Missed $300 USD On-Board Promotion by 1 Day!

traveller236

Hello,

Has anyone experienced missing out on a promotion?

As a first-time cruiser, I met with a TA on Friday, March 11, 2016. After much discussion, looking at different cruises, I decided on a B2B 14-day Caribbean cruise in December 2016. The TA called the Cruise Line and reserved the stateroom I wanted, but told me to think it over on the weekend and I have until Monday, March 14th noon to make a deposit to secure the booking.

BTW - I have carefully saved $ over the years, because this cruise is to celebrate my 50th birthday.

After discussing my plans with my family, I called the TA Monday morning, gave my credit card no. to secure the deposit on the stateroom. On March 16th, I was excitedly browsing the cruise I booked and noticed a $300 USD on-board promotion effective March 15th. I emailed my TA and she said she called the head office, emailed me back days later to advise that I'm not eligible for this promotion due to timing, yada yada yada...

I even called the cruise line directly and they said, because I booked the cruise through a TA, they cannot discuss the fare.

I've been saving for years to celebrate my 50th birthday, and I feel the TA probably knew about the upcoming promotion and didn't tell me to wait until the next day to make the deposit. Perhaps I don't understand how it works in the cruise business, but I think it's so unfair to not be eligible for this on-board credit.

Comments/advice welcomed.

hey traveller - usually when an on board credit (OBC) is offered, the rate can go up drastically. not always, but quite common.

I purchased my next cruise in early Feb.......today there are incentives now added for new bookings.....but the rate on the cabin is $700 per person more.

I am happy with my rate without the incentives.

dave

hey traveller - usually when an on board credit (OBC) is offered, the rate can go up drastically. not always, but quite common.

I purchased my next cruise in early Feb.......today there are incentives now added for new bookings.....but the rate on the cabin is $700 per person more.

I am happy with my rate without the incentives.

dave

so very true say $700 more for $300 obc.Plus the obc they give you is not costing them 100%.Ill give you obc $10,you spend it on a drink which only costs me $3 to $4.

Once you book with a TA, the cruiseline will not speak to you about your cruise. They are your representative.

When we've booked with a TA, the only thing the cruiseline would talk to us about was an issue with the loyalty program.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This wouldn't happen to be Royal Caribbean, would it? If so, they have been having a new promotional "sale" practically every other week. Last week was free gratuities; this week is free taxes/port fees. Perhaps other cruiselines have similar promotions and allow for price adjustments, as RCI does. I would suggest watching the price and promotions on the cruiseline's website (check weekly or even daily if you're up for it), and call your TA for a price adjustment as soon as a better deal/promotion comes up. I've already price adjusted twice since I booked in December (getting $200 OBC in one promotion and a $509 refund with a room upgrade in another), and I actually could get a whole $12.58 back in this week's sale, but not worth the embarrassment of calling over $12, lol. My point is, chances are you WILL be able to take advantage of future promotions. Just be vigilant about checking yourself rather than waiting for the TA to check for you. I realize that somewhat defeats the point of using a TA. Good luck!

Hello,

Has anyone experienced missing out on a promotion?

As a first-time cruiser, I met with a TA on Friday, March 11, 2016. After much discussion, looking at different cruises, I decided on a B2B 14-day Caribbean cruise in December 2016. The TA called the Cruise Line and reserved the stateroom I wanted, but told me to think it over on the weekend and I have until Monday, March 14th noon to make a deposit to secure the booking.

BTW - I have carefully saved $ over the years, because this cruise is to celebrate my 50th birthday.

After discussing my plans with my family, I called the TA Monday morning, gave my credit card no. to secure the deposit on the stateroom. On March 16th, I was excitedly browsing the cruise I booked and noticed a $300 USD on-board promotion effective March 15th. I emailed my TA and she said she called the head office, emailed me back days later to advise that I'm not eligible for this promotion due to timing, yada yada yada...

I even called the cruise line directly and they said, because I booked the cruise through a TA, they cannot discuss the fare.

I've been saving for years to celebrate my 50th birthday, and I feel the TA probably knew about the upcoming promotion and didn't tell me to wait until the next day to make the deposit. Perhaps I don't understand how it works in the cruise business, but I think it's so unfair to not be eligible for this on-board credit.

Comments/advice welcomed.

As others have posted the cost of the cabin usually increases to offset the OBC promotion. When checked the website did you do a mock booking to compare the cabin cost at the time you checked vs. what you're actually confirmed at?

For example I booked a cruise a few weeks ago and compared it to RCCL's current promotion. Though the current promotion includes prepaid taxes, port fees and gratuities the total cabin cost increased by approximately $400 After comparing all costs my original cruise is cheaper by$200 even having to pay taxes, port charges and gratuities. That's why you really need to look at the full picture before getting upset .

Did you TA offer or did you ask the TA for any perks when you originally booked. Not ever TA gives perks but it's always worth asking.

Thank you all for responding.

xxoocruiser Thank you for your advice. Actually, I always look at the big picture! I was on the cruise line websites several weeks before showing up at the TA's. I knew what I wanted before I walked in the door. I wanted to use a TA, because they're supposed to help you out. How was I supposed to know there would be a promotion the next day. I'm sure TA's are aware of upcoming promotions...especially if the promotion is starting the next day. I should have been informed. I'm not upset, just disappointed. If I were that upset, I would have cancelled the booking.

Bound4Bermuda - Next cruise, will be Royal Caribbean.

To clarify, I emailed my TA as soon as I saw the OBC advertised on the website on March 16th. It took over a week to get an answer from my TA after sending a couple more email reminders. By then, the stateroom prices advertised on the cruise line's website, went up by $200.00, so cancelling and rebooking would end up costing more. Oh well, lessons learned. If I ever take another cruise, I'll never book with a TA and definitely book directly through the cruise line as suggested by a few of you.

Thanks again for all your great advice and comments. :):)

Edited by traveller236

Why didn't you call the TA when you saw the change in price?

TA's do not have advanced warnings on sales. Sometimes TAs will have blocks of cabins available with special perks.