Just BACK! Island Princess-Never a More PERFECT Cruise!

socaljo

We are looking at cruising on the Island in Sept. the only rooms left as the 4 day is almost booked is a balcony on the Emerald deck. So my question is we have always cruised Forward on decks 12-15. What is your thoughts being on the lower levels mid ship? I have the deposit and full payment is due soon if we are going to do this.

We already cruising in July, this was just a cheap chance to run away for a few days so I am flexible on my decision and I have only done Grand class ships so this ill be different for us although looking forward to a smaller ship.

We are looking at cruising on the Island in Sept. the only rooms left as the 4 day is almost booked is a balcony on the Emerald deck. So my question is we have always cruised Forward on decks 12-15. What is your thoughts being on the lower levels mid ship? I have the deposit and full payment is due soon if we are going to do this.

We already cruising in July, this was just a cheap chance to run away for a few days so I am flexible on my decision and I have only done Grand class ships so this ill be different for us although looking forward to a smaller ship.

The biggest problem you'll have on the Emerald deck is getting spoiled rotten! :p Much less movement a few decks lower, mid-ship also means you won't get as much exercise walking back & forth either! :eek:

GRAB it! You won't be sorry! :D

Happy Sailing!

SoCalJo, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your descriptions. Thank you for taking the time to do so. We did the Panama Canal in December 2012 on the Coral Princess and really enjoyed it. We are going again in December 2016 on the Island Princess on the same route as you, from Port Everglades to LA.

Someone told us that after our 2012 crossing, from now on Canal Day, you have to pay extra go out on any of the public decks or go out on the Promenade Deck. We found this very hard to believe, and I am hoping you can verify this is not the case. When we went on the Coral in 2012, our favorite part was going from front to side to aft decks to view the locks from different vantage points. Anxiously looking forward to your response!

Someone told us that after our 2012 crossing, from now on Canal Day, you have to pay extra go out on any of the public decks or go out on the Promenade Deck. We found this very hard to believe, and I am hoping you can verify this is not the case. When we went on the Coral in 2012, our favorite part was going from front to side to aft decks to view the locks from different vantage points. Anxiously looking forward to your response!

We did 17 a day SF/FLL full transit last fall and whoever told you that is full of beans.

We did 17 a day SF/FLL full transit last fall and whoever told you that is full of beans.

Extremely full of beans, or something! And be sure to head to the back of Emerald deck (8) for the small aft deck. Great views, no crowds! Only CCers back there, no one else knows its there! :D

Happy Sailing!

Joanne,

Your review was a real treat... almost like being there with you. Thanks.

We have a "Move Over" cruise credit awaiting us and my wife and I are leaning towards applying it to a Panama Canal cruise late Feb 2017 on the Island Princess.

My question is about the aft cabins. I've got a chance to take an aft one on Caribe (one above where you were) and I like the idea of being able to look back as well (plus proximity to the Emerald viewing etc.)

I've read some found issues with "vibration" in those areas (engine I assume) and I'm wondering what your experience was with regard to that. You had such a wonderful voyage, it doesn't seemed to have been an issue or even noticeable.

Maybe they've addressed it by now. Thanks for any advice.

Oh also, are those balconies (Caribe aft) covered as well... if you noticed?

Joanne,

Your review was a real treat... almost like being there with you. Thanks.

We have a "Move Over" cruise credit awaiting us and my wife and I are leaning towards applying it to a Panama Canal cruise late Feb 2017 on the Island Princess.

My question is about the aft cabins. I've got a chance to take an aft one on Caribe (one above where you were) and I like the idea of being able to look back as well (plus proximity to the Emerald viewing etc.)

I've read some found issues with "vibration" in those areas (engine I assume) and I'm wondering what your experience was with regard to that. You had such a wonderful voyage, it doesn't seemed to have been an issue or even noticeable.

Maybe they've addressed it by now. Thanks for any advice.

Oh also, are those balconies (Caribe aft) covered as well... if you noticed?

Thanks so much! We did not really notice any vibrations other than when we were actually docking somewhere. It was the best location we've had. Our next cabin is only a couple cabins forward of this location...someday I want an aft suite! Someday... :D

As for the balcony, I'm pretty sure they are, but don't hold me to it! :p

Happy Sailing!

SoCalJo and Thrak,

Thank you both so much for your quick responses to my question, and verifying there is no extra charge to go out on any of the public decks on Canal Day.

I really appreciate it!

PS Thanks for the tip about the Emerald aft deck SoCalJo. Will file it in my Panama Canal Cruise folder so that I don't forget.

• 7 months later...

Husband and I are on Island FLL to San Francisco end of Feb. So enjoyed your review; looking forward to our cruise even more than before. Only regret is that I did not go for rear facing cabin!! I have motion issues and vertigo and husband thinks aft would be a problem; next cruise it will be aft facing!!

Thanks again.

Husband and I are on Island FLL to San Francisco end of Feb. So enjoyed your review; looking forward to our cruise even more than before. Only regret is that I did not go for rear facing cabin!! I have motion issues and vertigo and husband thinks aft would be a problem; next cruise it will be aft facing!!

Thanks again.

So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you! We just used the newer 24hr Dramamine - with spectacular results in 80kt winds with 20' swells - less than 2 weeks ago sailing on the Crown around South America, that was even after Cape Horn! :D We knew we'd encounter rough seas there, it's the only way they make them there! :p but that one day was crazy! And I'd do it again! But 1st other places to see!

Happy Sailing!

Thanks Scoaljo for great reviews and suggestions . Good to read such a postive experience and that you are one of those Half full persons who really enjoys life . We are doing the March 18 cruise this year on the Coral & found your reviews as I was researching info .

Enjoy your next cruise

Jim and Pat from WI

Thanks Scoaljo for great reviews and suggestions . Good to read such a postive experience and that you are one of those Half full persons who really enjoys life . We are doing the March 18 cruise this year on the Coral & found your reviews as I was researching info .

Enjoy your next cruise

Jim and Pat from WI

That's very sweet of you! We did have to use that attitude to the max recently! What an adventure we had! I've been trying to get caught up and things written down. Soon, I hope!

Happy Sailing to you both SOON!! :D

Thanks again.

Take it from someone who has family members with Vertigo and motion problems.

1) Spend some time on the back of the ship looking out on your upcoming cruise and see how you feel before you book an aft balcony.

2) DON'T look at the wake - ever. Great way to make someone who is motion sensitive extremely ill.

Extremely full of beans, or something! And be sure to head to the back of Emerald deck (8) for the small aft deck. Great views, no crowds! Only CCers back there, no one else knows its there! :D

Happy Sailing!

Just to clarify, not all of the decks are free. Correct? You still have to pay to get to the Sanctuary area and it is even more expensive on Canal day. Right?

Also, do you know if the semi-hidden forward decks are open? I think I read the one has a sign that says no entry, but no one says anything if you go out there?:confused:

I would love to get forward pictures without blue glass in the way.

Just to clarify, not all of the decks are free. Correct? You still have to pay to get to the Sanctuary area and it is even more expensive on Canal day. Right?

Also, do you know if the semi-hidden forward decks are open? I think I read the one has a sign that says no entry, but no one says anything if you go out there?:confused:

That's true, sanctuary is a paid area, don't know if $ goes up for Canal day, it's sure to be booked first!! Sorry, being "aft" fans, we never ventured to the front to see if its open without the blue glass.

Have a great time & happy sailing!!

They are open for viewing and can get crowded.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you finally ready for the Canal? What a great day, it is an all day long (10-11 hrs) passage, but totally mesmerizing! Over and over we watched the locks open and close and open and close...from different areas. Especially enjoying the hint given here on CC to go all the way aft on the Emerald Deck (8), all the way to the door with the window & go out on the small open back deck. No chairs or anything just space for about 25-30 people along the rail, with a few feet behind. The top 2 decks at the front of the ship are packed with 1000 passengers. Save that for later on the day & then you might have a chance to see something. All during the passage, there is a narration on the PA on all the open decks & on a channel in your stateroom. The neat part was that the Cruise Director suggested those with a balcony could go ahead & leave the balcony slider open & turn your TV way up so you can hear it out there! It was like our own private tour! We learned that those gazillion pound doors open & close powered by two 25hp motors since the beginning! And the water all fills & drains from gravity! SOOOO much water, 52 million gallons at a time if memory serves. We were also able to watch a container ship go through the locks along the starboard side, and another come through the locks behind us. During the morning, due to the traffic, both lanes of the locks go north, later in the day, one lane each direction. The hardest part of that day is deciding what part to miss in order to feed ourselves! They also show the PBS documentary about the locks, "A Man, A Plan, A Canal" on stateroom TV the day before several times. !

Appreciate your postings and all of this great background. Very interesting and well-done with your summaries!! Look forward to seeing it "up close and personal" during our early March sailing through the canal. We will be on the Island Princess, sailing Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. Departing Feb. 28.

Picked up last week from the library and am getting ready today to finish reading the David McCullough book titled "Path Between the Seas". Fascinating!!! It's really a very special history in the context of the shrinking world at that time as railroads and canal were being built, etc. And, the health and weather conditions there were really challenging. Love reading more about what an accomplishment was this project and all related historic and engineering aspects.

Below are some graphics showing the cover of this book, a picture of its author and then three different visuals from that period of the construction and its early use. Great to be learning so much more about this period of time and what it took to make it all happen.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,325 views for these postings.

From the Bing website's visual library, here are some pictures of the book cover, the author and three samples of the canal construction and its early use. Looking forward in early March to seeing it all "in person", "up close and personal", etc.:

DecTravel2016A%20023_zpswdxhvz5f.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20022_zps89xqitqj.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20024_zpsvyqmvyhm.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20025_zpsdemofrc1.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20026_zpsrkgbns9n.jpg

Appreciate your postings and all of this great background. Very interesting and well-done with your summaries!! Look forward to seeing it "up close and personal" during our early March sailing through the canal. We will be on the Island Princess, sailing Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. Departing Feb. 28.

Glad it was helpful! I know you'll have a great time!

Happy Sailing!

Hi,

Love the idea of the ice and washcloth.How did you carry it so it would not leak?We are going a Panama Canal cruise as well.Thank you!

Hi Libertarian,

I used a brand new Freezer style zip lock bag, then just securely zipped it and rolled it down, placing it near the bottom of the backpack. The have a double zipper now and it worked great! Have a great time!!

Happy Sailing!

• 4 weeks later...
Canal locks closing behind us, leaning over our balcony, gives the view of D726 curved balcony. Then the special tug that keeps us in line...because of all the "extra space" on either side of the ship once inside the canal!

Wish I had learned this while writing the review...but better than never! :D[ATTACH]382791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382793[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382794[/ATTACH]

We will be in D726 for partial canal cruise in September 2017. Could you let me know what furniture was on the deck?

Email would be wonderful. Nancy Speltz at yahoo.com can't wait to see it! I forgot to mention earlier that I also loved your review. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Could you let me know how you liked this cabin? We have it booked for Sept 2017 partial canal cruise.