Transatlantic Cruises

italycruiser

I am retiring end of year and am considering a Transatlantic cruise (three weeks including a week in the Caribbean and then to Monte Carlo) on the Odyssey next spring. I have never spent that many days at sea; would those of you with experience comment on how you keep busy, what activities are offered, whether you would sail this kind of cruise again, etc. Thanks in advance.

For those who like sea days this is a great leg. It's a totally different atmosphere on board compared with the 7 day segments that generally don't include sea days. More opportunity to meet other pax and usually something organized during the day - lectures, trivia, cooking demo etc.

We will be on that sailing, having done multiple Atlantic and Pacific crossings, it is a great way to simply relax, not needing to plan your day out except for where you want to eat or go for cocktails. Read that book you've been waiting for the "time", get a massage, sleep in, strike up a conversation with fellow passengers, hit the gym, etc.

Well this is what we love to do, although not necessarily on Seabourn. We are not too fond, yet, of port-intensive cruises, but we adore the relaxing experience of crossing the ocean on a ship, arriving relaxed with no jet lag and not in a stressful airport. We have crossed the Atlantic many times on other lines (Cunard, Azamara, Holland), and have crossed the Pacific on Seabourn. On sea days on Seabourn, much of your time will be in Seabourn Square where one finds a library, a coffee bar, newspapers, computer terminals, personal assistance from an excellent staff, plus lots of friendly conversation. The lectures and enrichment program are OK and help fill the day. Fitness center and exercise program very good. We don't play bridge, but on our Seabourn crossing, more than half of the passengers were avid players guided by professionals. Oh, and the art classes were superb. If all else fails, the television system in your stateroom will provide endless viewing options, maybe the best on the sea. But I do recommend that you board with some of your own hobbies, whether that be internet, reading, puzzles, crafts, etc. If we ever travel Seabourn again, it will probably be on an ocean crossing, but just haven't found the right itinerary. Searching...

Transatlantics are by far our favourite cruises. Long, lazy sea days, do what you like, be as sociable as you wish or even as unsociable! Trivia, martini making, cooking demos - all sorts of stuff mentioned in other posts. I guarantee you won't be bored.

I was thinking about prebooking some of my spa appointments for my transatlantic in two weeks.

Are there any "known" daily blocks to avoid? ie standard time for trivia or cooking demos or other things I might be sad to schedule over? (I know tea is usually at 4, dinner 7-9, etc. so I'm thinking more about what sea day norms might exist!)

I was thinking about prebooking some of my spa appointments for my transatlantic in two weeks.

Are there any "known" daily blocks to avoid? ie standard time for trivia or cooking demos or other things I might be sad to schedule over? (I know tea is usually at 4, dinner 7-9, etc. so I'm thinking more about what sea day norms might exist!)

Trivia time is always right before the lunch. Special events are usually post lunch/early afternoon (tug of war depending on crew, boat races, fun fair).

Trivia is always at noon; cooking demo's usually 11 but sometimes at 10 from my experience. Lectures usually at 11 or 2 but I have seen that vary, suspect it is up to the CD for scheduling. 9 a.m or 4 p.m. Likely guarantee you won't miss anything - except maybe a great conversation somewhere with a fellow pax.

Trivia is always at noon; cooking demo's usually 11 but sometimes at 10 from my experience. Lectures usually at 11 or 2 but I have seen that vary, suspect it is up to the CD for scheduling. 9 a.m or 4 p.m. Likely guarantee you won't miss anything - except maybe a great conversation somewhere with a fellow pax.

I didn't understand "9a.m. or 4p.m." Did your thoughts get ahead of your fingers there?

My Odyssey crossing will be my first on Seabourn but my 25th overall. I've crossed on everything on the activity scale from a freighter and Windstar to Cunard and Crystal and enjoyed them all. It would still be worth while to have the best possible idea of what to expect on Seabourn.

Roy

I didn't understand "9a.m. or 4p.m." Did your thoughts get ahead of your fingers there?

That 9 am or 4 pm would be more ideal times for me to schedule my spa appointments so I wouldn't cross into any other things I might be interested in attending.

I ended up booking my massages for 8 am - I might miss yoga, but massage will have the same effect!:D

Another transatlantic question....

Our sailing information lists 2 formal nights while onboard.

I've twice now had sailings with Seabourn the listed 1 in the pre-cruise materials but then there were actually 2 nights listed when we embarked. Seabourn also mentions in the dress code that holidays or crossings may have more.

What is the normal experience for a 16 night Transatlantic on Seabourn? I love formal nights so there is no problem pulling more frocks out of the closet as if love to be prepared - but I'd also hate to overpack if 2 is the upward limit!

Another transatlantic question....

Our sailing information lists 2 formal nights while onboard.

I've twice now had sailings with Seabourn the listed 1 in the pre-cruise materials but then there were actually 2 nights listed when we embarked. Seabourn also mentions in the dress code that holidays or crossings may have more.

What is the normal experience for a 16 night Transatlantic on Seabourn? I love formal nights so there is no problem pulling more frocks out of the closet as if love to be prepared - but I'd also hate to overpack if 2 is the upward limit!

There were 3 Formal Optional on the Prides final TA cruise. I think there were also 3 on the Legends last TA. However on my 16 day Auckland to Sydney cruise I only recall 2 formal optional nights.

Edited by Emperor Norton

That 9 am or 4 pm would be more ideal times for me to schedule my spa appointments so I wouldn't cross into any other things I might be interested in attending.

I ended up booking my massages for 8 am - I might miss yoga, but massage will have the same effect!:D

Exactly - glad I didn't have to explain the answer to the question you asked!!!

TA usually if 14 days or less then 2, greater than 14 usually 3 formal nights, at least in my experience - although we usually do more than a crossing - but usually what is in the docs is right. Last cruise we had less than what was in the pre-sailing docs for a 34 day cruise.