Butler vs. room steward vs consierge

Boatingmom

I've already prepaid tips but now since I'm in the Haven I need to know what is the acceptable extra tip for the above individuals. In the past the only thing we asked for is towels. I read that the butler expects a $200 tip. For what? I'm not cheap but I don't want to throw money away.

Edited by Boatingmom

I've already prepaid tips but now since I'm in the Haven I need to know what is the acceptable extra tip for the above individuals. In the past the only thing we asked for is towels. I read that the butler expects a $200 tip. For what? I'm not cheap but I don't want to throw money away.

The Butler dies not EXPECT anything you only tip them for what you feel you have used them for. They deliver afternoon snacks everyday to your room and room service at your request You can certainly tell them not to but that would defeat the purpose of being spoiled in the Haven. It's your option. We have cruised the Haven one 15 times and adjust our tips for Butler and Concierge accordingly. The Room Steward ALWAYS gets extra from us.

My budget for each of the positions per day (party of 2) - Steward $15, Butler $20, Concierge $5 - I will adjust that onboard based on service level and what we request, and it takes into account that Steward is included in the hotel charge to some extent and butler and concierge are not.

well, keep in mind that the butler and concierge are NOT included in the tip pool. And tip depends on how much you use them. Even if you have no special requests, they both still do things for you.

We had a 3 requests from the butler (DVD, 1 breakfast, and to bring our champagne to a restaurant) and he brought a cake, soda and champagne to me unasked on my birthday.

The Concierge, we asked a lot of - spa appointments, chefs table, theater seating, etc and we used him for priority tendering, embarkation, disembarkation, etc.

Room steward, she went above and beyond.

There were 4 of us. I tipped butler and concierge both $200, and left $100 for the steward. Had we not used them as much, I would have tipped a bit less.

I read about some crazy high tips on here, but I really don't think they are the norm. We were in our first suite last week. We tipped the room steward $20. This is our norm for whatever kind of room we are in assuming close to normal service, keeping in mind he gets something from the service charge. There were several times we told him to skip servicing our room, and the only thing we asked for was a box of Kleenex. We tipped the concierge $30. He made us 1 dinner reservation and we joined the priority debarkation line a few times. We tipped the butler $50. He brought us the standard snacks, a movie, and one sandwich from room service. He was very attentive, but we didn't need a lot. We thought our tips were fair. They are gratuities from one of many cabins, not their entire salaries and they are not getting them only from us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tipping depends on the type of service you receive. On one of our cruises last year, the concierge tracked us down at dinner every night (she checked where and when we had reservations) and stopped by our table to see if we needed any services. She also arranged for the Engineering Chief to give us a tour of the engine control room and arranged for the Captain to give us an hour-long tour and talk on the bridge. Kinda cool since while we were on the bridge, the crew secured from tendering, pulled anchor, and got underway from GSC. She got a GREAT tip at the end of the cruise.

Most definitely this would bend the curve.. I may actually see what they can do on our next trip if the concierge is engaged.

Tipping depends on the type of service you receive. On one of our cruises last year, the concierge tracked us down at dinner every night (she checked where and when we had reservations) and stopped by our table to see if we needed any services. She also arranged for the Engineering Chief to give us a tour of the engine control room and arranged for the Captain to give us an hour-long tour and talk on the bridge. Kinda cool since while we were on the bridge, the crew secured from tendering, pulled anchor, and got underway from GSC. She got a GREAT tip at the end of the cruise.

I had a concierge on the Sun out of Vancouver that always meet us a breakfast and dinner. Didn't matter where we were at there she was. I have her card at home but I think her name was Lori Rodriquez. She was excellent. I would love a tour of the engine room. On the Sun the F&B director gave a few of us a behind the scenes tour of the galley. That was amazing. I wonder now if the concierge had a hand in that.