Butchart Gardens from Downtown Vancouver

How difficult is it to get from Downtown Vancouver to Butchart Gardens? We're trying to decide whether to do it on our own or to take a $200 tour. Or to take a $300 combination whale watching and Victoria (including Butchart) tour.

Well, I guess the question is do you want to drive yourselves in a rental car, or have someone take you on a bus? There are a number of factors, including the cost of a car rental, the cost of the ferry both ways, admission to the Gardens, etc. I mean, you can take a tour and for the cost, that might be best for you. Having said that, buses get priority loading on the ferry so you will not have to wait (cars are first-come first-served unless you pay extra for a reservation).

What do you feel like doing? And how many people in your party?

Edited by Langley Cruisers

How difficult is it to get from Downtown Vancouver to Butchart Gardens? We're trying to decide whether to do it on our own or to take a $200 tour. Or to take a $300 combination whale watching and Victoria (including Butchart) tour.
Thoughts...

Edited by xlxo

It's a long day-trip if that's what you're looking into.

Doing it by public transit is almost as fast as the private tour buses, but a lot less expensive.

it involves:

Skytrain (canada line) to Bridgeport, transfer to #620 bus to Tsawwassen (2 zones $4)

Walk on ferry at Tsawwassen ($17)

#81 Bus from Swartz Bay to Butchart Gardens. ($2.50)

it involves:

Skytrain (canada line) to Bridgeport, transfer to #620 bus to Tsawwassen (2 zones $4)

We did this (before skytrain) except:

1. we started at the airport

2. we rented from Enterprise at Sydney (they picked us up) and

3. we stayed overnight and were at Butchart Gardens when they opened the next morning

4. we reversed the order to return to downtown Vancouver for our one night hotel before we boarded the ship.

While this was a great and economical adventure for my wife and I, I would not recommend it for folks who are not real familiar with public transportation.

It's a long day-trip if that's what you're looking into.

Doing it by public transit is almost as fast as the private tour buses, but a lot less expensive.

it involves:

Thoughts...

• Pay attention to the ferry schedule. On most days, it's once every 2 hours. Miss it and you'll loose 2 hrs in your day.
  • When I did the trip several years ago, there's usually more than one #620 bus, the lead bus in my experience will be an express bus on busy days. That is, it goes straight from Bridgeport to the ferry terminal. This can save 20 minutes.
  • Back around 2009, I did a bus trip from Swartz to Butchart. I noticed there were using not using full sized buses, but these tiny community shuttles that holds about 20 people on Sundays. To ensure I got on, I got to the stop 30 minutes in advance. Those that showed up 10 minutes before were really upset as they could not board and had to wait another 2 hours for the next bus. What sized buses are they now using for the #81?

Edited by xlxo

Thoughts...

• Pay attention to the ferry schedule. On most days, it's once every 2 hours. Miss it and you'll loose 2 hrs in your day.
  • When I did the trip several years ago, there's usually more than one #620 bus, the lead bus in my experience will be an express bus on busy days. That is, it goes straight from Bridgeport to the ferry terminal. This can save 20 minutes.
  • Back around 2009, I did a bus trip from Swartz to Butchart. I noticed there were using not using full sized buses, but these tiny community shuttles that holds about 20 people on Sundays. To ensure I got on, I got to the stop 30 minutes in advance. Those that showed up 10 minutes before were really upset as they could not board and had to wait another 2 hours for the next bus. What sized buses are they now using for the #81?

In the summer, the boat is every hour. However the #81 is every two hours. You should plan to ride an odd-hour ferry (which are the larger Canadian built ferries anyway).

The big thing to realize is that going over to Vancouver Island/Victoria isn't a little hop, it's roughly equivalent to popping over to England for the day from France (w/o the nice high-speed rail tunnel)

After reading all of the helpful info you have all supplied, I'm quite sure that we'll be doing the less stressful way of taking a tour -- and letting someone worry about the connections. We'll just be going over and back to the mainland in one day. Thanks for all your help!

• 5 weeks later...

How are the waters on the 90 minute ferry ride- usually calm or it depends?

We have five days in Vancouver before our cruise and would love to go to Buchart Gardens again and spend some time in Victoria. We will have a rental car, but considering vehicle transportation costs on the ferry, a tour may be just as cheap and more relaxing. We stopped at the gardens for a bit on our trip to Alaska last September, but it was so late in the year and we arrived so late in the day that we only had about an hour before the sun went down. The gardens are pretty at night, but we really didn't get to fully experience them in the daylight. DH is a garden fanatic so we would love to have more time there in the daylight.

How are the waters on the 90 minute ferry ride- usually calm or it depends?

We have five days in Vancouver before our cruise and would love to go to Buchart Gardens again and spend some time in Victoria. We will have a rental car, but considering vehicle transportation costs on the ferry, a tour may be just as cheap and more relaxing. We stopped at the gardens for a bit on our trip to Alaska last September, but it was so late in the year and we arrived so late in the day that we only had about an hour before the sun went down. The gardens are pretty at night, but we really didn't get to fully experience them in the daylight. DH is a garden fanatic so we would love to have more time there in the daylight.

Normally during the summer the seas are very calm....in fact almost like glass. Your risk of rough seas lies in the first 30 mins after departing Tsawwassen terminal and the last 30 mins before you arrive back because you are in some semi-open waters but as I said the risk in the summer is quite minimal. Here are some tour operators for your review however given that you have a rental car I think you will find it just as economical to go in it. Its a long day but people do it all the time; the ferry trip thru the Gulf Islands is outstanding and the scenery is about as picturesque as it comes.

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/victoria-tour/

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/tours/victoria-butchart-gardens-tour/

http://www.cvstours.com/butchart-gardens-from-vancouver.html

Normally during the summer the seas are very calm....in fact almost like glass. Your risk of rough seas lies in the first 30 mins after departing Tsawwassen terminal and the last 30 mins before you arrive back because you are in some semi-open waters but as I said the risk in the summer is quite minimal. Here are some tour operators for your review however given that you have a rental car I think you will find it just as economical to go in it. Its a long day but people do it all the time; the ferry trip thru the Gulf Islands is outstanding and the scenery is about as picturesque as it comes.

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/victoria-tour/

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/tours/victoria-butchart-gardens-tour/

http://www.cvstours.com/butchart-gardens-from-vancouver.html

thanks for the info!

With five days, spending some time on the island makes sense, especially with a garden fanatic and that short prior trip to Butchart being after dark. With even 2 people in a rental car, pricing would be better than the tour costs unless you're paying an absolute fortune for the car per day, plus you have total flexibility.

I'd offer the additional suggestion of looking into changing your flights and hotel - see what it would cost to arrive in YYJ, get your car there with a hotel in Victoria for the first night. This would save the time and cost of one leg on the ferry for you so might end up being a minimal cost or even saving you a few bucks unless you're looking at hefty change fees from your airline...

If it doesn't make sense to change the flights, still consider tweaking your hotels to spend a night on the island - there are many beautiful spots outside the Victora-Butchart zone, like up in Cathedral grove. Taking one of your legs between Nanaimo & Horseshoe Bay instead of Tsawassen & Swartz minimises backtracking on the island, and puts you on the Sea to Sky highway which is another beautiful drive even if you just go as far as Squamish rather than all the way up to Whistler.