Will there be Tour Operators when we get off the ship?

splitpeaz

We will be in Hawaii in April & we would prefer to do choose a tour when we get off the ship (''non-princess'' to save a lot of money since there is 6 of us)

When we get off the ship in each port, will there be tour operators offering tours of the island highlights? (Its our first time in Hawaii so Im not sure how it compares to tour operators in the Caribbean ports)

Thanks!

You might want to check out Roberts Hawaii tours (http://www.robertshawaii.com/). I booked them for our shorex in May. They have a combo deal of 5 tours for US$150. They also have combos of 3 and 4 tours for less. Can't beat that price (even with the lousy exchange rates). They seem to be highly rated here on CC and on TripAdvisor.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

It is rare to find any tour operators at the pier now....due to security of the pier area and such. So, no .... none are there unless they are with NCL, car rentals ....

Some tour operators even have to wait/meet the passenger outside of the pier area...as they are not on the NCL list.

Thanks everyone!

We will be in Hilo 9-6pm

Honolulu 7am-11pm

Kauai 8-5pm

Maui 7-6pm

Any suggestions on ''must do's'' what would be appreciated. I have been making notes from this forum for days....getting a bit overwhelmed.

I will check Hawaii tour operators on trip advisor.

For Hilo, Kauai and Maui, I'd suggest renting a minvan for the day - but you'd want to have a plan worked out for each port in advance of arriving. It would be your most economical way of touring - and it's nice having the flexibility.

Which port will you be in on Maui (Kahului or Lahaina)?

Definitely do not count on finding tours upon arrival, especially for 6 people. It would be disappointing not to get a tour and then have to spend the day within walking distance of the port area.

For ideas on what to see on each island, have a look at the tours offered by the cruise line - even though you don't want to take those tours, it's a good place to find out what the highlights are, and what you can fit into the time that you have.

My suggestions for each place would be:

Hilo - Volcanoes National Park (a 45 minute drive from the port.)

Kauai - Waimea Canyon and Poipu beach

Maui - West Maui - beaches, historic town of Lahaina, scenic drive from Kapalua to Nakalele Blowhole (but avoid Kahekili Hwy #340).

Honolulu - Pearl Harbor and Waikiki

Good luck with your plans!

Hello, there are 4 adults in our party and we are looking at smaller tours off the boat. I am currently looking at Roberts Hawaii, but if anyone else wants to join and keep the group small, that would be wonderful.

Hi Melina,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

You'll need to post your request for others to join you on group tours, on the Roll Call thread for your cruise. If you need help finding it, let us know which cruise ship you'll be on and the date that your cruise starts.

For Hilo I recommend http://www.marylousbigislandguidedtours.com perfect for small groups, very affordable.

A big second vote for Mary Lou's in Hilo for VNP, the waterfalls and much more. Family operated and guided. Small groups of usually 6 to 8 people, conducted by Mary Lou, husband Ken or son Kyle. You don't need that many to book. You can book for only two. Their son Kyle ( Island Wide Family Tours ) now does tours from Kona as well which we just did this week to coffee plantation, National Park and more, and enjoyed it very much. Mary Lou and Ken also do Kona at times. We actually booked our tour through Mary Lou's website, but they were still busy in Hilo, so Kyle did our tour in Kona.