try them this time. I agree, sewing kit is a must! And definitely a sweater. My first cruise I only brought a very thin windbreaker. In any inside venues I was FREEZING!! Was funny as I had color coordinated all my outfits and the windbreaker did not match anything. Believe me, I did not care. I have learned since to pack for comfort not vanity. We plan on trying the behind the scenes tour this time as have heard it is really good. I will have to check on Carnival's website to see if it can be purchased before the cruise, since it sells out quickly. :) Oh, and I also want to bring the wrinkle releaser this time. Have heard about it before, but, have never remembered to bring it.

Esdoorn! These are all great suggestions, I don't think I have any to add, and in fact, I rarely do any of these things, except bring a highlighter pen for the fun times. Even then, rarely use it. Bottom line, just go, enjoy and I hope Sensation is good to you. She was my first Carnival ship, got me hooked on Carnival cruises. Have fun.:)

By all means DO pack a medical kit. These items are ridiculously expensive on the ship. And younger ladies, remember to pack feminine supplies, even if you think you won't need them (traveling can make cycles can go haywire). The ship will have very limited selection and these items also are very expensive.

one thing to add........make sure the Stevedores (fancy,look at me, I know everything word for dock porter...lol) know you have FTTF and add a prority orange sticker to your bags......that will get them to your cabin as you board

one thing to add........make sure the Stevedores (fancy,look at me, I know everything word for dock porter...lol) know you have FTTF and add a prority orange sticker to your bags......that will get them to your cabin as you board

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! I was reading and had just put my glasses on....the blind 40's stink.....and saw that stinking bug on your signature and in my small phone screen! I forgot about this and it freaked me out!!!!!.........OP....one thing I can tell you other than the feminine items being key and a light sweater is to each take a water bottle....and an extra to fill with the juice for later....and something to hold your sign and sail card. If you can handle lanyards....then great....otherwise get the same hole put in them at GS and put them in one of those twirled up badge wrist holders. Makes life MUCH easier! Have a wonderful trip! You will soon be as crazy as the rest of us!!!!!

Funny, I was just thinking in the last week or so that I hadn't seen that bug lately. It fools me almost every time and I have seen it a lot! Guess we have been on different threads. Please don't get rid of it. Need a little comedy on here sometimes, and when 1st timers see it, like when I did, it is hysterical! I kept trying to brush it off, and was yelling to my husband,"Well, we just thought we got rid of our fruit fly infestation, one is on my screen." Thanks for the laugh!:D

My wife and I are taking our very first cruise ever on Carnival in two weeks. Our cruise leaves Miami and sails to Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau.

We have a couple of last minute questions that we are hoping someone could answer:

1) Do you pack your own beach towels or use Carnival towels on excursions. We have a Cabana booked at Margaritaville in Grand Turk and also on Half Moon Cay. We will also be spending the day at the Bristish Colonial Hilton in Nassau (but they provide towels).

Thank you!

Didn't read all the replies so not sure if someone answered this bit or not, but DON'T COUNT ON IT. We had FTTF in Miami. We asked one worker where to go and literally no response. She looked at us then looked away without saying anything. We asked again, she looked back at us, told us something we're like "just keep going" then looked away again. Okay.... found another person "Hi, we just got here, what do we do? Which line should we be in?" They told us: Just sit down. Erm, shouldn't we be in a line? Why are those guys in line and being helped by the people at computers? (they were checking in and getting sign and sail cards). "Just sit down." Yeah. Super helpful. Thanks. If I listened to them we probably wouldn't even have made it on til half the passengers were gone.

Didn't read all the replies so not sure if someone answered this bit or not, but DON'T COUNT ON IT. We had FTTF in Miami. We asked one worker where to go and literally no response. She looked at us then looked away without saying anything. We asked again, she looked back at us, told us something we're like "just keep going" then looked away again. Okay.... found another person "Hi, we just got here, what do we do? Which line should we be in?" They told us: Just sit down. Erm, shouldn't we be in a line? Why are those guys in line and being helped by the people at computers? (they were checking in and getting sign and sail cards). "Just sit down." Yeah. Super helpful. Thanks. If I listened to them we probably wouldn't even have made it on til half the passengers were gone.

Thanks for the information. We will try to be polite but determined to ensure we get where we should be to enjoy the benefits of the FTTF program which we have paid for.

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to freak out a little bit that we will be overwhelmed at the port trying to figure out where to go, since we are newbies!

Thanks for the information. We will try to be polite but determined to ensure we get where we should be to enjoy the benefits of the FTTF program which we have paid for.

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to freak out a little bit that we will be overwhelmed at the port trying to figure out where to go, since we are newbies!

No worries.

Just keep going. Security first then I think you go up stairs. Youre not in the right place until youre in the room with a lot of black seats and red and blue plastic-y things hanging down from the ceiling and you can see the ship through the back window. In that room are the Carnival check in lines. FTTF usually has it's own line right in the middle- the other lines zig zag left and right, FTTF is 1 line down the middle of the other 2- it sort of looks like dead space separating the 2 if no one is in the FTTF line. Check in there, then sit down til they call you :)

No worries.

Just keep going. Security first then I think you go up stairs. Youre not in the right place until youre in the room with a lot of black seats and red and blue plastic-y things hanging down from the ceiling and you can see the ship through the back window. In that room are the Carnival check in lines. FTTF usually has it's own line right in the middle- the other lines zig zag left and right, FTTF is 1 line down the middle of the other 2- it sort of looks like dead space separating the 2 if no one is in the FTTF line. Check in there, then sit down til they call you :)

Thanks!

What happens at check-in?

Sorry, but we have our boarding passes already, didn't know there was another step we needed to do at the terminal other than go through security.

Thanks!

What happens at check-in?

Sorry, but we have our boarding passes already, didn't know there was another step we needed to do at the terminal other than go through security.

Unlike the other op that said had not read all the posts I have been on it since the beginning. But, have forgotten 1/2 the posts. Having your boarding passes already, (and hope you waited to print until the FTTF is listed, if not just print again) does not mean you are done. You still have to check in and show ID, and get your sail and sign card. Don't stress out about all this. The petty things you have to go through to get aboard, will just be a faint memory, once you get your cruise on! Have fun!!!:D

They trade your boarding pass for your sign and sail card, as well as confirm the credit card you will use to cover the s&s card (or take your cash if you are doing a cash deposit). They also give you a map of the ship, take your picture to link to the s&s (you use the s&s to get back on the ship in ports and it pops up with your picture to confirm it's the right person), tell you your room number and dining time/location. Biggest part is getting your s&s card since that is your room key and what you use to pay for everything while on board the ship.

They trade your boarding pass for your sign and sail card, as well as confirm the credit card you will use to cover the s&s card (or take your cash if you are doing a cash deposit). They also give you a map of the ship, take your picture to link to the s&s (you use the s&s to get back on the ship in ports and it pops up with your picture to confirm it's the right person), tell you your room number and dining time/location. Biggest part is getting your s&s card since that is your room key and what you use to pay for everything while on board the ship.

Thank you......this is great!!

Thanks!!

We do have FTTF on our boarding passes and I understand when we drop our luggage off to the porter, that we are to tell them that we have FTTF and they will put some sort of sticker on our bags to ensure we get them as soon as possible.

Yup, they put a special luggage tag on. Nice and big and bright so it gets flagged and shows up to your room early. Usually within a couple hours of being on board.

Remember to keep your s&s card on you at all times, it is life aboard. You use it for ID (getting on and off the ship- but some ports you also need a government ID so remember that as well), room key, and credit card/charge card. Don't leave your cabin without it. I didn't catch what ship you are on, but if it's Breeze, you also use it to keep your lights on while in your room (there is a little card holder inside the door and the lights will not turn on without a card in the holder). We buy lanyards and clear card holders and wear ours around our neck so we aren't constantly digging it out of pockets/purses/wallets, etc. A lot of people get a hole punched in and connect directly to a lanyard but I prefer the card holder. Easily accessible is the key, though.

Yup, they put a special luggage tag on. Nice and big and bright so it gets flagged and shows up to your room early. Usually within a couple hours of being on board.

Remember to keep your s&s card on you at all times, it is life aboard. You use it for ID (getting on and off the ship- but some ports you also need a government ID so remember that as well), room key, and credit card/charge card. Don't leave your cabin without it. I didn't catch what ship you are on, but if it's Breeze, you also use it to keep your lights on while in your room (there is a little card holder inside the door and the lights will not turn on without a card in the holder). We buy lanyards and clear card holders and wear ours around our neck so we aren't constantly digging it out of pockets/purses/wallets, etc. A lot of people get a hole punched in and connect directly to a lanyard but I prefer the card holder. Easily accessible is the key, though.

As far as card for the lights in the stateroom, You can use any card for that. Even a business card. Or, at least that has been our experience.

A fairly new one to me is for safety reasons....your power strip needs to be without

surge protector.

Some items by Belkin that just have extra plugs have this surge protector and people don't know...Just be sure at your hardware store.

I thought I read recently they are no longer allowing 12 packs of soda at all ports...just the original one?? Anyone know? Just for budget planning...

Your beach plans at each place sound perfect.

Good replies on that Hilton too...have a blast...I am sure you will....great ideas here.