What to do/see in Lisbon

vizzog

Although we have done many cruises, this year is the first time one of our ports of call is Lisbon can anyone tell me the best things to see or do here and where P&O ships normally berth in relation to the city?

Am looking at reviews of ports etc. but would appreciate any tips :)

We were there last week and used the hop on/hop off bus. (€18 each). It was a good way of getting an overview of the city. We got off at Belem for a wonder around & cafe).

It's a pretty city that's enjoyable to look around - especially if the sun shines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although we have done many cruises, this year is the first time one of our ports of call is Lisbon can anyone tell me the best things to see or do here and where P&O ships normally berth in relation to the city?

Am looking at reviews of ports etc. but would appreciate any tips :)

Take the old tram tour but not with P&O very expensive. Go early and find out the times it is going and I think you can buy your tickets for later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Get a taxi to take you to the Bordallo Pinheiro museum. Have a browse and buy a sardine -you'll see what I mean!

Then just zig zag your way back to the river. There are little side streets and squares and you can wander for hours and downhill is always the way back. You'll find lots of interesting shops, galleries, bars and restaurants. Finally have a stroll by the riverside and back to the ship.

Hols 4

If you like old trams there are 3 funicular trams in the town and a esculater tower to go up.

The Bica funicular takes you to a viewing area with great views across the city.

Enjoy

She should dock at the Apolonia terminal, which is a about 1 mile up river from the bridge. If you fancy something different, I recommend the Segway tour http://www.lisbonsegwaytours.pt/

We have done Segways all over the world and this is one of our top two tours. Miguel is fluent in 4 1/2 languages(!) and its a great way to see a lot of a very hilly city. We did the 3hr tour and it was worth every Euro! They are only a 10 minute walk from the terminal.

Simon

We have been to Lisbon many times and have docked in recent years at Santa Apolonia (not too far from Black Horse Sq) and Alcantara (near the bridge). A shuttle bus will take you into the city centre, often near to Rossio Square or the next square along from there so pretty central. It is also an easy walk from Santa Apolonia into town.

You can get the HOHO bus just outside the terminal on the main road if you dock at Santa Apolonia.

Belem is a lovely place to explore and you can get off the HOHO bus there or just head for Belem in a taxi either from the ship or from the city centre if you shuttle there. The locally made very popular custard tarts are sold everywhere but they are particularly nice from Pasteis de Belem and you can eat in or take out – or both! Don't be put off by the queue - it moves quickly and it well worth the wait.

http://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

Hi we were in Lisbon last April on Azura, it docked right in the heart of the city about 10 minute walk, we did a Tuk Tuk tour, we got off the ship and caught the shuttle bus into the centre, walked to the tourist information centre and picked one up from outside of there, the guy driving was very good and had lots of interesting information about the city, we made several stops for photo's etc, at the end of the tour he dropped us off in the main square and we walked back to the ship. We had done a little bit of web research before hand and they all said be very careful on the trams watch out for pick pockets, our driver said it was quite bad in the tourist area's (but that can be said about most big cities), I would recommend doing the Tuk Tuk as all of them are licenced by the city and we went to a few places that only such a small vehicle could get.

Edited by ascot2012

Its a big place and the main sights are spread out so don't try and do everything! We have spent three days there and not done everything.

Old Town and Castle links to the area with lots of shops and wide boulevards, this is where the old trams run. The trams aren't very frequent and are small, somif its busy you may not get on. It is also much cheaper to buy tickets before boarding.

Belem with the Monument to the Navigators and Belem Tower etc. Modern tram, train or bus to get there.

Expo area which is further along the river. Lots of more modern architecture and the new very long bridge, cable car along the front. Metro to get there.

You can also cross the river and visit the Christ monument. Ferry and bus.