Dream still has problems??-help

karen2cruz

Ship Name: Norwegian Sun

Sailing Date(s): November 6, 13, 20, 27, 2005

Ports of Call: Departs From Houston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico; Playa Del Carmen, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras

It departed today 10/16/05 & 10/23/05 - On the same Ports / Call

Yes, but the Sun is scheduled to change ports in January doing intineraries out of Miami. Which ship is going to do the Dream's intineraries then, if NCL lays up the ship in drydock tomorrow? None.....

Which drydock has a months time of availability handy tomorrow for a spur of the moment decision to put the Dream into one? None.....

Which diesel manufacturer has an extra brand new diesel handy to ship to this drydock to replace the faulty diesel on the Dream in a month's time? None....

Its the same story with the spare parts. The engine can be repaired while at sea. However, the engine cannot be changed at sea, a drydock will be necessary.

It ain't like putting your car into a garage is it?

We have just returned from the Panama Canal repositioning cruise. Nothing but praise for the Captain and Crew in general but very disappointed in NCL. We were not aware of the engine problem, still ongoing, been told by the Senior Engineering Officer on board that this problem started in July 05 and that a replacement engine would take 8 months to obtain but they hoped to get a part in about 4 weeks. We missed Puerto Vallerta because of engine problems, kept getting the airconditioning cut because they used power to increase the speed to try and keep on track. Got into Houston 4 hours late and there was a complete debacle at Port re offloading. NCL provided a free coach to George Bush International but had virtually no-one port side to help with finding badly offloaded luggage (everyone's not just a few) which were distributed all over the place and not in luggage tag colour coded areas. The coach driver took 2 hours to get to the airport because he was from Utah did not know the area and got lost, several times.

Saying that the food was good, the ship clean, but showing its age in places. This was our first cruise and we would go back with NCL but now know the questions we want cleared up before we book a cruise and checked up on right up until we can cancel - ie. DO ALL YOUR ENGINES WORK!!!! This was also rather worrying when we got caught up in Hurrican Otis and worried that we might not have the power to outrun it!!

We have just returned from the Panama Canal repositioning cruise. Nothing but praise for the Captain and Crew in general but very disappointed in NCL. We were not aware of the engine problem, still ongoing, been told by the Senior Engineering Officer on board that this problem started in July 05 and that a replacement engine would take 8 months to obtain but they hoped to get a part in about 4 weeks. We missed Puerto Vallerta because of engine problems, kept getting the airconditioning cut because they used power to increase the speed to try and keep on track. Got into Houston 4 hours late and there was a complete debacle at Port re offloading. NCL provided a free coach to George Bush International but had virtually no-one port side to help with finding badly offloaded luggage (everyone's not just a few) which were distributed all over the place and not in luggage tag colour coded areas. The coach driver took 2 hours to get to the airport because he was from Utah did not know the area and got lost, several times.

Saying that the food was good, the ship clean, but showing its age in places. This was our first cruise and we would go back with NCL but now know the questions we want cleared up before we book a cruise and checked up on right up until we can cancel - ie. DO ALL YOUR ENGINES WORK!!!! This was also rather worrying when we got caught up in Hurrican Otis and worried that we might not have the power to outrun it!!

The port problems were bad but that is down in the most part to the port themselves, they would have been informed the ship was behind schedule and should have made appropriate arrangements, the shuttle is hired from an outside contractor too and I dare say that in the backroom NCL will be asking pertinent questions as to why there were obvious failings in both areas.

Its a shame you didn't join this site earlier, you may well have been more aware of the problem with one engine...hindsight is a wonderful thing if you can have it in advance.

At least the engine and port/shuttle problems didn't spoil the overall holiday though, which is a good thing. Things like this often happen, most are out of the control of the company, but as the company are the one's in the front line they often get the rants targetted at them...I know this from bitter experience as an ex travel operator.

Good for you not to let the problems get the better of you and not allowing it to cloud your opinion of NCL as a whole :)

Yes, but the Sun is scheduled to change ports in January doing intineraries out of Miami. Which ship is going to do the Dream's intineraries then, if NCL lays up the ship in drydock tomorrow? None.....

Which drydock has a months time of availability handy tomorrow for a spur of the moment decision to put the Dream into one? None.....

Which diesel manufacturer has an extra brand new diesel handy to ship to this drydock to replace the faulty diesel on the Dream in a month's time? None....

Its the same story with the spare parts. The engine can be repaired while at sea. However, the engine cannot be changed at sea, a drydock will be necessary.

It ain't like putting your car into a garage is it?

We were not aware of the engine problem, still ongoing, been told by the Senior Engineering Officer on board that this problem started in July 05 and that a replacement engine would take 8 months to obtain but they hoped to get a part in about 4 weeks.

Since this started in July of 2005 (14-15 Months) this is a dereliction of duty. They should of had 2-3 Engines Replaced or Repaired in that amount of time. I'll almost bet, that there is an Engine out there somewhere just waiting to be asked for. For the right price I could even find one. It might be used, but it would be better than what they are not using right now. And for not having a dry dock available, this flippin' Ship passed some of the largest dry docks in the world, between Alaska and Houston and where ever The Dream has been in these last 15 months.

This is absolutely Ridiculous.

this flippin' Ship passed some of the largest dry docks in the world, between Alaska and Houston This is absolutely Ridiculous.

Dry docks aren't places you can just "stop at" when you feel like it!!!

Since this started in July of 2005 (14-15 Months) this is a dereliction of duty. They should of had 2-3 Engines Replaced or Repaired in that amount of time. I'll almost bet, that there is an Engine out there somewhere just waiting to be asked for. For the right price I could even find one. It might be used, but it would be better than what they are not using right now. And for not having a dry dock available, this flippin' Ship passed some of the largest dry docks in the world, between Alaska and Houston and where ever The Dream has been in these last 15 months.

July 2005 is not 14-15 months ago...

If you are so determined to have a bad attitude about Dream and her shortcomings, perhaps it would be an idea that you stayed at home and didn't go on the holiday you have coming up. Perhaps a hotel without any engines or mechanical parts would suit you more.

Sorry but come on....be reasonable...nothing, NOTHING is perfect in life, get on with it, stop making issues out of things that cannot be altered overnight. Itineraries for cruiseships on ALL lines are planned out at least 12 months in advance, despite everyone's best efforts not every single eventuality can be planned for...if they were no ships would sail during hurricane season would they???

Be reasonable...for goodness sake!!!!

NCL ARE NOT THE ONLY CRUISELINE WITH ENGINE TROUBLES!!!!!

Get over it.

After wading through this thread, I am still confused. My bottom line is this; we sail on the Dream on Dec 10, 2005. Will the engine issues be resolved at this time, or is it still anyone's guess? Since we switched from Carnival after the Hurricane Katrina fiasco, anyone could understand my desire to know that this cruise will not be riddled with problems such as cancelled ports, etc.

After wading through this thread, I am still confused. My bottom line is this; we sail on the Dream on Dec 10, 2005. Will the engine issues be resolved at this time, or is it still anyone's guess? Since we switched from Carnival after the Hurricane Katrina fiasco, anyone could understand my desire to know that this cruise will not be riddled with problems such as cancelled ports, etc.

In life there are no guarantees, a brand new vessel has problems, as does everything.

Katrina was one of those things, so is a mechanical problem with a cruiseship engine.

Even without an engine fault there will always be something that someone does not like.

Take the cruise, enjoy the cruise and take each day as it comes...every day is an adventure, live it to the full and make the very best of it.

In life there are no guarantees, a brand new vessel has problems, as does everything.

Katrina was one of those things, so is a mechanical problem with a cruiseship engine.

Even without an engine fault there will always be something that someone does not like.

Take the cruise, enjoy the cruise and take each day as it comes...every day is an adventure, live it to the full and make the very best of it.

Gee, thanks that certainly answered my question.

Let me clarify: I just want to know if there is any definate word as to when this engine problem will be fixed. I plan on having a fantastic time, I know that life is a garden and I should dig it, blah, blah, blah. I am just looking for facts: Is there any definate word as to when the engines will be fixed? Not expecting to have my whole life ruined if the engines are not fixed by my cruise, I just have not been able to gleen when the problem will be remedied. Curious, just curious. With shore excursions already booked, one would naturally want to know if these plans need to be altered.

Let me clarify: I just want to know if there is any definate word as to when this engine problem will be fixed. I plan on having a fantastic time, I know that life is a garden and I should dig it, blah, blah, blah. I am just looking for facts: Is there any definate word as to when the engines will be fixed? Not expecting to have my whole life ruined if the engines are not fixed by my cruise, I just have not been able to gleen when the problem will be remedied. Curious, just curious. With shore excursions already booked, one would naturally want to know if these plans need to be altered.

I think the best answer I can give right now is that no one posting here has an answer to your question and if someone at NCL has an answer they are not talking.

This problem has been going on for quite a while but due to any official believable information coming from NCL all we have been doing here is batting around rumors.

Yes we all know nature is uncertain and mechanical things break but this particular ship has way more than the usual set of uncertainties surrounding it.

Unless NCL gets off the pot and comes out with some real information I think you will not know about the state of the engines or the itinerary until you board this ship.

Having a great time on this cruise, it seems to me, will require more than the usual willingness to go with the flow and to not be too attached to any plans or shore excursions.

Having said all that, approaching this cruise in that frame of mind may make it possible for you to at least have an enjoyable vacation.

Good luck.

We received word from the Captain of the Dream from one passenger on the Panama Canal cruise that they picked up a part in LA and we received word from the Captain from another passenger that they are still waiting for a part expected to be delivered in 4 weeks. So it appears the ship's diesel will be repaired in 4 weeks, one week having already passed.

Drydocks don't sit around empty. They are booked at least a year in advance. Some ships like the Spirit get out of drydock early, but not early enough for the Dream to use. Its silly to plan a drydock without a new diesel engine on hand.

Besides there aren't any diesels available. The ones being constructed are already sold, having been ordered for a new cruise ship. Which new cruise ship should now be delayed over a year so that the Dream can use her new diesel? None.....

All of the diesels in opeation with the same model number of the Dream are being used by another ship. Which older cruise ship built in the early 1990s should be placed into a second phatom drydock on the spur of the moment to move one of its diesels to the Dream at another second phatom drydock half way around the world?

Even the Spirit's planned drydock wasn't long enough to place the new cabins on deck 13 because a subcontractor let all of us down. This diesel of the Dream has been down 4 month, not 14 months. These ships intineraries are planned and posted a year or more in advance too.

As I posted before: it ain't like driving your car to a garage to get it fixed.

As they say in the Marine Corps: Innovate and adapt.... or from what my mother use to say its best to make lemonade out of lemons.....

We received word from the Captain of the Dream from one person on the Panama Canal cruise that they picked up a part in LA and we received word from the Captain that they are still waiting for a part expected to be delivered in 4 weeks. So it appears the ships' diesel will be repaired in 4 weeks, one week having already passed.

Thank You Don! This is all I wanted to know. Thanks for being so helpful!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

Go on the cruise with a clear head/mind.

Seems you are taking out Carnival's problems out on everything else.

Get on the ship, enjoy being on holiday and not working and if by chance ports are missed, maybe a hotel based holiday is more your thing, that way you can explore these places all you want to and not have to get so wound up over one engine out of four not being 100% right.

If the excursions are booked through NCL you will be recompenced, as in they excursions will not be paid and you onboard account will be credited accordingly.

Engine fault or not, it seems that your disappointment with Carnival is clouding you opinion on every single little ripple.

Just relax, go on holiday and leave the worries of engines etc to those who are trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. Your safety is not in danger by having one engine out, it just means a drop in speed tween ports.

So what?!?!

I can think of alot worse than a faulty engine that I would let interfere with my enjoyment on holiday....something along the lines of its cancelled and all future cruises on the Dream are cancelled until further notice due to an engine fault that we are withdrawing the ship for 7 months while we sit on our thumbs and wait for the new engine and then fit it and then seatrial it...

Now try to follow, July 2005 to August 2005 is one month, to Sept 2005 is two months, and October 2005 is three months.

Now, I'll take that bet. Find me that engine laying around. And then find me that drydock just sitting empty with no backlog of ships waiting for it.

It will take eight months to a year just to make another engine. Parts for one can take months. There's less than a handfull of companies that can do it and they can't just stop what they're working on to do this job. They have to schedule it in, do a massive retooling, then mill them. Very time consuming. There are no parts laying around. These parts are extremely expensive to make and no one can tell which part may fail or even if it will fail at all. They are only made on demand as are the engines themselves.

So, yes, you are right that this is absolutely rediculous. That is, that people will rant and rave about something without facts to back up their claims.

Well, just spoke to my travel agent. Here is the update:

Sat 22 leave houston at 4:00pm

Sun 23 At Sea

Mon 24 Progresso (7am-4pm)

Tues 25 Cozumel (10am-6pm)

Wed 26 Belize City (9am-6pm)

Thurs 27 At sea

Friday 28 At Sea

Sat. 29 return to Houston 9am

$50 per person ship board credit for itineary change

Dropped Roatan and Cancun due to Dream having technical problems with speed.

Also if you wanted to not go on this ship and switch to another date, they will charge you the normal fees for doing this. Which sounds rather strange to me as this is not our fault but theirs.

I think we should each get a one day full credit for the missed day at either Cancun or Roatan. I would take a full day of credit either shopping or drinking onboard. What else is there do do on the ship except spend more money.. you can only eat so much.

Well, just spoke to my travel agent. Here is the update:

Sat 22 leave houston at 4:00pm

Sun 23 At Sea

Mon 24 Progresso (7am-4pm)

Tues 25 Cozumel (10am-6pm)

Wed 26 Belize City (9am-6pm)

Thurs 27 At sea

Friday 28 At Sea

Sat. 29 return to Houston 9am

$50 per person ship board credit for itineary change

Dropped Roatan and Cancun due to Dream having technical problems with speed.

Also if you wanted to not go on this ship and switch to another date, they will charge you the normal fees for doing this. Which sounds rather strange to me as this is not our fault but theirs.

I think we should each get a one day full credit for the missed day at either Cancun or Roatan. I would take a full day of credit either shopping or drinking onboard. What else is there do do on the ship except spend more money.. you can only eat so much.

Pretty tough to give you a day's credit when your cruise is still 7 days long; this have nothing to do with ports. Look at the number of ports some of the other lines offer on the their itineraries, I don't hink they would understand your wanting a cheaper cruise cause you are only going to 3 instead of 4 ports or whatever the situation. Now with that said, I think this subject and talk of the Dream has been beaten to death. They will fix the engine when the parts come in; they could take her out of service and loose a fortune or they could give all of you back 1/2 of your cruise costs; no matter what someone will be griping and disappointed. It's time to move on instead of us all trying to speak for NCL. NMNita

when we will be on the Dream - looking forward to it. Am I disappointed about missing Rotan - Yes but Progreso is OK - Cancun gets missed alot anyway due to the seas - $50.00 pp shipboard credit (max 100 per cabin) I'll take it just makes the cruise that much sweeter. My only concern at this point in time is Wilma - just let me get on the ship and out to sea. 11 days and counting and it can't come soon enough.

What else is there do do on the ship except spend more money.. you can only eat so much.

1. Read a book. Watch the free TV.

2. Sun bathe, eat the free ice cream.

3. Watch the free movie, eat the free popcorn.

4. Learn how to make towel animals free.

5. Play board games in the free game room. Shuffleboard anyone?

6. Go to the Free Show at the Stardust Theatre.

7. Tour the ship. There's art everywhere. Attending the art auction is free.

9. Spend your day getting dress to kill for the upcoming night.

10. Dance the night away at a lounge. You don't have to buy a drink to dance to the music. Sleep all day.

With further thought, I could probably list another ten free activities.

One very gruntled cruiser here (so long as you dont mention Golden Princess sore subject) but other than that, very gruntled.

I'd be quite happy to get $50 for every port missed, we've missed Great Stirrup Cay twice in two years now and while I'd really like to do an anchor port on the Dawn, you can't win em all.

So long as they feed me and the ship doesn't sink I'm happy.:)

Go on the cruise with a clear head/mind.

Seems you are taking out Carnival's problems out on everything else.

Get on the ship, enjoy being on holiday and not working and if by chance ports are missed, maybe a hotel based holiday is more your thing, that way you can explore these places all you want to and not have to get so wound up over one engine out of four not being 100% right.

If the excursions are booked through NCL you will be recompenced, as in they excursions will not be paid and you onboard account will be credited accordingly.

Engine fault or not, it seems that your disappointment with Carnival is clouding you opinion on every single little ripple.

Just relax, go on holiday and leave the worries of engines etc to those who are trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. Your safety is not in danger by having one engine out, it just means a drop in speed tween ports.

So what?!?!

I can think of alot worse than a faulty engine that I would let interfere with my enjoyment on holiday....something along the lines of its cancelled and all future cruises on the Dream are cancelled until further notice due to an engine fault that we are withdrawing the ship for 7 months while we sit on our thumbs and wait for the new engine and then fit it and then seatrial it...

I am not sure what makes you think you have the right to make such HUGE assumptions about my intent in asking about engine repair on the Dream. Because this engine situation has been around for a few months, I am curious as to when it might be repaired. Furthermore, I am not sure what gives you the right to assume I am a moron and need you to point out things like "If the excursions are booked through NCL you will be recompenced, as in they excursions will not be paid and you onboard account will be credited accordingly." -or- "Your safety is not in danger by having one engine out, it just means a drop in speed tween ports." I tend to think that wondering if my plans will be changed is a natural thing; not something to be ridiculed. That being said, I can assure you I will not die, nor will the world come to an end if I do not get to visit a port of call. As for suggesting that I am "so wound up over one engine out of four not being 100% right." is uncalled for and unjustified. Not once have I complained, wailed, cried or suggested life as I know it would be over if this one engine does not get repaired before we cruise. I plan on having a wonderful time; in fact, I would be shocked if this, our 3rd cruise, turned out otherwise. I haven't met a cruise ship I haven't liked thus far, and fully expect to be quite satisfied with this cruise. I will not be one of those who whine because the milk stream in the buffet is too thin (an actual post from these boards), turn my knose up at the man at the table next to me in the dinning room is wearing shorts and a baseball hat (who cares?!?!?!). And believe me, I have far more important things to do than to scheme, plot and plan for a fortnight as to what I am going to do to those phantom chair hogs around the pool, or how I can smuggle booze on the ship in my bra. For once, I wish I could ask a question here without risk of being analized by yet another armchair Dr. Phil.

Why so many people have to make such a fuss over engine problems is totally beyond me. You get compensated, which the lines do not have to do. You go on holiday which others hit by natural disasters do not.

For goodness sake get your flaming priorities right. You are going on holiday, something alot of people can only wish for.

Ships have engine problems, weather diversions and unexpected cancellations all the time...Princess, Celebrity, Carnival etc etc etc etc have problems with a variety of things. It goes with the territory.

Just quit whining about something so damn trivial and just be thankful you have a home, a holiday and that you are alive.....there are thousand and thousands in the world who don't have the luxury of any of those.

Archived