Dream still has problems??-help

karen2cruz

Just saw this on another cruise message board. Can any travel agents out there confirm this?

"Just got a call that the Dream is arriving 5 hours late Saturday from the positioning cruise and the 10/15 cruise out of Houston is dropping Roatan and Cancun as ports. Only going to Cozumel and Belize. NCL is offering 100pp (limit 2) credit per cabin and 100 pp for future cruise. They are still having mechanical problems."

The last rumor I saw floating around the board was that the engines were supposed to be all fixed by Oct. 15, but if what you say is true it sounds as if they are behind schedule. Let's hope they haven't been shipped another bum part requiring several more months to replace.:eek:

Apart from catching you up with some more rumors I'm not sure how anyone here can help.

Are you saying that you would like to cancel the cruise or are you just upset and venting a little? I do sympathize with you, having your cruise expectations let down, but I don't know what else I can do.

WHat ever way things go I hope you are able to still have an enjoyable vacation. Good luck!:)

Just got off the phone with NCL and it's true. It will arrive in port 4-5 hours late.By cancelling Cancun, it will alow them to arrive in port on time for the rest of the cruises, or until the engine is finally fixed.

I am not surprised either, just grateful I saw this on the other board and so I am mentally prepared for 2 additional sea days. Also grateful I got that upsell so we have a very comfortable suite to hang out in. I am not one to complain - I just wanted to find out if it was true and then let as many people know as possible.

We already called our hotel and asked them if we could hang out in our room for a few hours longer, which they were kind enough to do for free.

Karen

Hopefully the much needed part is waiting for the ship in Houston and hopefully they'll fix it on the first cruise. Lets end this nonsense once and for all....

I think the drama of the Dream will end when she is transfered to Star. She has had a checker past with engine problems and as some will remember the Dream had a little accident in the English Channel. Never saw the freighter it ran into.:)

HI ALL..... Just spoke with my TA...He called NCL while I was on line...plug me in to listen....Its true....the change is;

Board late evening Sat...Sail Midnight...

Sun - Mon - at sea

Tues - Cozumel - 8 - 4

Wed - Belize - 9- 6

Thur and Fri - at sea

Sat - back to Houston...

of course...this is also subject to change....BUT...we all knew she was having trouble when we booked....or have heard of it since...but in time to cancel if we wanted to.....SO .... just remember....any day at sea is better than a day at work.....

jus me...Jim:cool:

Since I am on the last Transatlantic voyage she will make with passengers next year back from Dover to Galveston, which also happens to coincide with hurricane season, I am quite happy with as many sea days as I can get on her :)

At the moment I will have 4 ports of call (Le Havre, La Coruna, Madeira and Miami) and 12 days bouncing (hopefully, sorry but I like choppy seas). If one engine is a bit iffy, it really doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Strange coincidence however...

Shoreguy mentioned the minor altercation with a freighter and now she has engine iffiness...PoAm sank in drydock and now has spates of engine iffiness...hmmmm seems engine iffiness has a connection to incidents in the past for these ships ;)

Anyway, I for one, will be sorry to see Crown and Dream go to Star Asia to join what was Radisson Diamond. I personally love older ships...even if they do have vices like engine iffiness.

Roll on my Christmas with Crown and the last westbound Transatlantic for Dream.

Just to prove that its not always NCL ships that have off days, check this link from 1999. It has the Dream collision and many other ships from other lines with good and bad things that happened to them....even a fire on Voyager of the Seas.....

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews1999.html

OK so Dream has an engine problem, but when you sit down and really think about how many miles these ships do and in all weathers too, its hardly surprising that the moving parts get a little tempermental occasionally, just as the family car sat in the driveway does. Cruiseships are no different to anything else with an engine. As for more sea days, well that is the beauty of a cruiseship, they float on the sea...otherwise they would not be going anywhere. Enjoy the sea days, relax, sit back and enjoy the fact that you are not sat at work sweating over a desk.

Question for Shoreguy...What happened to Norwegian Capricorn, is that now Star Capricorn???

Superstar Capricorn was built by Oy Wärtsilä Ab, Helsinki, in June 1973 for Kloster Cruise Line, Bergen. She entered service as the Royal Viking Sky for Royal Viking Lines, which was originally owned by a consortium of owners including Kloster. Royal Viking Sky was the third of three sisterships, the others being Royal Viking Star (1972) and Royal Viking Sea (November 1973). In 1987, Royal Viking Sky was transferred fully to Kloster Group ownership, and in 1991 was assigned to Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) as the Sunward.

In 1992 Sunward was sold to Birka Line Ab and renamed Birka Queen (2), replacing Birka Queen (1) which was sold to Majesty Cruise Line before delivery as the Royal Majesty. Birka Queen (2), was introduced on cruise services from Stockholm to Riga and St Petersburg during the summer of 1992. However, in October 1992 she was chartered back to Kloster, resuming the identity of Sunward for NCL. In 1993 she was chartered to Princess Cruises as the Golden Princess (1). This charter continued until new Princess tonnage was delivered in 1996, when Birka Line sold her to Star Cruises as the Superstar Capricorn.

In 1998 she was chartered to Hyundai Merchant Marine Co Ltd, as the Hyundai Keumgang, for use on pilgrim traffic between South and North Korea. She returned to Star Cruises as Superstar Capricorn in 2001. Superstar Capricorn became the Grand Latino of new Spanish operator Iberojet in January 2004 (ship owners were Grand Latino Nav.SA). She is due to maintain Mediterranean itineraries throughout 2005. In January 2005, it was announced that she had been sold to Fred. Olsen Cruises for 2006 delivery, and will be named Boadicea.

Just to prove that its not always NCL ships that have off days, check this link from 1999. It has the Dream collision and many other ships from other lines with good and bad things that happened to them....even a fire on Voyager of the Seas.....

OK so Dream has an engine problem, but when you sit down and really think about how many miles these ships do and in all weathers too, its hardly surprising that the moving parts get a little tempermental occasionally, just as the family car sat in the driveway does. Cruiseships are no different to anything else with an engine. As for more sea days, well that is the beauty of a cruiseship, they float on the sea...otherwise they would not be going anywhere. Enjoy the sea days, relax, sit back and enjoy the fact that you are not sat at work sweating over a desk.

Question for Shoreguy...What happened to Norwegian Capricorn, is that now Star Capricorn???

So, What you are saying, It would be O.K. if you ordered a nice limo to take you to the ship and when it came to pick you up. It was nice inside & out, but the motor was only hitting on 2 cylinders. It had to go at 30 mph and they would not put you in another limo. You missed the cruise because you were late. :rolleyes:

So, What you are saying, It would be O.K. if you ordered a nice limo to take you to the ship and when it came to pick you up. It was nice inside & out, but the motor was only hitting on 2 cylinders. It had to go at 30 mph and they would not put you in another limo. You missed the cruise because you were late. :rolleyes:

Nothing in life has a guarantee, hence we have insurance to recompence for all eventualities, including dodgy engines on ships, planes and cars.

You learn to roll with it, and take it in your stride. No point getting all upset cos that pushes the blood pressure up and that can kill you...which is the only guarantee in life...death. There is no point getting het up over things out of your own personal control.

What will be, will be...its life, get on with it and make the best of it cos you spend an awfully long time in a coffin in the ground or in a jar on a mantlepiece.

Apples and oranges again. Most hotels expect you to depart by noon, most cruise ships depart in the evening hours, or after 6 PM. Even if the limo was going 30 mph, or had a flat tire, you should reach the cruise ship in an hour, with plenty of time left to spare. The key is not to cut it so close, with an airliner or a limo, or a taxi. I much prefer getting there early, if anything happens, there is time to remedy the situation. Waiting until the last minute to travel to the cruise ship or airport or train station isn't WISE.....

Superstar Capricorn was built by Oy Wärtsilä Ab, Helsinki, in June 1973 for Kloster Cruise Line, Bergen. She entered service as the Royal Viking Sky for Royal Viking Lines, which was originally owned by a consortium of owners including Kloster. Royal Viking Sky was the third of three sisterships, the others being Royal Viking Star (1972) and Royal Viking Sea (November 1973). In 1987, Royal Viking Sky was transferred fully to Kloster Group ownership, and in 1991 was assigned to Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) as the Sunward.

In 1992 Sunward was sold to Birka Line Ab and renamed Birka Queen (2), replacing Birka Queen (1) which was sold to Majesty Cruise Line before delivery as the Royal Majesty. Birka Queen (2), was introduced on cruise services from Stockholm to Riga and St Petersburg during the summer of 1992. However, in October 1992 she was chartered back to Kloster, resuming the identity of Sunward for NCL. In 1993 she was chartered to Princess Cruises as the Golden Princess (1). This charter continued until new Princess tonnage was delivered in 1996, when Birka Line sold her to Star Cruises as the Superstar Capricorn.

In 1998 she was chartered to Hyundai Merchant Marine Co Ltd, as the Hyundai Keumgang, for use on pilgrim traffic between South and North Korea. She returned to Star Cruises as Superstar Capricorn in 2001. Superstar Capricorn became the Grand Latino of new Spanish operator Iberojet in January 2004 (ship owners were Grand Latino Nav.SA). She is due to maintain Mediterranean itineraries throughout 2005. In January 2005, it was announced that she had been sold to Fred. Olsen Cruises for 2006 delivery, and will be named Boadicea.

Goodness,

Talk about an identity crisis:eek:

It always amazes me how we forget about other lines and problems like Celebrity's M class and the pod trouble. NMNita

Just curious as to when the Dream is going to Star. DH & I are considering sailing on the Dream in Nov., 2006. Do they usually announce these type of changes so far in advance? We really like the itinerary, but I admit to being a little leary after reading some of the things I've read here.

TIA,

Just curious as to when the Dream is going to Star. DH & I are considering sailing on the Dream in Nov.' date=' 2006. Do they usually announce these type of changes so far in advance? We really like the itinerary, but I admit to being a little leary after reading some of the things I've read here.

TIA,[/quote']

It appears Dream will be leaving NCL for their parent company Star at the end of 2006. No doubt the exact date will be made public nearer the time but to all intents and purposes she is shifting over at the end of next year at some point.

Just curious as to when the Dream is going to Star. DH & I are considering sailing on the Dream in Nov.' date=' 2006. Do they usually announce these type of changes so far in advance? We really like the itinerary, but I admit to being a little leary after reading some of the things I've read here.

TIA,[/quote']

They announced the Sea about a year in advance. I would wager a guess she will end her NCL days at the end of the summer season next year. NMNita

They announced the Sea about a year in advance. I would wager a guess she will end her NCL days at the end of the summer season next year. NMNita

Well I get off Dream in Galveston on Oct 7th next year, so it will be anytime after that. It'll be a pity really but I spose its called progress.

Archived