Changing Cruise Deposit Credit Card

corakari

Has anyone ever needed to change their charge card used to make the deposit online or transferred the deposit to another credit card by calling Celebrity (without changing anything on the reservation)? We booked a cruise with a deposit in December for February 2017 departure using a credit card we do not want to renew due to the high annual fee. Thanks for any info.

If you are asking if you can use a different CC for future and/or final payment, it is no problem, in fact you can use multiple cards.

If you are asking if you can change the card you used for the deposit to another card for the deposit, I would think that the original card has already been charged.

Ken

Yes it has been charged to that credit card but we want to get rid of that card. I guess just wondering if Celebrity will let us move the charge to another card and credit that one.

Edited by corakari

Has anyone ever needed to change their charge card used to make the deposit online or transferred the deposit to another credit card by calling Celebrity (without changing anything on the reservation)? We booked a cruise with a deposit in December for February 2017 departure using a credit card we do not want to renew due to the high annual fee. Thanks for any info.

You may cancel your credit card at any time, even if you have outstanding charges. If you want to cancel that card, just cancel it. Of course you will still be obligated to pay any outstanding charges.

Yes it has been charged to that credit card but we want to get rid of that card. I guess just wondering if Celebrity will let us move the charge to another card and credit that one.

I have done this many times, all they do is use the new card, after all, they cant get money from the discontinued one, so they will ask if you have another card and just use, I have the same with a hotel even a flight, we have all lost a card or changed card providers

If the OP is asking can they use a different card for future charges - absolutely. It happens all the time when a card is cancelled for fraud or some other reason - some 200 million cards had this last year including some 40 million last year with defective chips. You get a new card with new info. Simply update your card info on your online check in to show the new card.

If the question is can you change a payment already made? Maybe but you would risk losing your reservation. I would as someone suggested do a balance transfer if needed for a low or no interest rate.

Thanks for the replies. There is no balance on the card, it is not being used currently. We got it for the AA bonus airline miles and used it until they offered us a better card with more bonus miles...We do not need both cards and that one is going to have an annual fee added to it next month. The thing is the cruise deposit was put on it, so if we cancel the card, then have to cancel the cruise later on, just do not know what happens, maybe not a problem. But the last thing we want to do is lose the perks we got for booking in 2015.

If you cancel your cruise and the deposit is refunded to the old AA card, AA will most likely:

a.) send back the credit to Celebrity and they will issue you a check for the credit

b.) forward the credit from the old AA card to the new one.

Either way, you'll get your money. It may just take a long time. ;)

On a similar theme can anyone tell me how much needs to be available on your credit card when you are cruising and how long the cruise line keeps the amount of credit for following the cruise to cover any incidentals the reason I am asking is that we are on a long vacation and are requiredto have funds available for our campervan trip also

The thing is the cruise deposit was put on it, so if we cancel the card, then have to cancel the cruise later on, just do not know what happens, maybe not a problem.

My experience is with RCI in this instance, as the few times I have cancelled has usually been just a click to cancel online and the refund came right back to the credit card used. But one time I did ring the call centre, which for us in Aus is the same number RCI or Celebrity. When I was cancelling they asked me which credit card I wanted to refund to, and we double checked the details. So I am presuming that they can change that to another card number, as has been said, replacement cards need to be issued these days for when scamming has happened.

Lam8 - if I was having a concern about the hold on the card, I would use cash to pay the on board charges, which I often do. Sometimes I have a credit card against the seapass account, but pay cash onto it early, and then the balance a couple of days before the end of cruise. Or alternately start with a cash account and then put the credit card on the account a few days before the end when paying most of the bill off. Depends how much you are spending. The holds are usually just what has been spent each day that is not covered by a credit balance on the card which could be cash or on board credit (OBC).

It is our experience that the hold is off after about 4 or 5 days, but banks can differ a bit in this way. Also the cruise line from my experience don't add extra for incidentals, but one brand of card we have adds 15% to the hold when we do a payment on booking, as it categorises the transaction as a travelling item or some thing like that.

Thanks for the replies. There is no balance on the card, it is not being used currently. We got it for the AA bonus airline miles and used it until they offered us a better card with more bonus miles...We do not need both cards and that one is going to have an annual fee added to it next month. The thing is the cruise deposit was put on it, so if we cancel the card, then have to cancel the cruise later on, just do not know what happens, maybe not a problem. But the last thing we want to do is lose the perks we got for booking in 2015.

Any future payments you will and can give any kind of payment you want, you can even pay on 20 different cards to pay the balance if you want. Celebrity doesn't care how you pay going forward. I don't even think they keep your deposit CC info on file, I am a TA and have to give the CC info every single time I make a client payment. So go ahead cancel that card, it has no effect on your deposit (unless it was just charged like today and you want to cancel) in which case Celebrity probably would have already received that payment anyway :-)

Its a valid question, I can see why people think the one card they use is tied to future payments, but it is not. Not in the least.

Yes Corakari...we have done this. We booked a future cruise while on board and did not have the credit card we wanted to use. When we got home, I called the Capt. Club. She was able to change the deposit to the new card with no change to our reservation. At first she wasn't sure she would be able to but she worked her magic and one card was credited and the other the card was charged for our deposit.

Hope this helps! Give them a call!

Yes Corakari...we have done this. We booked a future cruise while on board and did not have the credit card we wanted to use. When we got home, I called the Capt. Club. She was able to change the deposit to the new card with no change to our reservation. At first she wasn't sure she would be able to but she worked her magic and one card was credited and the other the card was charged for our deposit.

Hope this helps! Give them a call!

Thanks, sounds like you got somebody who knew how to do it. If everything was the same - perks, price, etc. as when we booked, I would have no hesitation to call and credit deposit to card #1 then recharge it to card #2. My concern is messing with the reservation, not wanting to reset the reservation and losing perks as often reported with changes (or the nightmare in getting them restored). Maybe we will call Citibank and beg for annual fee waiver first!

You would get a check back from Citibank if there was a credit applied to a closed account. It takes a little time to issue but it is a routine situation.

It sounds like you may be trying to use the deposit toward your minimum spend on the new card?

You would get a check back from Citibank if there was a credit applied to a closed account. It takes a little time to issue but it is a routine situation.

It sounds like you may be trying to use the deposit toward your minimum spend on the new card?

Thank you, a check would be ok. New card has already received the 50K bonus miles. Citibank kept sending offers for these cards with bonus miles after spending X over 3 months. We plan to keep the second card with more perks on it but no need for the first one. Between the two cards' bonus miles and our old balance, we had enough to purchase award air tickets for the Sydney/Auckland cruise - very excited about the trip, so cancelling would only be an emergency situation. Edited by corakari

Thank you, a check would be ok. New card has already received the 50K bonus miles. Citibank kept sending offers for these cards with bonus miles after spending X over 3 months. We plan to keep the second card with more perks on it but no need for the first one. Between the two cards' bonus miles and our old balance, we had enough to purchase award air tickets for the Sydney/Auckland cruise - very excited about the trip, so cancelling would only be an emergency situation.

As the previous poster said, Citibank would either issue you a check for the closed card (which will take longer than just a credit back on your account) or they might put the credit on your open account if you have an open account with them on another card. This is not an unusual situation at all (I work for a company in which employee accounts are opened and closed all the time as people come and go). I would close the account and forget about it. Celebrity will never know that the old account was closed, and they would be able to process refunds to that account number if needed.