Rome hotel advice

8373seth

In general, there's nothing 'wrong' with staying near the main train station in Rome -- but it is not the prettiest area of the city, nor the most central for the sites most people want to see. But on the other hand, it's not that it is unsafe or anything. I was in Rome just a few weeks ago for one night and I stayed near Termini at Hotel Una. I was traveling solo and wasn't afraid to walk 8-10 blocks to my restaurant for dinner at 7:30 nor to walk home afterwards around 10:00.

I just feel you don't get the full "experience" of staying in the Centro if you stay near Termini. (And IMO there are fewer decent restaurant choices in the vicinity...:))

I'm not familiar with Milan. Staying near the train station near Florence should be absolutely fine.

Appreciate it! I'll keep that all in mind :)

I'm planning to get a hop on hop off pass for each city so I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to get to the sites.

Edited by Virtopia

As I've posted on another Rome hotel thread, we stayed in the Albergo Cesari for three nights in the fall of 2014 (before a TA) and really enjoyed it. Can't beat the location, and breakfast on the rooftop terrace was a terrific start to the day. We walked everywhere we wanted to go, including the Vatican. (In fact, the taxi driver who brought us to the hotel from the airport said "you won't need a taxi again until you have to leave Rome." :) )

It's not a modern hotel (and the furniture was old), but our room was pretty large by European standards, and we certainly recommend the place. And yes, if you book early, you may well get a better deal. (We booked a year in advance, and then watched the prices climb.)

We are staying at the Albergo Cesari this summer for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Chose it because of the great reviews that I found, the location, and the price. We booked it last fall and the price was <100E per night.

For the train to Florence, you'd have to depart from Termini. And Termini is one of the less pleasant areas of Rome to stay in (IMO). A taxi to/from the station is generally less than 10 euro IF you are staying in the Centro Storico, so to me it's not really worth it. (However, if budget is an issue, hotel prices are more modest around Termini...)

If you stay in the Centro Storico, specifically the very central area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona, you can walk to most of the sites. I have several favorite hotels in the area. From them, I walk just about anywhere with exception of the Vatican. That includes the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps area, Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis, Castel Sant'Angelo, Largo Argentina, the Jewish Ghetto and the old Forum Boarium (where the "Mouth of Truth" is located, along with two beautiful Roman temples....)

The Vatican you can reach by taxi, by bus or by metro (but be warned that Metro stops are very few and far between in the Centro Storico, for obvious reasons -- every time they start digging for a new line, they find extensive ruins).

Personally, there is no where else in Rome I can recommend more than this area. I'd look specifically for hotels around the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, as these are very pleasant areas in the evenings to stroll and have plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Edited to add: Actually, it's not that you couldn't walk to the Vatican from the Centro Storico. It's about a 45 minute walk or so. It's just that when I'm going to the Vatican, I'm usually planning on a long day there on my feet, so I'd rather just take a taxi and save my stamina for the museum!

I'm not the Op, but I found your information very helpful as we are going there very soon also.

The real reason I wanted to comment is because I just wanted to say how much I envy that you were able to see Palmyra before it was... Altered. Beautiful picture.

The real reason I wanted to comment is because I just wanted to say how much I envy that you were able to see Palmyra before it was... Altered. Beautiful picture.

Thanks.

I know it's off topic in this thread, but to those out there who are 'travelers' in the best sense of the word, I just want to say: If you are ever on the fence about whether or not to visit a particular place, GO.

I'm not advocated traveling into a war zone or where it is legitimately unsafe. But travel to the places you want to see in this world (or even the ones that just sound somewhat interesting) whenever you can. Don't wait!!

This was brought home to me again this morning as I was listening to a news story on the terrible destruction in Aleppo. I was there during the same trip where I visited Palmyra. Now, the places that were so colorful, exotic, vibrant, historic and beautiful are gone, casualties of the terrible civil war.

The wonderful old covered bazaar was completely destroyed by a fire early on in the fighting. The historic Umayyad mosque, dating back over a thousand years, is a shelled ruin riddled with bullet holes, its minaret collapsed as of 2013. Now in 2016, we have photos of the huge amount of damage done to the Aleppo Citadel, parts of which lie in ruins, with traces of bombardment everywhere....

I am so glad that I was able to see these places when it was possible. There are other places on my long bucket list that I'm not sure I will ever be able to (safely) visit, or whether they will even survive until such a day dawns. But if I get the opportunity, I hope to visit as many of these places as I can, and not put it off until "someday" when they are deemed 100% safe. :cool:

We are staying at the Albergo Cesari this summer for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Chose it because of the great reviews that I found, the location, and the price. We booked it last fall and the price was <100E per night.

I enjoyed a 2 night stay last year and the location couldn't be better. Nice clean room, great service and a wonderful breakfast on the terrace :D

Enjoy Rome!

Thanks.

I know it's off topic in this thread, but to those out there who are 'travelers' in the best sense of the word, I just want to say: If you are ever on the fence about whether or not to visit a particular place, GO.

I'm not advocated traveling into a war zone or where it is legitimately unsafe. But travel to the places you want to see in this world (or even the ones that just sound somewhat interesting) whenever you can. Don't wait!!

This was brought home to me again this morning as I was listening to a news story on the terrible destruction in Aleppo. I was there during the same trip where I visited Palmyra. Now, the places that were so colorful, exotic, vibrant, historic and beautiful are gone, casualties of the terrible civil war.

The wonderful old covered bazaar was completely destroyed by a fire early on in the fighting. The historic Umayyad mosque, dating back over a thousand years, is a shelled ruin riddled with bullet holes, its minaret collapsed as of 2013. Now in 2016, we have photos of the huge amount of damage done to the Aleppo Citadel, parts of which lie in ruins, with traces of bombardment everywhere....

I am so glad that I was able to see these places when it was possible. There are other places on my long bucket list that I'm not sure I will ever be able to (safely) visit, or whether they will even survive until such a day dawns. But if I get the opportunity, I hope to visit as many of these places as I can, and not put it off until "someday" when they are deemed 100% safe. :cool:

Great advice. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do a European trip, but I decided last year that I need to live life to the fullest, especially the places I've been dreaming about for so long.

We just got back from a trip around Europe, and spent 3 nights at Hotel Grifo in the Monti area of Rome. It was a nice little place, small room, but clean and comfortable. They have a lift if needed to get luggage to the room. The front desk staff are there 24/7 and the included european style breakfast is quite good. It is a close (10min) walk to almost everything except the Vatican, but close to a metro stop which will get you there. Plenty of great restaurants in this area, many seemed to be frequented by locals. Cheap but very good places and a nice gelato shop around the corner, which we stopped at twice per day :)

We will be there end of May 2017. Cruise departs June 2nd. Is that peak season?

If I hold a room now is it like US? Fully refundable ? Albergo del senato was mentioned and hotel campo de Fiori too. Those were only two I looked at but the second one prices were in Euro's and I don't know how to translate over to dollars. The Alberto del Senato was a little over 200/ night. A bit High but not horrible. Not sure if there are hidden fees.

We will be there mid-May of 2017. I searched extensively and e-mailed about 10 hotels that were of interest (we needed 9 rooms). We have chosen to stay at Residenza Argentina and Argentina Style Hotel (both located in the same building, different floors). You may want to check out the reviews on TripAdvisor; small boutique hotel, updated rooms, centrally located, well-priced.

Many hotels will not have their rates for May of next year out until June.

As far as the rates - the lowest we found were nonrefundable, charged immediately to the credit card. Many hotels were charging quite a bit more for fully refunadable rates.

Edited by sippican

We will be there mid-May of 2017. I searched extensively and e-mailed about 10 hotels that were of interest (we needed 9 rooms). We have chosen to stay at Residenza Argentina and Argentina Style Hotel (both located in the same building, different floors). You may want to check out the reviews on TripAdvisor; small boutique hotel, updated rooms, centrally located, well-priced.

Many hotels will not have their rates for May of next year out until June.

As far as the rates - the lowest we found were nonrefundable, charged immediately to the credit card. Many hotels were charging quite a bit more for fully refunadable rates.

I'll take a look- thank you!

in June I am planning to stay at a hotel near Piazza Navona for several days -- I got a good personal recommendation from a friend: Hotel Navona. It's more basic than the Albergo Cesari, but pricing in June is not bad, and I like trying different hotels.... :D

Please come back and let us know how you liked Hotel Navona.

I am planning to stay at the Albergo Cesari again next year but as you say it is nice to try different hotels and I will be checking the Albergo Senato too they were sold out last time.....

Edited by LEtue