P & O Baltic Cruise Shore Excursions - are they worth it?

60notout

Very much a newbie to forums! Have asked a question about St Petersburg as P & O's excursions didn't seem value for money, but what about the other ports - Helsinki, Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Zeebrugge/Bruges - would we be better to do our own thing? Are these ports easy or miles away from the centres. Any advice would be much appreciated. This cruise was a surprise from my husband last week, and I haven't done any research on it ;)

All, with the exception of St Petersburg are easily doable on your own. I think we're on the same cruise as you and we have booked a private tour in StPetersburg for our convenience and to have the benefit of the visa waiver. We've used Rick Steve's guide book to check out the other stops and will be sorting ourselves out with trips and visits at each stop. The only think we're considering is the coach to Bruges as public transport isn't so easy with a 2.5yr old in tow (plus it's a Sunday stop).

In short, you can do most of it without fuss straight from the gangway by yourselves, but you may find the comfort and ease of the ship's tours equally inviting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done some of these ports.

Helsinki - easy to do on your own. There is a tram station about 5 min walk from the dock, buy a day ticket and take the circle trams hopping on and off when you fancy. It also covers the boat over to the island as well.

Tallinn - about 15 min walk from the old part and its a lovely walk around there. You can pick up a self guided walk from the TO or I think they do run them as well

Copenhagen - this about 15 mins again to the centre, we took a boat ride from the harbour - best reviewed one was something blue. Sorry cant remember the name. 1 hour tour in english excellent value. If stopping for a drink check the prices we paid £9 for one drink!

. The only think we're considering is the coach to Bruges as public transport isn't so easy with a 2.5yr old in tow (plus it's a Sunday stop).

We're a bit confused as to when we stop at Bruges, as when my husband booked it, it was the first stop on Monday 6th. Now it seems to be at the end of the cruise. We were going to call them tomorrow. Website is confusing too.

We're a bit confused as to when we stop at Bruges, as when my husband booked it, it was the first stop on Monday 6th. Now it seems to be at the end of the cruise. We were going to call them tomorrow. Website is confusing too.

It was changed about 2 weeks ago and is now last port of call with 3 sea days instead of 2 at beginning of cruise. I knew from cruise critic forum but was only informed by our TA a couple of days ago!

When we went to Tallin on Adonia, so not one of the huge ships, where we were docked was far enough from the town centre for P&O to put a shuttle bus on for passengers. We went into the town centre on our excursion and I would say it would be longer than a 15 minute walk. One way or another do go into the old part of Tallin - it's lovely - reminded me of Bruges centre in some ways.

P&O will probably have a shuttle service to Blankenburg, This is the town where you can get the train to Bruges It is a sea side town so if you want a stress free relaxing day have a walk along the beach, There is a Reptile zoo on the sea front which we enjoyed last year with young children. A small pier and lots of coffee shops.

It all depends on your age and how able you are and the most important where the ship will dock in each port which you will have to do an internet search. Tallinn if the ship docks in town there is a market quayside and a very enjoyable 15 minute walk in to Tallinn old town but there have been occasions where cruise ships have docked at a berth 10miles from the Old Town so a shuttle bus is necessary. Copenhagen again depends where the ship docks as there are two areas now in use. One is a lovely 15-20 minute walk past Little Mermaid and Nyhavn, where you can get a lovely canal boat tour from, into city centre. There has recently been a new cruise terminal built which we used last June on Princess for larger cruise ships if you dock there then you will either need a shuttle bus or there is a service bus that runs on days cruise ships are in port into city centre.

Very much a newbie to forums! Have asked a question about St Petersburg as P & O's excursions didn't seem value for money, but what about the other ports - Helsinki, Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Zeebrugge/Bruges - would we be better to do our own thing? Are these ports easy or miles away from the centres. Any advice would be much appreciated. This cruise was a surprise from my husband last week, and I haven't done any research on it ;)

Hopefully you will find these two links helpful for Zeebrugge and Bruges...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/15/zeebrugge-for-dummies/

18653392876_ef4759f930_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/15/one-way-to-do-bruges/

If you are up for it get there early and avoid the queues for the Belfry...

18679646415_1f24f0963a_z.jpg

We did the Baltics on Azura a few years back and are doing it on the Eclipse next month. St Petes is best done on a 2 day local tour. Look at the ports of call section for recommendations or your roll call for your cruise to join other groups. We like walking and almost every port has a free walking tour if you google it. We love the free tours and you tip if appropriate at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the Baltics on Azura a few years back and are doing it on the Eclipse next month. St Petes is best done on a 2 day local tour. Look at the ports of call section for recommendations or your roll call for your cruise to join other groups. We like walking and almost every port has a free walking tour if you google it. We love the free tours and you tip if appropriate at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We looked at a late deal on Celebrity Eclipse this summer but was disappointed that the ship was berthed 10miles from Tallinn and not the normal cruise berth where there is a market and is walkable to old town.

We looked at a late deal on Celebrity Eclipse this summer but was disappointed that the ship was berthed 10miles from Tallinn and not the normal cruise berth where there is a market and is walkable to old town.

That may or may not be accurate

We were on that cruise with the Eclipse last summer and were expecting to berth outside Tallinn - Muuga ? - but we didn't - berthed in the centre as usual. It seemed to be a mistake and there was never any prospect of berthing in Muuga

That may or may not be accurate

We were on that cruise with the Eclipse last summer and were expecting to berth outside Tallinn - Muuga ? - but we didn't - berthed in the centre as usual. It seemed to be a mistake and there was never any prospect of berthing in Muuga

The cruise we looked at this summer actually named the berth and after checking online where it was didn't book it. It also actually names Muuga as the berth in Tallinn in the itinerary on Celebrity website.

The cruise we looked at this summer actually named the berth and after checking online where it was didn't book it. It also actually names Muuga as the berth in Tallinn in the itinerary on Celebrity website.

Our Celebrity cruise next month also showed Muuga as the port for Tallinn. I contacted the port authority and a very nice lady responded saying we would be docking in the Tallinn town port and no cruise ships use Muuga as its and industrial zone. Tallinn port was recently extended to accommodate even more ships. Not sure why Celebrity has put Muuga as the port for Tallinn for most/all of this years stops there.

The cruise terminal in Tallinn near the old town has space for four ships to berth so I doubt very much that they'd need to use any distant berths any more. The old town is walkable but when we were there last year on Arcadia there was a shuttle laid on (free for those on select fares) which actually dropped off at the far end of the old town, so we probably spent longer walking back to the start of our self-guided walk than we would have done if we'd just walked from the ship!

I think the new cruise terminal at Copenhagen (Oceankaj) is mostly used for turnarounds by the American lines' ships that are based in the Baltic for the whole season, P&O ships that are just visiting will most likely berth at Langelinie near the Little Mermaid, which is easily walkable from the city.

The cruise terminal in Tallinn near the old town has space for four ships to berth so I doubt very much that they'd need to use any distant berths any more. The old town is walkable but when we were there last year on Arcadia there was a shuttle laid on (free for those on select fares) which actually dropped off at the far end of the old town, so we probably spent longer walking back to the start of our self-guided walk than we would have done if we'd just walked from the ship!

I think the new cruise terminal at Copenhagen (Oceankaj) is mostly used for turnarounds by the American lines' ships that are based in the Baltic for the whole season, P&O ships that are just visiting will most likely berth at Langelinie near the Little Mermaid, which is easily walkable from the city.

We docked there last summer on our Princess Baltic cruise when we called in Copenhagen for the day so its not just for turnaround days for cruises departing from Copenhagen. The only P&O ships mentioned on Copenhagen port schedule are Azura, Arcadia and Aurora, Arcadia and Azura are scheduled to berth at Oceankaj and the other times Arcadia and Aurora are scheduled to berth at Langelinie.

Edited by majortom10