Dream still has problems??-help

karen2cruz

If I remember correctly the late arrival in Seattle on 11th August (ish) was due, in part at least, to a FLAT TYRE (tire - US spelling) on an NCL tour bus in Prince Rupert. This tour arrived back at the dock LATE which added to the other problems.

I thought I would reveal an instance I witnessed last year. We spent a week in Key West last Nov. During that week a Royal Caribbean ship (don't remember which) collided with a barge. On our trip home that very same ship was in dry dock being repaired in Mobile. This was less than a week later. I know that some of our self proclaimed experts have said that it takes months, even years to arrange dry dock, but I witnessed this personally. I believe this situation could have been resolved by now had NCL put forth more effort and/or money.

I thought I would reveal an instance I witnessed last year. We spent a week in Key West last Nov. During that week a Royal Caribbean ship (don't remember which) collided with a barge. On our trip home that very same ship was in dry dock being repaired in Mobile. This was less than a week later. I know that some of our self proclaimed experts have said that it takes months, even years to arrange dry dock, but I witnessed this personally. I believe this situation could have been resolved by now had NCL put forth more effort and/or money.

An accident at sea leading to hull damage is a safety issue, a broken crankshaft in one of four engines is not. Hence accident damage is always done as soon as possible, engine repairs, although annoying to some, are not such a priority. Hull plating is also alot easier to get hold of than crankshafts too.

Why so many people have to make such a fuss over engine problems is totally beyond me. You get compensated, which the lines do not have to do. You go on holiday which others hit by natural disasters do not.

When my car breaks down I get it fixed, when the tire goes flat, I have a spare. NCL needs to find a new mechanic!

They probably doen't even pull into a service station when they run out of petrol! I bet they start up a collection among the passengers in order to buy more and I wouldn't put it past them to give everyone long ropes and make them jump overboard and tow the ship to their next port! It's outrageous that they can't get all 4 engines replaced with the most up to date engines in the world just so they no longer have these problems. NCL has the worst service and ships in the world and I'm including ALL ships (even those that have been sunk)!!!

And don't get me started about the food! Yuk-my dog wouldn't eat that stuff, and he eats cat turds!

There-now that all that's off my chest, I have booked ANOTHER NCL cruise because they have the best fares and itineries in the industry. But I have low expectations and know that I'm gonna have a terrible cruise. It's just that I'm a cheapskate and love having excuses to stiff the staff by complaining about what a bad time I'm having so that I can get the tips removed from my on board charge acct.

WINK WINK LOL

-Monte

Seriously-If it's as bad as many seem to think, I guess I do have low expectations, 'cause I seem to have a lot of fun on their ships.

Well said, Monte.

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that if there is a hurricane in the area they might even miss a port or change the itinery completely. How dare they? (My favorite postings are those complaining about the quality of the food and the poster says they only GAINED (X) number of lbs)

I am afraid though, that someone might read my posting and actually take it seriously!

-Monte

Hello fellow Cruisers:

I will also be boarding the NCL Dream on Saturday Oct. 22. Very disappointed about the cancellation of two of our stops. I was very much looking forward to visiting Cancun again and still not sure why we can't stop there prior to going to Cozumel. They are not that far apart...

My husband and I asked about getting a refund to travel on another ship at another time and was told that we would loose all of our money to do that. Thought that was abit strange as this is not my fault that we aren't going to the desinated cities.

In any case, we are looking forward to a fun time relaxing and hopefully enjoying the sun and meeting new friends and celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary.

Has anyone been to Belize? Can you give us a suggestion as to what is the best thing to do there? We thought snorkeling, but not sure if the one the cruise suggested is the best one.

Thanks and for everyone going on the DREAM!! Let's PARTY!!

Vacationluver

Hello fellow Cruisers:

I will also be boarding the NCL Dream on Saturday Oct. 22. Very disappointed about the cancellation of two of our stops. I was very much looking forward to visiting Cancun again and still not sure why we can't stop there prior to going to Cozumel. They are not that far apart...

My husband and I asked about getting a refund to travel on another ship at another time and was told that we would loose all of our money to do that. Thought that was abit strange as this is not my fault that we aren't going to the desinated cities.

In any case, we are looking forward to a fun time relaxing and hopefully enjoying the sun and meeting new friends and celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary.

Has anyone been to Belize? Can you give us a suggestion as to what is the best thing to do there? We thought snorkeling, but not sure if the one the cruise suggested is the best one.

Thanks and for everyone going on the DREAM!! Let's PARTY!!

Vacationluver

Engine or no engine, with Wilma drifting around out there, there is no sure thing of where you might go. Hopefully, it will gets its act together and move on with minimal damage and you can do your revised itinerary. Good luck and hope it is a wonderful cruise. Happy Anniversary.

I really wasn't complaining, I was mearly stating a fact. A few years back, you could bring your own Alcohol on board the ship(Royal Car. ). We would have our room attendent fill up our ice chest and make sure our beer was ICE cold and ready for us when we came off our tours. I know the reason that they don't want us to bring alcohol on board, but it would be really nice, if the drinks and beer were not so expensive. That was why we brought our own on board to offset the cost. We still bought drinks at the bars, but it was nice to have a drink in our room before dinner with our friends.

Also not everyone likes to sit in the sun and according the weather channel, it doesn't look real good for weather except in Cozumel. Hoping that will change as the days get closer.

Here's hoping everyone on the DREAM has a wonderful time.

Vacationluver

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that if there is a hurricane in the area they might even miss a port or change the itinery completely. How dare they? (My favorite postings are those complaining about the quality of the food and the poster says they only GAINED (X) number of lbs)

I am afraid though, that someone might read my posting and actually take it seriously!

-Monte

Seriously???

Nah..you GOT to be joking....to quote something from a flim...

'Life is like a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you are going to get'

Now that could be the catchphrase of every cruiseline in the world.....just replace 'life' with 'cruising' ;)

Thank You Don! This is all I wanted to know. Thanks for being so helpful!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

I was just on the Dream, and listened to the engineer, sitting next to Captain Lars (sp?) on stage, tell all of us that to replace the engine would take 8 months in dry dock so they are going to sail with what they have and make the best of it (reducing the a/c at night, etc.). Buyer beware.

It may take eight months to build a new engine, it should take much less time to build a new part. Once the part arrives they should be able to put the diesel back together quickly.

Look at how much progress Meyerweft has made to the Pride Of Hawaii in eight months, which had its keel laid down earlier this year. In February 2005 the first block was laid.

PoH block laid.jpg

Recently, seven months later in September 2005 the first block was laid for another Norwegian ship. The ship in the background is the Pride of Hawaii.

S669 block laid.jpg

NCL ARE NOT THE ONLY CRUISELINE WITH ENGINE TROUBLES!!!!!

No, they are not. We had a similar problem with Dawn Princess last year. Our itinerary was changed and port calls shortened. My complaint then would be the same I would make towards NCL. Informing passengers that everything is OK when you know in fact that there are problems, and not being honest about changes caused by mechanical problems is bad faith.

The contract states that they can change their schedules. Most people are understanding when it is a weather problem or something that happens during a cruise. When the problem has been in place for months, and the official line doesn't change in spite of the facts, the company is being deceitful. I don't think contracts are valid when one party is dealing fraudulently by promising something they know they cannot deliver.

People do have a right to know what to expect when making their travel plans. Unless you are hitchhiking, that is.

As I stated on the other thread about this engine fault with Dream, my TA in the UK was notified by NCL UK that a problem existed and to advise prospective customers of that problem back in July.

So in my book, at least, the onus falls firmly at the doorstep of the TA's and not NCL.

However, as with all industries that workers get commission there will be TA's who have skirted over the advice received from NCL for fear of losing out on there commission.

This cannot be the fault of NCL as they have no say whatsoever as to who can be a TA.

In the UK there are associations in place to ensure this sort of information is passed to prospective passengers, whether it be airlines, coaches or ships. I am assuming there are no such safeguards in the US.

So instead of blaming NCL for their alleged lack of care, dereliction of duty etc, might I suggest that you ask your TA as if anyone has been witholding information its appears to be them and not NCL who have done everything they can do to put the word out via the TA's who book on their behalf.

As I stated on the other thread about this engine fault with Dream, my TA in the UK was notified by NCL UK that a problem existed and to advise prospective customers of that problem back in July.

So in my book, at least, the onus falls firmly at the doorstep of the TA's and not NCL.

However, as with all industries that workers get commission there will be TA's who have skirted over the advice received from NCL for fear of losing out on there commission.

This cannot be the fault of NCL as they have no say whatsoever as to who can be a TA.

In the UK there are associations in place to ensure this sort of information is passed to prospective passengers, whether it be airlines, coaches or ships. I am assuming there are no such safeguards in the US.

So instead of blaming NCL for their alleged lack of care, dereliction of duty etc, might I suggest that you ask your TA as if anyone has been witholding information its appears to be them and not NCL who have done everything they can do to put the word out via the TA's who book on their behalf.

OK, first my personal disclaimer (anti-flame device:D ); I am NOT complaining, just stating the facts as I know them from personal experience.

While your arguement works if you booked with an independent TA, it does not explain why those of us who booked DIRECTLY through NCL where not told of engine problems at time of booking. We booked this cruise in September. Of the 3 couples in our group, not one was told of engine concerns. From my experience, NCL did not "advise prospective customers" and in my book, that could only mean that NCL "skirted over" its own advice "for fear of losing out on their commission."

NCL's own sales people earn the same commission as the independant TA's. If they 'forgot' to say anything, it does not mean they were not told in the first place. If they choose to say nothing in order to secure the booking (and thus their commission on that booking), that is not the fault of NCL if no-one alerts NCL that it has happened, does it?

NCL, as with every other travel company, can only deal with staff who give incorrect information IF they are told there is a problem with that member of staff. This stands to reason, does it not?

NCL's own sales people earn the same commission as the independant TA's. If they 'forgot' to say anything, it does not mean they were not told in the first place. If they choose to say nothing in order to secure the booking (and thus their commission on that booking), that is not the fault of NCL if no-one alerts NCL that it has happened, does it?

NCL, as with every other travel company, can only deal with staff who give incorrect information IF they are told there is a problem with that member of staff. This stands to reason, does it not?

Why do you insist on once again putting this all back on the passengers plate of responsibility? NCL has to take resposibility!!

Again (surprise, surprise!), you are making HUGE assumptions. NCL has been contacted. I was told that while the engine problems may not be repaired by the time we sail, we should not worry about any itinerary changes. While my cruise does not sail until December, I do find it interesting that upcoming cruises this month have had itinerary changes. But then, I am sure that is my fault somehow...:D

Let me put this in simple terms.

You phone an agent of NCL and ask to go on a ship. They take your booking and your money. You then find out that there is a problem with the ship. You then go back to NCL and you speak to another agent and ask about it and they tell you that yes this is so. You then say that the agent named Fred didn't tell you and that if they had, you may not have booked it.

Apologies all round, Fred is then reported to his seniors and reprimanded or sacked. You get a nice cabin credit or opportunity to change to another ship or whatever.

If NCL are not told that one of their booking staff didn't tell you there was a problem, when that person did know and should have told you, then yes its down to you to report this to NCL and let NCL deal with that person.

Simple really.

OK, first my personal disclaimer (anti-flame device:D ); I am NOT complaining, just stating the facts as I know them from personal experience.

While your arguement works if you booked with an independent TA, it does not explain why those of us who booked DIRECTLY through NCL where not told of engine problems at time of booking. We booked this cruise in September. Of the 3 couples in our group, not one was told of engine concerns. From my experience, NCL did not "advise prospective customers" and in my book, that could only mean that NCL "skirted over" its own advice "for fear of losing out on their commission."

Now this I can agree with. My beef was with those who kept insisting NCL was derelict in either causing the problem or in not fixing it faster.

NCL should have a link on their web site listing all the ships and any problems and changes to itineraries. And keep it up-dated in a timely manner. Then both users and their own agents can use it to find the latest. TA's should also be notified. Mine was. Other's saying they weren't, only they know for sure. Those who booked directly should be sent e-mails or called if they do not have an e-mail for them.

BUT, this is not just an NCL problem. It is industry wide. And I know this so I will keep myself abreast of what's happening before and after I lay out the bucks and not wait until the problem affects me before I go looking for resources that would have prevented me from being a victim.

I know I shouldn't have to, but in this day and age of customer service, it is a neccessity.

Maybe you can explain it in simple terms so I can understand.

I don't know if that is possible, but I'll try. NCL customer service sucks. With me so far. But it is not NCL alone, it is industry wide.

If NCL is not responsible for what their staff tell you over the phone, why should they be any more responsible for what their staff post on this website that you think they should have?

I never said NCL is not responsible for what they said on the phone. I said they need a link that both customers and customer service can pull up with up to date info on each ship and they need to keep it current. That way the right hand knows what the left hand is doing. That is so customer service is not in the dark as it is now. They will have the true information. Notice I said both current and up to date. That means the info reflects what the condition of each ship is in right now, not yesterday. Still with me.

Both the site and the phone agents are employees of NCL why should NCL be bound by the information that one type of employee provides but not the information that the other type supplies?

Again, nothing I said indicated one should and one shouldn't. What I said was the info should be true, up to date, and easily available to all with one click. Keep them on the same page.

And how the heck is your average customer supposed to know which of NCL's representatives it is okay to trust?

I trust my wife. I trust my kids. I trust my brother and sisters. I trusted my parents while they were alive. Other than that I trust no one until they prove themselves trustworthy. Many people have and I trust them. That's why so many of us say, when you lay out the bucks, hope they do you right, but double check everything yourself until the product is delivered. Cynical, yes. But in this day and age of customer service, it pays.

Grant me the grace that this may be understood.

Archived