Tell me what I need to know about Miami.

murph1031

We will be sailing on NCL in Nov. never visited Miami before. We arrive in Miami around 3pm day before cruise. Should we get a hotel near South Beach and hang there for the evening, or if there anything interesting downtown? Pretty much just plan on eating dinner and walking to see the sights.

Would love a hotel recommendation. I assume we would take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, then taxi next morning to the port. What about after the cruise. Is there plenty of taxis available outside after the cruise to get a ride to the airport? We have a 11.30 am departure time, is this a safe departure time or are we cutting it close? We arrive back in on a Sunday morning if that make a difference.

Thaks

Murph

Downtown Miami and some of the other areas less popular with cruiser (Coconut Grove, etc.) can be fun. Lots of cruisers love the Mary Brickell area with lots of local dining options; the Hampton Inn and a couple of other hotels there are most often suggested.

Closer to the port is the Bayside Market,with dining, tours (boat and hop-on/hop-off, etc.); the Intercontinental hotel, and the Doubletree on Biscayne Blvd and next door Marriott are a few hotels close by that are often suggested. Some rooms at all 3 offer a view of the port. :cool:

South Beach can be a lot of fun and is the "Miami" most often seen in the movies and TV shows.

Taxi from MIA airport to downtown hotels will cost about $25-30; cab to SB will run about $35+ Lots of cabs available to get from POM back to MIA - flat rate fare is $27+tip.

If you choose South Beach over downtown Miami ( which is a great choice) , I would recommend these South Beach hotels ; either the Redbury South Beach ( larger hotel ) or the a Marlin Hotel which is a classic Art Deco boutique hotel. I have stayed at both , and both are great properties in great locations. Depending on the time of year , both should be around $250 / night but prices can vary widely based on a number of different variables !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by lablover61

Thanks for the replies.

So do you think a 11.30 flight home after the cruise is safe? Sunday morning

I usually take the 11:30 flight back to Atlanta after a cruise, and have easily made it every time with self debarkation... In fact, last time I went for the 10:15 and still made it in plenty of time...