Laws re taking food off ships

mammajamma2013

Mildly surprised by that. Alcohol is not inadmissible, although it may be dutiable. Possibly it was Cuban? They were still asking me about Cuban cigars when I passed through CBP preclearance in Bermuda last week. (I didn't have any). Seen people lose bottles at the Canadian border (northbound), but that's different.

Nope, simply "lost" in the bowels of the ship. They had their tag where it had been turned in as soon as they got back on the ship in Cozumel but it couldn't be found come disembarkation day.

Nope, simply "lost" in the bowels of the ship. They had their tag where it had been turned in as soon as they got back on the ship in Cozumel but it couldn't be found come disembarkation day.

Same thing happened to me on the Eurodam, stayed on for a B2B and it was supposed to be turned back over to me at the end, and no one could find it. I accepted a small amount of compensation and wondered how much of their own stock goes west.

*GASP* You were allowed to bring in a Kinder Egg!!!???!!! [emoji1]

I had no idea that Kinder Eggs were not allowed to be brought back. My daughter has asked for us to bring two things back from Vancouver, Ketchup Potato Chips and Kinder Eggs. Looks like she'll be getting two bags of chips. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

I got off the plane from Paris a few years ago and had a pear in my purse and the German Shepard walked right by me.

At least in this country Shepards are used to detect drugs or explosives. Beagles are used to detect food items. Each dog is trained in a special way to detect a specific substance. There are exceptions however like most things. It sounds like the Shepard was not trained to detect food. Lucky you were not carrying drugs or explosives though. :rolleyes:

Kinder Eggs are subject to seizure under a either an FDA or CPSC rule enforced by CBP, which states that any food with a non-food product concealed inside is adulterated. While you are unlikely to be fined, if they're found, they are seized and destroyed, hence the vague answer of "candy".

I'm a notorious fan of Canadian junk food, but don't have kids of my own, so Kinder Eggs are a rare import for me. Consider throwing in a Mr Big, Coffee Crisp, and Wunderbar. They're delicious. For the chips, ketchup is a must, but I would be remiss to not mention All-Dressed chips, which are like a cross between salt & vinegar, ketchup and BBQ.

We try to bring homme Belgian chocolate from Italy and they let us but taking bedding to my Father in law in Italy is like skinning a live bear. They try to confiscate everythign.

Okay, I read that wrong and thought you said live bears confiscate everything. ;) LOL.

There was an article in the Washington Post a couple of years ago about all the different food items confiscated at Dulles, and most quite openly carried (that is, not concealed). As I recall, some were alive, insects and the like.

I think I'll post this here since it was funny at the time. I was returning to CA from Hawaii and wasn't an experienced traveler at the time (early 80's). I checked my big bag but still had my backpack that had to go through the machine. I saw an inspector pull my pack off the line and sternly look me in the eye and asked 'Do you have any onions?' OK, now I know about Maui onions but then, no. I stared at him since it seemed like such a random question. No, I stuttered. With an 'ah ha' look in his eye he stuck his hand in my bag and pulled out... the apple I had forgotten about, dropped in my bag thinking it could be a snack later on. 'No fruit!' Or onions, either.

DZ

Sorry for the misspelling but was in a hurry. We came back from Australia-NZ and the AG people searched our tent and sleeping bags and found 3 seeds. The Guy said "WHAT ARE THESE?!!" I said , They look like seeds to me, how the hell would I know. They decided they were harmless weed and let us go but after I found out they looked like Marijuana.

Edited by WupperAV