Aft Corner Cabins

psheik

We are planning a cruise on Navigator of the Seas. We love staying aft but have never had an aft "corner" cabin. The corner balconies appear to be larger. Which deck would have the best corners?

Deck10 1688/1388

Deck 9 9690/9390

Deck 8 8690/8390

Deck 7 7688/7388

Cabins 7688 and 7388 appear to have an extra adjoining corner balcony area. Is this the case? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

We’re booked in 9390 on Mariner for 2/07. I thought about switching to 9392, but after reading some of the comments on here and talking with DH, we’re going to stick with what we have. Be aware that from deck 9 down, the corner rooms do not have sliding doors, but a swing out door. Deck 9 has a large porthole adjoining the swinging door, but I don’t think the lower decks do. The lack of slider was what I was hung up on, and it’s only because this is our first balcony, and in my head, I always “pictured” the balconies with a slider. Crazy, I know, but I couldn’t get off of it. We looked at the pics that were posted earlier in this thread, and decided that the pros of that room far outweighed the cons.

I do know that the corner balconies on deck 9 are highly coveted. Not speaking from the experience of having any of the other rooms, I’d say go for one of those.

We have sailed in cabins 9390 & 7688 on the Mariner. Both cabins are *great*!! We were in cabin 7688 last week on the Mariner...if I had to choose between these cabins, I would probably pick 7688 simply because the balcony is much larger. (however, both are much bigger than traditional balconies) If it matters, 7688 did have a sliding glass door, 9390 did not. (doors don't matter much to me, but I know this is important to some people)

So far we have only cruised in aft corner cabins....I can't imagine cruising any other way...they are THE best!

I haven't had a chance to upload my pics from last week yet (hope to do that soon) but I do have pics of cabin 9390 if you want to check them out:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kristineth

We're just off the Voyager a week ago and had cabin 9690. We loved the cabin and balcony with great views straight down of the water and the wake view and sounds. It's a larger than normal balcony but not quite as large as on deck 8 and 7. On the voyager 8690 had a regular door and no window, 9690 had regualr door and HUGE round window - you could sit in it. If 7688/7388 has slider or window like I think someone mentioned that would be a good pick too w/largest balcony and definite shade. I'd be content with corner cabins on decks 7-10, probably not on 6 tho.

Are the cabins themselves different at all or just the balconies?

Cabins #1388 & #1688 on Deck 10 are configured different from the corner afts on Decks 6-9. They are shorter but wider and give the feeling of having more room because of the layout. The corner afts on Decks 6-9 are more the traditional long and narrow layout. Look at the additional pictures of #1688 that Bonnie Voyageur has posted http://community.webshots.com/album/42736707mJbKZS

You can compare those to the ones of #9390 that kristineth has posted at http://community.webshots.com/album/246460884iYHRRB

We had 7388 on the Explorer and have booked 7388 on the Navigator in April. It is a huge corner aft balcony with room for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, a table and still room to walk around but yes, it does have an obstructed view. Now the upside is there is both rear and port views as well as sunny and shady areas which was nice when we actually had to much sun but still wanted to lounge outside.

We had a corner junior suite 1100 on the Jewel and we loved the room and the balcony (although smaller then 7388). The down side was it lacked a side view and was in full sun and we actually had to sit inside when it got the direct afternoon sun.

We also have an aft cabin for our Enchantment cruise in January - couldn't get the corner so we are going to try a middle aft. I love the aft cabins - once you go aft you'll find it hard to accept another location.

We booked awhile back and booked 7688, because of the high rating that posters gave it , I see everyone talking about 7388 , are these two the same ?

csbenedict, I see the difference in the cabins 1688, against 7688 and others. First time I have saw a E1 that is not the same lay-out. It is an E1 isnt it?

I have got alot of pics of 7688 and it has a very large balcony , we have our daughter and son-in-law in a corner inside, right across the corner. We will all be spending alot of time on our balcony and choose it for this reason. Do youguys think this was a good cabin choice.

We have always had aft balconies and love them, and I say if it aint broke dont fix it.

To add to a possible list of cons, I have not been on this ship but another corner aft and found employees would gather all hours of the day & night to loudly talk and smoke in the stairwell.

I have to stop being nice and get mean and start telling mgmt :mad:

But the aft view was so worth it

We booked awhile back and booked 7688, because of the high rating that posters gave it , I see everyone talking about 7388 , are these two the same ?

csbenedict, I see the difference in the cabins 1688, against 7688 and others. First time I have saw a E1 that is not the same lay-out. It is an E1 isnt it?

Cabins #1388 & 1688 are Cat. D1 and the corner afts on Deck 6-9 are Cat. E1. So it would possibly cost a little more to get the corner afts on Deck 10. And yes #7388 & 7688 are the same--just on opposite corners!!

How do you lucky people get to book a corner aft. We booked our Alaska cruise on Radiance for July 2006 14 months before trip - as soon as rates published and ALL were gone. Do you think travel agents book and hold for

their customers??? I have used same great TA for 8 years and this is first

time she could not get what I asked. She just said demand for Alaska high - this was a Jr. Suite and we could only go on one specific date. She has it

waitlisted for us (Diamond) in case someone backs out. Any advice appreciated.

Just returned last week on the Navigator. We had 8692 which is one cabin in from the corner - actually preferred it to the corner. It is a bigger balcony.

Previously had 7152 on the Rhapsody which is a true corner, wraparound. The Navigator corner ends, does not wrap around.

On that class of ship would probably not want to go any lower than 8th deck - view is somewhat obstructed by beams - we did not notice it on the 8th deck so much, but I would think it would be a factor on 7 and below. The balconies, however, are huge.

Very quiet back there - love those aft balconies!

Have to throw my two cents in on the corner aft balconies. We were in 7688 on the Mariner this past May. The balcony was fantastic! We were able to enjoy both the sun and shade. The "obstruction" in view was just the beams. Looking to the aft, you could not look down directly into the water but you certainly could through the large port hole on the port side. Loved having both the aft and port views from the balcony. The fact that you only pay for an E1 for this room is an added bonus. Here is a link to our pictures of the cabin/balcony.

http://community.webshots.com/album/345112326SOyblu

How do you lucky people get to book a corner aft. We booked our Alaska cruise on Radiance for July 2006 14 months before trip - as soon as rates published and ALL were gone. Do you think travel agents book and hold for

time she could not get what I asked. She just said demand for Alaska high - this was a Jr. Suite and we could only go on one specific date. She has it

No Diamond here, just Gold, w/ only one RCI cruise completed so far. Booked JS 1560 on Radiance, which is on the side of the hump, looked like a bonus sized balcony, about 4 months in advance of embarkation. Kept checking, was thinking I wanted to change to a GS, and sent email to TA when I saw GS 1050 become available (it had not been, must have been a cxl'ed ressie)...and then an hour later saw 1100, corner aft GS, and contacted TA again and said lets grab 1100.

Being poor helps! :D Our cruise isn’t till 2/07, but we booked 8/05. We need to save for a long time to be able to go, so we had plenty of advance notice.

when we booked on Freedom of the Seas, we called and asked. The cabins don't seem to show up on the rooms offered. I called each week and they finally showed up. It was interesting because I had called the day before and the day I actually got the croner aft, I had a choice of three. I like to book my own travel; I think I would drive a TA nuts with amount of times I would expect them to keep back and checking to see if my dream cabin had opened up.

You should also have them check around the time the final payments are due (generally 70 days out) because that's the last chance folks have to cancel and get all their money back.

So my husband & Ijust got off of the Rhapsody. Wasn't even sure what was going to happen, but it was all clear from hurricane Rita, and did we have a blast! We had #8588 - loved it! We booked summer of last year, and specifically wanted this cabin to try it out. It was great having such a spacious balcony.

The only problem was that the beauty salon was above us, and they would leave the lights on at night. Several calls, and meeting in person still produced no results of them turning them off at night.

Otherwise it was great. Very quiet, and very little wind. We didn't find it to be any louder back there, just the kick up of the water from the engines. There is a bit more movement, but if you don't have a problem with it, I would say book one. Also the rocking puts you to sleep at night :)

If you can get, I would say definately try it!

and rougher in the rear of the ship???? I myself enjoy the "hump" cabin. It seems like there is a lot of obstruction with the aft cabins, it's like they are enclosed.

Ours look toward the back and then has a port hole hole the side. That should offer a really great view.

We are booked in an aft cabin on deck 10 on the Freedom next June. Does anyone know how the cabin/ balcony will compare to the Voyager class? I would expect it to be very similar if not the same but from the drawings I have seen it looks larger and has a wrap around railing instead of a wall on the side which obstructs your view.

Thanks for your feedback!

Archived