Just BACK! Island Princess-Never a More PERFECT Cruise!

socaljo

What a wonderful experience aboard the Island! We did the 15 night Ocean to Ocean tour! Our 8th cruise, 5th with Princess. I'll try to not go "overboard" with praise...but after obsessive reading for months prior on CC, and having plenty of Princess experiences of our own, this trip exceeded ALL of our expectations.

We arrived home by 10am yesterday, living a 30 minute drive from the San Pedro, CA port. We made our own arrangements & flew to FLL from our home base, LAX, the day prior. The Princess affiliated hotel was full (at $350/night) 110 days prior, so I found the Holiday Inn Express for $219 on my own. Used their free shuttle from the airport, enjoyed a nice, clean room, ate a free, full, hot breakfast and hopped on their arranged $8 shuttle to the port. (Just caught a typo there using an I instead of the U in shuttle - I really think I'm rested enough (more about WHY later)...but please excuse any typos that I miss!) especially if it results in a not so nice word as sh-ttle...

Embarkation was fairly easy, we arrived just after Noon, slow traffic being the biggest hassle, just because of everyone's excitement to be aboard! The lines moved smoothly, just very long. We're really looking forward to the next embarkation as Platinum members! Can you spell Preferred Boarding??? Yippee! We were aboard before 1pm, our beautiful mini-suite (D724), ready and waiting. Ivan, our steward, welcoming & smiling, although bewildered that we declined the free glass of champagne. We let him know that we're usually up & out early in the mornings and he faithfully had our cabin ready for us upon return, even the mornings we had a quick breakfast at the "bacon buffet" AKA Horizon Court, prior to leaving for excursions. We love the aft cabins, this one was 2nd from the aft, covered balcony, and yes, D726, next to us, is also completely covered, that was in dispute before we sailed, that one is a rounded balcony, so it was hard to tell on the various deck plans. One CCer had booked it & was concerned. Hope she sees this now!

We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so DH had ordered the red rose bouquet. Those flowers were not only GORGEOUS, but that lasted an entire WEEK! Then he surprised me with a different flower arrangement with many beautiful tropical flowers-those also stayed so fresh & beautiful, I wanted to bring them home! But alas, no can do, per ship rules. Too big to hide, and not like we had an extra hand to carry one more thing anyway!! Silly me...

We pre-ordered the water bottle package, called room service to have one delivered upon arriving, it was there in 15 mins, calling the next week to have the 2nd one brought up. Also, speedy delivery! We did use room service daily for morning coffee & rolls. Because I'm up earlier than the "hang tag" for breakfast suggests (starts at 6:30), I wrote in the time, 5:30am please, (sometimes 6, when feeling lazy) and promptly at the appointed time, a sweet young man, Pavlo, would knock, quietly entering our dark cabin (DH still asleep) illuminated only by our flameless tealight "candles" and bring me my morning fix.

Then, darn it, he suggested we might enjoy HOT croissants with our coffee, as they were just being baked at that time. So boy, oh boy, did we... hot, flaky, buttery...thanks a bunch, Pavlo, lets see...how many croissants times how many mornings...equals HOW many pounds of deliciousness have we just eaten??? And God, no, I've not been on the scale yet, thank you very much. Although DH did weigh himself 10 days into the cruise during his ONE visit to the gym. Then back at the cabin, he's got the notepad, and he's doing MATH??? What are you up to, I asked?? He said, if I've done the math right, I've lost 5 pounds. What a BRAT, hand me a croissant, please!

More to come, wrists need to rest...

Saw you in San Pedro yesterday, on the Island, that is, as the Ruby was also there!

Welcome home!

I was surprised that the Island was there in San Pedro. I thought I had checked, and I thought the Ruby was supposed to be the only cruise ship there in San Pedro. Was there a change in the Island's schedule?

If I am wrong, and that was always part of the plan, fine by me. The Ruby's disembarkation was great. Fast and super smooth. Check-in at Southwest was smooth, too, as was TSA security.

Thanks for posting! Glad you had a great cruise! Me, too!

The problem we have with breakfast is that we generally get up too late to eat in MDR. :rolleyes:

Our next cruise (June) is my retirement cruise. I am done getting up early!

The problem we have with breakfast is that we generally get up too late to eat in MDR. :rolleyes:

Me too. Having to get up at 5:30 everyday for a 2 hour commute, put me off early mornings for ever! Each to their own, as long as they don't wake me up with their early room service.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

This is a cruise that hopefully soon my DH and I will be taking. He too wants to start in Ft. Lauderdale and fly home from LA when we are done.

Following along... :)

Good luck with that!! I've been retired for 5+ years and still wake up between 4-5 AM every day.:rolleyes:

Love reading your report...keep it coming!:). We will be on the Island in June and we are so happy to hear good news about her.

Glad your time was awesome!!

Hi! I'm also a Jo Anne, live about 45 minutes away from you, and will be doing the same ocean to ocean cruise (but beginning in San Pedro instead of ending there) in early January. Thanks so much for writing about your cruise. We are planning to do mostly Princess excursions and would really appreciate your detailed input on any excursions (Princess or other) that you did to help me decide on ours. Also, we like anytime dining but I read some negative things about it on the Island so would be interested in your input especially if you dine early (we like about 5:30.) I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip and thanks for taking the time to write.

The first two days were sea days...our favorite! I started out the day great, I'd brought along an exercise video, so I could keep up my good habits, so while DH was enjoying his first nap (or "happy hour" as he calls it) I popped it in my laptop and sweated & grunted my way right through our Roll Call's M & G! ARRGGHH! What a silly me! Who wants to exercise on a darn cruise anyway?? (I really did...) HA!! It was the only time I used the darn thing too! At home, I attend a class, run by taskmasters trying to bend you in directions God never intended, 6, yes SIX, days a week on my "guilt free eating" plan. I gave up the "D" word (diet) 4 yrs ago & have never looked back...except to count the 1500+ grunt/groan sessions! And the 40 lbs missing from me still...

Back to the missed M&G, thanks to the wonderful Ken (& Mary) aka klreisig on CC, who hiked to the aft to deliver a note to us, we were able to enjoy several fun games of Mexican Train Dominoes with many of our CC Roll CAllers, who became friends! Also on sea days, we do enjoy "donating" to Bingo...and for the 1st time DH won! Both of those sea days, he won a game! Cha-ching, for a change! Just under $350 between the 2 wins, the only wins...but it is still cheap fun for us!

Aruba was our first port, it was Easter morning, we were only there until Noon. So we just walked off & kept on going, to one far end and then the other. The small vendors, tourist stuff, chotchke sellers and some cafes were open, but the name brand stores in the Mall there were not. I heard some say those were opening at Noon that day, but cannot confirm that myself, as we all had to be All Aboard by then.

On to Cartegena, Columbia! Waiting in our appointed tour gathering area, a lady a few chairs over, pointed at DH & said, "heyyy, aren't you the guy winning all the Bingo??" LOL! He did enjoy his short-lived celebrity-status! Bingo worker, Cian, called him by name the rest of the cruise! Too cute! We took the Discovery-recommended, "Highlights of Cartegena, Fortress & Los Bovedas". Excellent tour guide with the Princess excursion, Ben Torres, perfect English, and spouting History from the moment he said Hello! It was hard to absorb it all (could have been the 85+F/10000% humidity too). He told us about everything we passed by while on the bus as well.

The hike up to the Fortress is not bad, and well worth the walk. The church was beautiful. This tour, all in its sweaty glory, was the most educational one we had! Do beware, the vendors in Cartegena are relentless! If you show the slightest interest, watch out. No eye contact works, barely. You sometimes have to push past them. And do not attempt to take a photo of any of them without offering a dollar, many are costumed for paying photo ops, and I witnessed one passenger being hassled after not offering anything to the fruit-topped lady.

Lots of groups there at the same time, everyone wears a sticker with their tour guides name! We were all Ben Torres! But with hundred of tourists milling about in these groups, I think that is a brilliant idea! Although we were never separated, it could've easily happened!

The best excursion "suggestion" I read here on CC before going was to bring a sturdy gallon-size ziplock bag (freezer style worked well). I filled it with ice from our cabin & a washcloth & tossed it in our backpack. A few hours later, melting while fanning myself, listening to the continuing history lesson, I remembered it! Oh, HAPPY day! That nice cold, wet cloth was heaven on poor faces! Then on the back of the neck, that really cools you too! It was so helpful that there was another lady in the group, who just kept looking worse as our tour progressed. I was seriously concerned about heat stroke for her. I knew her DH was getting water for her, but I went over anyway, and as I got it out & offered it to her, I said, please, use this...we don't have cooties, and sorry, but you do not look good. She didn't hesitate, and I was glad. Her comment was, why didn't she think of that! I confessed I hadn't thought of it, just got lucky & read about it! Thank you CCers!! I'll bet they had one with them the rest of their excursions!

Next up...the Panama Canal, the reason we're were on that ship!

Saw you in San Pedro yesterday' date=' on the Island, that is, as the Ruby was also there!

Welcome home!

I was surprised that the Island was there in San Pedro. I thought I had checked, and I thought the Ruby was supposed to be the only cruise ship there in San Pedro. Was there a change in the Island's schedule?

If I am wrong, and that was always part of the plan, fine by me. The Ruby's disembarkation was great. Fast and super smooth. Check-in at Southwest was smooth, too, as was TSA security.

Thanks for posting! Glad you had a great cruise! Me, too![/quote']

We were equally surprised to see the Ruby! :p Didn't expect double disembarkation going on...but it didn't seem to congest things much at all for us. No change to the Island's schedule, this was the itinerary I've been salivating over for a year! :D

Glad to have come across your review, the Panama canal is on my bucket list.

A friend of mine is taking a PC cruise with NCL and it doesn't go all the way through, I will enjoy making the comparisons.

Thanks for your review.

Before moving on to the Canal, a few thoughts on some basics. For instance, crew attitude was outstanding throughout the ship, from the young lady that kept the ladies rooms on the Promenade & Fiesta Decks absolutely SPOTLESS, smiling and waving to me from 20 yards away after we met in the doorway during the first couple sea days.

Being way aft, we often walked through long halls, passing by other stewards, who always looked up to greet us or stepped aside, or apologized for inconveniencing up for a split second while they moved aside. Everyone had a smile, everywhere we went.

Also noticed that "chair hog" notices in the Patter, regarding the pool areas, now state 15 mins to be away from your chair. Perhaps it was the style trip, not beach oriented, but even on beautiful sunny sea days, chairs were available! We went several times and never had a problem, many choices. Nice change! I usually have used our balcony because I hated the search, but on the Island, the dolphin deck mini suites are ALL covered! DH used it for a change and I didn't hog it!

We did enjoy the Motown Show & On the Bayou, both were great performances, with very talented casts. We later learned when seeing the Bayou (last formal night) - the cast was all fighting a respiratory bug & felt awful, but it was certainly not apparent in the show! We went to see only one comedian, it was the late night (for us) 10:45, R rated, Jammin' Jay somebody, I do know that we are spoiled by living in So Calif & being able to go to the Improv, so when he couldn't get his show rolling after 20 minutes, we left. We were still able to get the last of the seats in the Explorer Lounge for it at 10:35, which was nice, on the side, towards the back, great for leaving early when we couldn't get in to it. Not that he was foul or anything at that point, just not making us laugh.

We also attended the Love & Marriage show, funny to watch, potentially embarrassing as a participant. Our favorite music came from watching the Souvenir Trio (piano, guitar, violin) in the atrium. They played for 45 mins during the ATD line formation. We made a point to be ready for dinner early (8pm Trad scheduled became 7:45 onboard) so that we could be sitting in La Patisserie by 7:15 when they began. What a repetorie! We sat there probably 12 nights of the 15 and can't remember hearing the same song twice during the 2/3 we were able to enjoy. Sure wish Trad Dining had remained scheduled for 8pm!

Are you finally ready for the Canal? :p What a great day, it is an all day long (10-11 hrs) passage, but totally mesmerizing! Over and over we watched the locks open and close and open and close...from different areas. Especially enjoying the hint given here on CC to go all the way aft on the Emerald Deck (8), all the way to the door with the window & go out on the small open back deck. No chairs or anything just space for about 25-30 people along the rail, with a few feet behind. The top 2 decks at the front of the ship are packed with 1000 passengers. Save that for later on the day & then you might have a chance to see something.

All during the passage, there is a narration on the PA on all the open decks & on a channel in your stateroom. The neat part was that the Cruise Director suggested those with a balcony could go ahead & leave the balcony slider open & turn your TV way up so you can hear it out there! It was like our own private tour! We did select our cabin (D724) for its location to easily view the locks closing behind the ship from our balcony! Unfortunately, that also meant I spent MANY long periods of time with my neck wrenched sideways...which also meant it did not like rotating AT ALL the next day...sorry, I digress.

We learned that those gazillion pound doors open & close powered by two 25hp motors since the beginning! And the water all fills & drains from gravity! SOOOO much water, 52 million gallons at a time if memory serves. We were also able to watch a container ship go through the locks along the starboard side, and another come through the locks behind us. During the morning, due to the traffic, both lanes of the locks go north, later in the day, one lane each direction. The hardest part of that day is deciding what part to miss in order to feed ourselves! They also show the PBS documentary about the locks, "A Man, A Plan, A Canal" on stateroom TV the day before several times.

Next up, Costa Rica...lions and tigers and bears?!? No, but monkeys, iguanas & bats, OH MY!