Excursions

ainz32

I'm of the school that if it is something that is a must do, book as early as you can. I would look at the cruise lines excursions and look at private excursion companies to see what is the excursion you want and what you want to pay. Ask questions on your roll call and go to the Ports Of Call threads on this site as well.

I agree with NLH Arizona. What port(s) are we talking about? Many ports have excursions for sale right when you get off the ship that cost half to third of what the ship charges. A multi-day Bermuda cruise is one where you should almost never book with NCL. However, some excursions, like to amusement parks in Florida, should always be done through the cruise line since it's very easy to get delayed and miss the ship.

I usually wait until I can get a weather report for that area. Excursions are usually 'rain or shine'. So if rain would ruin it for you, I would wait until you are a couple of days out. We had booked a private island beach excursion in Roatan that ended up on a very windy/rainy day. As it turned out ours was the only excursion cancelled (by the tour provider). All of the other tours went on as planned and there were some unhappy people. We enjoyed the day aboard in doors.

Before you start booking anything, you should read a guidebook on your ports. Many things require NO excursion at all! Once you find out all there is in each place, then you can decide HOW to do what interests you! Booking thru the ship is the easiest way, but usually more expensive...but foolproof!

Generally, beaches are easy to do on your own!

I believe in book early any cruise excursion for places with limited options (eg Alaska) and for ports where you tender (due to the priority given). For the Caribbean, we tend to book directly with local operations. It is cheaper and less crowded. For example for scuba diving in the Grand Caymens, we paid 1/3 of the cruise price and there was a 3-1 instructor ratio.