NCL Juneau, Alaska Excursions

Heather1972

Hi all -

I'm trying to nail down what we are doing on our summer Alaska cruise. If I book the Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier photo safari through NCL, the excursion is 14 or less people with Gastineau Guiding Company? I'd hate to book this and then find out it's more like 60+ crammed on to a small boat.

The photo safari is most definitely 14 people max on the boat. GG has two sizes of boats, 20 pax for the normal tours and 14 pax for the photo safari. Best boats out there, IMHO. I'd pick the photo safari for the lower pax count alone, but the whole tour is fantastic (we've done it three times and will do it again, perhaps every time we get to Juneau).

Here's what the GG 20-person boat looks like: Cruise2015-4042 The smaller boats don't have the aft viewing platform, but have the same in/up-swinging windows that make great photo holes (with a padded arm rest that flips up onto the window sill so your elbow stays intact), and there's still a forward viewing area that's opened during whale stops.

Cam Byrnes was a great guide in 2010 and I'm sure he's even better now. Molly was a fantastic guide in 2015, and I hope she comes back. I can't remember the name of our guide in 2014. :( Captain Jen took us out to the whales in 2014 and 2015, and she gets so giddy when the passengers are having fun!

The photo safari is most definitely 14 people max on the boat. GG has two sizes of boats, 20 pax for the normal tours and 14 pax for the photo safari. Best boats out there, IMHO. I'd pick the photo safari for the lower pax count alone, but the whole tour is fantastic (we've done it three times and will do it again, perhaps every time we get to Juneau).
Agreed, I did the tour in 2014 and did not feel crowded at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who has taken the whale watching tour in Juneau, are the waters very choppy? I tend to get sick in a small boat if the water is a little rough.

You have a history of getting sick. Essential, is to have precautions in place. You are on water, there is going to be movement. Nobody knows what your threshold is. It's rare to see motion sick passengers, but the risk is not zero.

I found that Mendenhall glacier, whale watching and city tour through Viator for a good price. The reviews are good. I'm looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you - I will check that out.

NCL arrives in Juneau at 2 and leaves at 10 - Are the 2:30 or 4:30 times on Viator going to work out or is it cutting it close for a 5-1/2 hour tour? You only get 1/2 hour on each end no matter which you take. I would think the 2:30 is safer bet.

NCL arrives in Juneau at 2 and leaves at 10 - Are the 2:30 or 4:30 times on Viator going to work out or is it cutting it close for a 5-1/2 hour tour? You only get 1/2 hour on each end no matter which you take. I would think the 2:30 is safer bet.

Viator is just a third-party booking agency -- they don't conduct the excursions themselves. They book you with someone else and charge you a fee for doing it. If cost is an issue for you, I'd look to book this independently.

I never suggest using booking agents for Alaska tours. With the above tour, Mendenhall and Salmon bake- frankly it is superior to just do these separate. The salmon back is outside, it's miserable if cold and raining, it is covered, but I like my food piping hot. With Mendenhall - having the advantage of of going and returning when YOU want is a big bonus, same with the salmon bake. The Gold Creek Salmon Bake runs a loop shuttle bus right from the tram parking lot, same place you would pick up the shuttle bus to Mendenhall.