St Andrews golf course

aggie76

What is the best way to get to St Andrews golf course from the cruise ship?

You don't say which port. I would say you have to rent a car. From the port of South Queensbury it is about an hour drive one way. From the port of Greenock it is about 2 1/4 hours each way which doesn't seem very doable.

The drive times are based on a Google search.

A rental car would be easiest and most flexible.

Otherwise, assuming you are coming from the port at South Queensferry, you have a couple of options using public transport.

By rail you need to get to Dalmeny rail station (probably by taxi), and from there take a train to Leuchars railway station (there is no railway station at St Andrews). You will need to change trains at Inverkeithing. Buses and taxis meet trains at Leuchars for the short drive to St Andrews.

Or there are buses, though you would need to change as there are none direct from South Queensferry to St Andrews (as far as I'm aware).

There is a website here http://www.travelinescotland.com/ which helps you plan your journey and gives you options and timings. Depending on your schedule, the journey will probably take between 2 and 2.5 hours each way.

If you'd rather not hire a car, I would investigate private tours, if possible. Doing it by public transport, while do-able, will be long and possibly stressful given the various changes you would need to make.

I don't think I would consider it from Greenock, unless it was an organised tour.

Hope that helps

Edited by FirstCruiseBeth