Dining options on the Sun

ohscrap

I'm booked on the NCL Sun for an Alaskan cruise this summer. I've never sailed NCL before and have questions about the specialty dining venues that were included in our fare. Apparently I need to make reservations before we sail if I want to make sure we get in, but I would like to see menus of the various restaurants beforehand so I can know where we might want to make our reservations. For instance, which restaurants offer lobster? Are the menus available online anywhere?

Also, we have the UBP - even though we are not big drinkers. It was a "free" perk, but we ended up getting charged the tax/gratuities on the package for the week. Since it covers soft drinks too, I guess we will keep it. Is Coca-Cola available, or do they serve Pepsi products?

Any help will be appreciated. Any other things I need to be aware of before sailing?

Thanks!

I'm booked on the NCL Sun for an Alaskan cruise this summer. I've never sailed NCL before and have questions about the specialty dining venues that were included in our fare.

Thanks!

The specialty dining venues aren't included in the fare. Did you get a dining package in addition to a beverage package as a promo? If so, then you would get a certain number of specialty dining meals included (depending on whether you got SDP or UDP)

We did get the dining package as a promo. Thanks for the info on LeBistro and Cagneys! I'll definitely make reservations for those two!

Any other suggestions or any tips you have for the Sun or the Alaskan cruise, I'd appreciate.

The Sun is a small ship (relatively). I don't think you need to reserve the restaurants ahead of time. Just call from your cabin the day before you want the reservation and be flexible about time. We had NO problem on the Sun, and even on a Pearl Alaska cruise last year when everyone had UDP, we could always get reservations by calling a day ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
We did get the dining package as a promo. Thanks for the info on LeBistro and Cagneys! I'll definitely make reservations for those two!

Any other suggestions or any tips you have for the Sun or the Alaskan cruise, I'd appreciate.

Here is the link to the Norwegian Sun Tips and Tidbits post. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317518

For Alaska specific information make sure to visit the Alaska forum!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I would suggest Le Bistro, Cagney's. Also try Moderno and La Cucina on the Sun they offer great oceanviews as people dine.

The great outdoors on deck 11 aft is a great place to grab a free bite and watch the scenery sail by.

Also for pictures of Alaska ports, check out the pictures in my signature line. It will give you an idea of all the ports except for Icy Straight Point.

HTH!

Ok so I am really confused about dining. Well I am confused about cruising but for right now we will deal with eating dinner. What exactly are my options? I made dinner reservation for the Main Dining Seven Seas and main Dining Four Seasons. Are those included in cruise price or do I have to pay extra to eat there?

We have the Unlimited drink package and don't need expensive dinners.

Thanks!

Ok so I am really confused about dining. Well I am confused about cruising but for right now we will deal with eating dinner. What exactly are my options? I made dinner reservation for the Main Dining Seven Seas and main Dining Four Seasons. Are those included in cruise price or do I have to pay extra to eat there?

We have the Unlimited drink package and don't need expensive dinners.

Thanks!

Those are included in your cruise fare.

Oh good! I was worried that I made reservation and would have to pay for dinners.

As Crayola1932 said, really, you don't need to make reservations before you are on board. In fact, you may just be able to walk up and eat whenever you want...that's freestyle cruising. There are boards usually by the elevators that let you know what restaurants have seating available and which ones have waiting. Whenever we have done anything prior to boarding, we have always had to change it once on board because, as it turned out, that was not really a good time as there was something else we wanted to do at that time.

Don't stress about it. Don't be confused. You will get a Freestyle Daily every evening in your cabin and you can plan your next day. You can make reservations any time. I know some people like to plan out every single second before they are even on board...to me that defeats the purpose of a vacation. We just go with the flow and never have a problem.

The upcharge and comp restaurants are all listed on the website.

• 2 weeks later...
It makes me happy to plan. And it makes happy to know that I don't have to make reservations. Thanks for all the help.

I too am a planner but we NEVER make reservations ahead of time unless it is for a very special occasion when we know we want to eat at a particular time in a particular restaurant - anniversary or birthday or large group from CruiseCritic.

We typically stop by and look at the menus posted outside each of the main dining rooms sometime during the day and decide if we want to eat there for free (actually prepaid:rolleyes:) or if we want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. In either case, we decide when to eat when we get hungry or otherwise ready to eat. For example, we usually stop in the Friends of Dorthy/LGBT get together and have a cocktail, if we are having an interesting conversation we might be there for more than one...or we suggest that whoever we are chatting with join us for dinner. If we are not enjoying the particular company or they aren't enjoying ours, then DH and I head off to the nearest video screen and see which if the main dining rooms has the shortest wait if we are going to the MDR , or which of the specialties that we want to try has the shortest wait and then go there. IF you have to wait, they give you one of those light up buzzy things and we usually head to the closest comfortable spot (bar or outdoor deck) to wait.

While I loved the addition of the video monitors to Freestyle Cruising, I hate the emphasis that Norwegian has added to making reservations.....not having to plan way ahead was what first made us fall in love with what was then NCL. After a long day ashore OR a late lunch, we sometimes don't want to eat until late....or prefer to just go to the Garden Café and take our meal or snack to the Great Outdoors.

Have a great cruise!