Chances of booking excursions in Deluxe Veranda

czst17

I called Viking with this question but they won't speak to me until I book a cruise- even to answer what I consider a basic question. I also tried a search and can't find an answer so I am turning to my cruise critic buddies

If I am in a deluxe veranda and can't book excursions until after everyone else has booked will I get locked out of the included, free excursions? I am looking at Mediterranean Odyssey in 2017.

Thanks so much, Kathie

There are only 126 better cabins (suites of various types) that have priority in booking excursions and dinner reservations in speciality restaurants. That equals something like 252 people out of 930 passengers that will have booked before you are eligible. And many of those 252 people will have chosen to book private tours or just explore on their own or booked Viking shore excursions you have no interest in. If you book early on the first day you are eligible you should have no problems. I emphasize "early". I just booked excursions for the May 22 Viking Homelands cruise on the Sea and got every excursion I wanted at the time I wanted and that included a number of the "free" excursions. Another couple we are traveling with also booked early on the first day and got every excursion they wanted at the time they wanted including the free excursions they chose.

I emphasize "early".

Kathie,

I reiterate wavetime's advice to book "early". Last month, I logged on to MVJ at 7am eastern time the day our bookings opened (a DV cabin on Passages of Europe voyage on the Star). I was able to reserve all the included (free) excursions in which we were interested. A few hours later, our traveling companions on the west coast logged on to do the same thing. They found the first timeslots for some of the tours already sold out, so they reserved later times.

We are hoping that once on board, the helpful staff at the Explorer's Desk will be able to juggle things so the four of us can explore together.

Hi Kathie,

FYI, the booking time on our given date was 3:00 A.M. EST or 12:00 A.M. Pacific time. Our group of 8 all got up during the night to make sure that we got the excursions and times that we wanted. Booking was easy and we all got our first choices. One couple adjusted a few times later that morning and had no problems. To be safe I would book as early as possible.

"We are hoping that once on board, the helpful staff at the Explorer's Desk will be able to juggle things so the four of us can explore together"

Screen-gem

We were on the Homelands Bergen to Stockholm last June and there were six of us from various places (NZ; California & Colorado). During the cruise there were times when we were not all on the same free excursion and The Explorers Desk was able to change our times so we could all go together. They were most helpful and this was not ever a problem, for them.

Enjoy!

Thank you all for the help. I booked the March 5, 2017 Mediterranean Odyssey and can book on Dec. 28, 2016. I guessed that midnight west coast time would be when I should start.

You are the best and made my day- Thanks again

Kathie

The only additional observation I would make is that everybody on board will get on the included excursion, the only question is will they get there first choice of time slot. In my experience the morning cruise slots were booked first and those later in the day were always available.

Neil

Neil- thank you for confirming what I hoped- there are enough spots for all. I also prefer mornings but would take afternoons if needed. I do all the planning for our trips and one of the pluses with Viking was that the tours would be an easy booking.

I really appreciate your chiming in.

Kathie

We were in just a regular veranda cabin (not deluxe) and were among the last to get to pick our excursions. We were able to book every free excursion; but some of the earliest time slots were not available. I always wanted to do excursions first thing BUT I found that there was plenty to do before our afternoon excursion (like leisurely eat breakfast) and then hop of the ship on our own....explore a little and then come back and take our tour. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I actually enjoyed NOT being rushed. They would normally stagger the departure times for each excursion by about 15/20 mins so if we didn't get the first time slot, we almost always left within an hour of the first one and again, we weren't rushed at all. We loved our cruise!!!!!

We are also in a regular Veranda and got all of the included tours we wanted. We booked at 5:00 am PST. I did notice that by the end of the day most of the included tours were sold out. Since there are still many cabin catagories available on our cruise date I am wondering if they will add more included tours for new bookings. Viking advertises that there are included tours in every port. How can they use "included tours" as a sales incentive if they are sold out?

Thanks to both of you

huntersyaya- thanks you have given me something to consider. We hate being rushed so I may book later excursions. Thanks for the tip.

Insanityx4- the reason for my question was as you say- how can they advertise 10 included excursions and not deliver. But there are so many small print exclusions in cruise contracts I wanted to hear from my cruise critic experts. Thanks for the reassurance.

We are looking forward to the trip.

Kathie

Dear Insanityx4,

Thank you for allowing us to jump in and clear up any misunderstanding.

We do guarantee each guest an included shore excursion in every port. To ensure space for all guests, however, the included tours are divided into several time slots. Each time slot is designed to accommodate a certain number of guests. That said, a specific time slot may sell out, but the shore excursion will not. My Viking Journey communicates this idea by offering a drop down menu of start times.

In the unlikely event that you, or any of our Cruise Critic members, witness all time slots to be sold out, please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Thanks again, Insanityx4. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We are also in a regular Veranda and got all of the included tours we wanted. We booked at 5:00 am PST. I did notice that by the end of the day most of the included tours were sold out. Since there are still many cabin catagories available on our cruise date I am wondering if they will add more included tours for new bookings. Viking advertises that there are included tours in every port. How can they use "included tours" as a sales incentive if they are sold out?

Hi Kathie,

FYI, the booking time on our given date was 3:00 A.M. EST or 12:00 A.M. Pacific time. Our group of 8 all got up during the night to make sure that we got the excursions and times that we wanted. Booking was easy and we all got our first choices. One couple adjusted a few times later that morning and had no problems. To be safe I would book as early as possible.

Is that the same start time for all sailings or does it differ? How does one find out the start time for booking for one's cruise?

Also how far in advance of sailing do they list possible tours so you can look them over before deciding?

Edited by comcox

Tamara- The date I can book excursions is on the cruise confirmation document I got from my travel agent. Mine is on page 3, along with the itinerary. It also shows the date I can book specialty dining.

I don't know what date you can first see the excursions. I figure I'll check a week or two before.

Kathie

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my excursions at a minute after midnight Pacific time. Got everything we wanted!

I called Viking with this question but they won't speak to me until I book a cruise- even to answer what I consider a basic question. I also tried a search and can't find an answer so I am turning to my cruise critic buddies

If I am in a deluxe veranda and can't book excursions until after everyone else has booked will I get locked out of the included, free excursions? I am looking at Mediterranean Odyssey in 2017.

Thanks so much, Kathie

We are PV1 and booked all our excursions at minute one when bookings opened and naturally got all we wanted. We did observe that they booked out pretty quickly after DV opened a week later, though there is still availability today for a small number of excursions. BUT all the included shorex sold out very quickly. Please note, as expressed elsewhere on this forum, Viking has changed, without notice, shorex times for some bookings after passengers had them confirmed online. So monitor your account for changes. In my case, the change created a time conflict with other bookings. I have had a request with Viking for confirmation that the change is real, and if so, can I reorder things to fix it. It has been a week with no response. I do suggest considering, where it make sense for you, non-Viking options, as on this forum many people have expressed how happy they are with those choices.