Civitavecchia port to train station

royal65

I understand the route from the port to the train station has been changed. Are there directions anywhere I could read to help me decide whether I should train to Rome or hire a cab? Also, are the shuttle and bus difficult to manage with a regular 45 pound suitcase and a carry-on? (e.g. low hung steps like airport shuttles or the higher steps more typical of buses?) thanx

The train is no fun with luggage.

Hundreds of trippers from ships on a port-of-call visit use the train for their day-trip to Rome so it gets very crowded.

Best to go ridiculously early if possible or, if you have no urgent business like a flight, take your time & wait until after the herd has gone.

Or I think the express trains have reserved seating.

To access the platform for Rome at Civi station you have to go down a flight of stairs, under the tracks, & up the next flight of stairs - no elevator.

We've done it with luggage, and being cheapskates we'd do it again. ;)

JB :)

Or I think the express trains have reserved seating.
The IC and Frecce trains are reserved seating, unfortunately there are only two each morning between Civitavecchia and Rome. The first is an IC that only goes to Ostiense, not Termini. The other, a Frecce, isn't until 11:18, hours after most ships force the last passengers to disembark.

The Express trains do have first-class cars, but not reserved. Are those cars any less crowded?
These are not express trains, they are "veloce" (fast). They make seven stops rather than the twelve stops made by the regular regionals. The Veloce trains get to Rome about 15 minutes faster than the other regionals.

The entire train is crowded - there is very little policing of who is in which cars, at least in my experience - so I don't think the extra two Euro buys you much in the way of comfort or convenience. Of course, it is only two Euros and you might get lucky and be on the train with a conductor who does care - I think it's worth the financial risk for the potential benefit.

Edited by euro cruiser

These are not express trains, they are "veloce" (fast). They make seven stops rather than the twelve stops made by the regular regionals. The Veloce trains get to Rome about 15 minutes faster than the other regionals.

I thought that is what express train meant (a train that makes fewer stops and arrives faster).

The entire train is crowded - there is very little policing of who is in which cars, at least in my experience - so I don't think the extra two Euro buys you much in the way of comfort or convenience. Of course, it is only two Euros and you might get lucky and be on the train with a conductor who does care - I think it's worth the financial risk for the potential benefit.

OK, thanks. And if you buy the first-class tickets, but end up on a regular regional train with only 2nd class, the tickets are still valid, correct?

Yes, they would be good on any regional train on that route. I was specific about the wording only because there is often confusion about the meanings when in come to trains. In some places an express means only the main stops, while this train makes more stops than just "main" stations.

Edited by euro cruiser

So I have a question. We would like to book our train prior to leaving home to go from the port after our cruise to Florence. I looked on line and we are looking at the 9:43 am to Termini and then have to transfer to Florence. I know we would have to ask to disembark at a certain time to reach the train station, but wanted to know how much time should I allow to reach train station. Also if anyone could give me instructions as to how to get there.

Thanks

The train station in Civitavecchia, located at the end of Viale della Repubblica, is one mile from the new port exit on Via Turco. A free port shuttle bus will take you to a parking lot just off Via Turco, from there you can either walk to the station or take a local bus.

Remember to allow extra time to walk from the auxiliary tracks at Termini to the main track head, about three blocks.

I would personally want an hour to get from the ship to the station at Civitavecchia (unless you get a cab but that's not easy to do for such a short ride) as you have no control over how long it takes to fill the shuttle bus, or how long you wait at for the public bus.

I would personally want an hour to get from the ship to the station at Civitavecchia (unless you get a cab but that's not easy to do for such a short ride) as you have no control over how long it takes to fill the shuttle bus, or how long you wait at for the public bus.

We are thinking of reserving seats on the IC to Ostiense, leaving Civitavecchia at 9.18, arr Rome 10.18, and leaving Rome 16.07, arriving Civitavecchia 16.45. We just want to see the Colosseum and surrounding area so that should give us enough time in Rome. However, with our ship's departure scheduled for 19.00, my question is, are we cutting it too fine aiming to get back to Civitavecchia at 16.45? If there was a problem with the trains would our IC ticket be valid on other trains? And would it be better to walk the distance from the Civitavecchia train station back to the ship, or is it walkable do you think? Would welcome any advice or insights that anyone may have please. thanks.

We are thinking of reserving seats on the IC to Ostiense, leaving Civitavecchia at 9.18, arr Rome 10.18, and leaving Rome 16.07, arriving Civitavecchia 16.45. We just want to see the Colosseum and surrounding area so that should give us enough time in Rome. However, with our ship's departure scheduled for 19.00, my question is, are we cutting it too fine aiming to get back to Civitavecchia at 16.45? If there was a problem with the trains would our IC ticket be valid on other trains? And would it be better to walk the distance from the Civitavecchia train station back to the ship, or is it walkable do you think? Would welcome any advice or insights that anyone may have please. thanks.

First, I don't think you are cutting it too fine with a 7:00 pm departure. There are later trains that could be a "fall back" option for you.

Your IC ticket will not be valid for a regional (Regionale) train, but the small cost of the tickets for those trains should not give you pause for consideration should you need to take one.

You could walk from the station in Civitavecchia back to the new port entrance, which I believe has been posted at just under a mile. But I think you HAVE to take the port bus (free) to your ship from there.

If you are going just to look at the Colosseum you should have plenty of time. Your ticket is also good for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, if you find you have some additional time. (Can't recall if you've been to Rome previously, I'm thinking that you said you had....) There are other things very near also if you want ideas.

Thanks euro cruiser. I was thinking to a lot one hour. I've noticed you and cruiser mom said free port shuttle but I had seen a previous threat about 12 euro for bus? Do you think it wise to pre order train ticket as we are heading to Florence after cruise?

Do you think it wise to pre order train ticket as we are heading to Florence after cruise?
There are only three reasons I can think of why one would purchase a train ticket in advance:

• There is a real chance of the train selling out
  • You want to save money
  • You cannot relax and enjoy your vacation unless all of the segments and movements are tied down

The train selling out is not an issue in this situation, as there are at least two trains per hour between Rome and Florence.

You could save money; however, you have no control over the time the ship actually arrives in port and is cleared for disembarking. Odds are everything will go as usual but if they don't and as a result you miss your train, the super-saver fares are non-changeable and non-refundable. If this happens you'll have to pay full fare for a last minute ticket in addition to whatever you paid for the no longer usable ticket. This is one situation where only you can assess your sense of risk and act accordingly.

As for the final point, knowing yourself is as important as anything when it comes to travel. If you know this about yourself, then your answer is clear.

Edited by euro cruiser

Arriving back in Civi at 4:45p for a 7pm departure is PLENTY of time. The walk from the train station is less than 30 minutes, and the buses are waiting there to take you to your ship. As someone has said, if there is a problem with the train, the local trains are under 10 Euro's to Civi.

We have walked from the train station to the ship quite a few times, some with luggage (wheel type), and some without. Easy walk, even to the new port entrance. Have a good time in Roma.

Edited by chloe kitty

Assuming I can get a cab, how much would the fare be to the station?

Assuming I can get a cab, how much would the fare be to the station?

I think the chances of getting a cab to take you to the station are very slim, I would not count on that happening at all. Under normal circumstances, given the distance I think the fare would be under 10E, but again I have never heard of anyone being successful in this

I think the chances of getting a cab to take you to the station are very slim, I would not count on that happening at all. Under normal circumstances, given the distance I think the fare would be under 10E, but again I have never heard of anyone being successful in this

Thanks. What time do the city buses to the station start running?

Edited by badatz

• 1 month later...

We are taking the train after the cruise, and heading to Venice after we change trains in Rome. No rush, but what times would people recommend disembarking in Citiavecchia to catch a train? Basically all trains leave on the hour. Of course arriving in Venice at a decent time is better than waiting around on the ship.

If one wants to take the cheap option of getting from the port to the airport :

1. Free shuttle from ship to port gates

2. Bus from Ports gates to Station 2 Euros

3. Pre purchased train ticket on line to Terminii station 7 Euros

4 Bus outside Terminii station to airport 4 Euros

So for 13 euros one can get from the ship to the airport with little hassle

If one wants to take the cheap option of getting from the port to the airport :

1. Free shuttle from ship to port gates

2. Bus from Ports gates to Station 2 Euros

3. Pre purchased train ticket on line to Terminii station 7 Euros

4 Bus outside Terminii station to airport 4 Euros

So for 13 euros one can get from the ship to the airport with little hassle

Why would you go to Termini to take the bus when, for the same 11 Euro, you can simply go the entire way by train? It's much faster to simply take the regional train to Trastevere and change there for the regional train to the airport.

You lose time, both the additional 15+ minutes it takes to get from Trastevere to Termini, plus the transition time to the bus, as well as the slower travel time of a bus vs. a train. It's also more of a hassle as you neglected to mention the three block walk from the regional track head at Termini to the bus stop.

Edited by euro cruiser