Galveston and alcohol

srobins

Can someone who has cruised out of Galveston recently answer what may be a stupid question? I may be crazy, but I thought I read somewhere that because of Texas laws, the cruise ships cannot start serving alcohol until they are out to sea. Is that correct? We sail in December and on our Christmas cruises in the past we were served Champagne as soon as we boarded. Just wondering if they will do that again this year.

Thanks,

Sherryl

Seems like everything was open when we boarded. Texas has some strange laws about buying and selling booze on Sunday.

Before noon is a no no, but after noon, you can buy beer and wine in stores. Liquer stores are closed on Sunday, so stock up saturday night they close at 9pm or 10. REmember the beer and wine before noon, so make sure to buy the night before, sales end most places at midnight for grocery stores.

As I recall drinks were slightly more expensive up till the time we got into "international waters". The bartender said it had something to do with the taxes and the requirement that alcohol serverd while in port and on the way out had to be bought in Texas. I remember questioning why my rum and coke suddenly got less expensive an hour or so after departure.

Seems like everything was open when we boarded. Texas has some strange laws about buying and selling booze on Sunday.

Before noon is a no no, but after noon, you can buy beer and wine in stores. Liquer stores are closed on Sunday, so stock up saturday night they close at 9pm or 10. REmember the beer and wine before noon, so make sure to buy the night before, sales end most places at midnight for grocery stores.

Just to clarify:

Texas Liquor Laws

Retail for Offsite Consumption -

Beer and Wine available at grocery and convenience stores:

Monday through Friday 8am to 12am(midnight)

Saturday 7am to Sunday 1am(morning)

Sunday 12pm(noon) to 12am(midnight)

Liquor/Package Store:

Monday through Saturday 10am to 9pm

Sunday closed all day

Yeah, we gotta plan ahead down here for those Sundays! :rolleyes:

Liquor served onboard cruise ships while in Texas waters, especially while still tied up to the pier, are subjected to the State sales tax. So, until the ship is in international water, all drinks served on board get hit with an 8 1/2% sales tax.

So, until the ship is in international water, all drinks served on board get hit with an 8 1/2% sales tax.

Hey, that's less tax than Arkansas. I think I'll wait until I'm on the ship to buy my alcohol after all.

Archived